Covert in the Vineyard?

Isaiah
{1:8} And the daughter of Sion shall be left as a covert in a vineyard, and as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, and as a city that is laid waste.

As in undercover operative?

Covert also means a thicket in which game can hide: a sanctuary of sorts?

Jerusalem does appear representing a tiny isolated shelter in the field for laborers.

Your country is waste, your cities burnt with fire;
Your land—before your eyes strangers devour it,
a waste, like the devastation of Sodom.*
And daughter Zion is left like a hut in a vineyard,
Like a shed in a melon patch, like a city blockaded.
If the LORD of hosts* had not left us a small remnant,
We would have become as Sodom, would have resembled Gomorrah.

Hi, Rose!

…as it has been offered: a thicket… but we must gather the meaning from the completeness of the passage… Yahweh God is actually chastising Israel… this is no thicket as in a sanctuary but as an unusable piece of land… how much grape (for eating or wine making) can be cultivated in such land?.. the grape vine needs a place to grow and expand… the grapes need lots of water to mature… then there’s the harvesting… how plausible would it be for the workers to gather the grapes within such a hostile environment?

Verse 7 and the ending of verse 8 tells us that it is all about wasteland or infertile land or, in God’s terms, a people who are not allowed to be shown the Face of God (God has turn against them).

Maran atha!

Angel

What had they done to displease God.

[quote=“Roseeurekacross, post:5, topic:438318”]
Thanks ������

What had they done to displease God.
[/quote]Hi, Rose!

Here’s what Yahweh God is saying about Israel:

[FONT=“Garamond”][SIZE=“5”]1 The vision of Isaias the son of Amos I which he saw concerning Juda and Jerusalem in the days of Ozias, Joathan, Achaz, and Ezechias, kings of Juda. 2 Hear, O ye heavens, and give ear, O earth, for the Lord hath spoken. I have brought up children, and exalted them: but they have despised me. 3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the *** his master’s crib: but Israel hath not known me, and my people hath not understood. 4 Woe to the sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a wicked seed, ungracious children: they have forsaken the Lord, they have blasphemed the Holy One of Israel, they are gone away backwards. 5 For what shall I strike you any more, you that increase transgression? the whole head is sick, and the whole heart is sad. 6 From the sole of the foot unto the top of the head, there is no soundness therein: wounds and bruises and swelling sores: they are not bound up, nor dressed, nor fomented with oil. (Isaiah 1:1-6)

Israel (as all of humanity), time and again, has turned from Yahweh God and has become intertwined with the pagan nations around her and has served their idols (non-gods) and has given into unrighteousness and immorality…

Now what is important to note is that while Yahweh God’s Justice requires that He chastises and punish the transgressions against His Holiness, His Justice is tempered with Mercy as He is Forever Willing to Absolve us from our sins:

16** Wash yourselves, be clean, take away the evil of your devices from my eyes: cease to do perversely**, 17 Learn to do well: seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge for the fatherless, defend the widow. 18 And then come, and accuse me, saith the Lord: if your sins be as scarlet, they shall be made as white as snow: and if they be red as crimson, they shall be white as wool. 19 If you **be willing, and **will hearken to me, you shall eat the good things of the land. (Isaiah 1:16-19)

…the choice is always ours:

Choose therefore life, that both thou and thy seed may live: (Deuteronomy 30:19b)

Maran atha!

Angel

[/SIZE][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.