Cover songs that aren't as good as the original

No Doubt - It’s My Life

Talk Talk - IT’S MY LIFE (Original)

Madonna covered American Pie? < shudders >

Yeah… she bit off more than she could chew.

Devo put their own unique, unusual spin on this one, but it doesn’t come close to the Stones’ original.

Yeah… I can’t get no Satisfaction with this.

Speaking of unusual spins on classic songs, Nevermore has an interesting cover of Simon & Garfunkle’s “Sound of Silence.” I didn’t even realize it was a cover the first few times I heard it. I thought it was just an original song of theirs that happened to share the same title. Then I started paying attention to the lyrics and realized it was a cover. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I"ve listen to it once… nevermore.

Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell’s “You’re All I Need To Get By” is one of the most beautiful modern love songs The verses start quiet, almost humble, then build to the chorus stating that no matter how bad things may get they’ll be there for each other.

While only partially a cover (it features the same melody, chorus, and one of the verses) the cover by Method Man and Mary J. Blige is atrocious. It strips away a lot of the musicality, the emotional range, really most everything that made the original so great.

I like both versions. It helps that they are so different.

What I don’t like are covers that try too hard to be the same. If all you can do is just copy the song, why bother?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.