Covering the Host

Hello all, I attend Eucharistic Adoration every Saturday morning. The Church I visit has perpetual adoration. I was there Saturday and for the first time I was left alone. After about 90 minutes I had to go; for two reasons. I was really hesitant to cover the host as the Church asks, because I am not Catholic. I cannot participate in the Eucharist so I didn’t know if I was authorized to cover the host. Well I did after much fear and trembling. I asked the forgiveness of God if I did wrong. My question is, did I do right? It may happen again and I want to be sure of what I can or cannot do. Peace Mike

1. I don’t believe Jesus would *ever *get mad at you for trying to show Him loving respect in humble fear and reverence. I think you’re on safe ground so far, so don’t worry about it.

2. I wouldn’t do it again without checking with the parish priest - that said, if you’re there again without anyone else and you need to leave and you still haven’t spoken with the priest, do just as you have done.

3. Become Catholic as soon as you can!! Can’t wait to have in our family!! ;):thumbsup:

May God bless you and keep you,
RyanL

I thought that Perpetual Adoration was just that perpetual.

I also thought that only a priest or deacon should be covering the Eucharist.

If people do not sign up for Adoration for the whole day then it is not Perpetual Adoration.

please keep attending your Adoration time, Jesus wants you there with Him and you are always welcome. If the instructions tell those attending to cover the host if they have to leave, then you are quite right to do so. Whether or not that is the proper procedure is not your concern, but that of the priest in charge. Since you are a “regular” you should stop by the parish office and let them know how many times you must leave after your hour with nobody there. If they do not have enough people signed up for a bare minimum of two adorers for every time slot, they are not allowed to maintain perpetual adoration, and will have to come up with another plan.

[quote=Mike316]Hello all, I attend Eucharistic Adoration every Saturday morning. The Church I visit has perpetual adoration. I was there Saturday and for the first time I was left alone. After about 90 minutes I had to go; for two reasons. I was really hesitant to cover the host as the Church asks, because I am not Catholic. I cannot participate in the Eucharist so I didn’t know if I was authorized to cover the host. Well I did after much fear and trembling. I asked the forgiveness of God if I did wrong. My question is, did I do right? It may happen again and I want to be sure of what I can or cannot do. Peace Mike
[/quote]

Why cover the Blessed Sacrament? If the Blessed Sacrament is to be unattended Christ must be placed securly back in a tabernacle. The priest responsible for the Church or chapel should do this. Simply let him know that you are leaving and no one else is there.

Covering the Host does not protect it from being stolen. Which is why someone must always be present when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.

[quote=Mike316]Hello all, I attend Eucharistic Adoration every Saturday morning. The Church I visit has perpetual adoration. I was there Saturday and for the first time I was left alone. After about 90 minutes I had to go; for two reasons. I was really hesitant to cover the host as the Church asks, because I am not Catholic. I cannot participate in the Eucharist so I didn’t know if I was authorized to cover the host. Well I did after much fear and trembling. I asked the forgiveness of God if I did wrong. My question is, did I do right? It may happen again and I want to be sure of what I can or cannot do. Peace Mike
[/quote]

When leaving the Blessed Sacrament must be placed in the tabernacle. Covering the Blessed Sacrament does nothing to protect the Sacrament from being stolen. Simply notify the person responsible for the Church or chapel that you are leaving and no one else is present. someone must be present when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed or must be secured in the tabernacle.

In our adoration chapel there is a telephone, so if you end up stuck with an extra hour and can’t stay (e.g. a no-show) then you can call the next person who is supposed to come in and see if they can make it early.

I’m not sure I’ve heard of any rules about leaving the Eucharist alone.

Alan

I am puzzled by the reference to “covering the Host.” If no adorers are present, the host should be reserved in the tabernacle.

Like Annie said, if there are not sufficient adorers signed up to maintain a continuous presence, then other arrangements should be made, but not perpetual adoration.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.