Covenant

I heard Dr Hahn define covenant as “a sacred family bond”. I also heard a non-Catholic define covenant as “an agreement between God and man”. Are there any references to support Dr Hahn’s definition?

I think the first covenant between Adam and Eve is the type of covenant from thenceforth.

Yes!

"I will be your God and you will be my people."

His book Letter and Spirit is worth reading, if one is interested in further study.

Covenant is recorded in Liturgy.

Liturgy is recorded in Sacred Scripture.

The recording of liturgy is what make Scripture Sacred.

Well, I have read his work five times, I learn a great deal from him.

God often describes his relationship to Israel in marriage terms.

[quote="kkollwitz, post:4, topic:310550"]
God often describes his relationship to Israel in marriage terms.

[/quote]

:)And there I will give her her vineyards, and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt. "And **in that day, says the LORD, you will call me, 'My husband,'* and no longer will you call me, 'My Ba'al.' For I will remove the names of the Ba'als from her mouth, and they shall be mentioned by name no more. And I will make for you a covenant on that day with the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the creeping things of the ground; and I will abolish the bow, the sword, and war from the land; and I will make you lie down in safety. And I will betroth you to me for ever; I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness; and you shall know the LORD. (Hosea 2:15-20)*

There are five major Covenants in the Sacred Scriptuecares of the People of God, Creation (Adam and Eve), Noah, Abraham, Moses and David.

The Covenants were made in Liturgy or liturgical settings.

The Covenant is a loving oath by God and humans.

The Covenants were recorded in Sacred Scriptures, because the sacred covenants were written down.

God made an oath, vow, promise to love us!

Those Covenants are continuously activated in our Liturgy--the Seven Sacraments, Benediction and Liturgy of the Hours. The Eucharist is the summit of those Sacraments.

A few quick ideas....

Here are focused quotes from two Bible dictionaries, Nonconformist and Presbyterian respectively, on the man-to-man aspect of the word.

Smith’s Bible Dictionary (1884): “Covenant between man and man, i.e. a solemn compact or agreement, either between tribes or nations, (Joshua 9:6,15; 1 Samuel 11:1) or between individuals, (Genesis 31:44) by which each party bound himself to fulfill certain conditions and was assured of receiving certain advantages. In making such a covenant God was solemnly invoked as witness, (Genesis 31:50) and an oath was sworn. (Genesis 21:31) A sign or witness of the covenant was sometimes framed, such a gift, (Genesis 21:30) or a pillar or heap of stones erected. (Genesis 31:52)”

Easton’s Bible Dictionary (1897): "This word is used (1) of a covenant or compact between man and man (Gen. 21:32), or between tribes or nations (1 Sam. 11:1; Josh. 9:6, 15). In entering into a convenant, Jehovah was solemnly called on to witness the transaction (Gen. 31:50), and hence it was called a “covenant of the Lord” (1 Sam. 20:8). The marriage compact is called “the covenant of God” (Prov. 2:17), because the marriage was made in God’s name. Wicked men are spoken of as acting as if they had made a “covenant with death” not to destroy them, or with hell not to devour them (Isa. 28:15, 18). "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.