Cow kills 1 after escaping slaughterhouse

Yuma Sun:

Cow kills 1 after escaping slaughterhouse

SAN LUIS RIO COLORADO, Son. – A cow escaped from a slaughterhouse  in this city Wednesday, killing a bystander, damaging vehicles and  leading police on chase before being destroyed.
  	         	 				Employees of the city owned-slaughterhouse on the southeastern  corner of San Luis Rio Colorado said the drama began around noon when  the cow jumped over the railing of pen used to restrain it.
  	                                                                                   Damaging a gate as it  fled the slaughterhouse, it ran through several streets of the nearby  Colonia Industrial neighborhood, according to accounts from various news  media in San Luis Rio Colorado.

The person killed by the  animal was identified as Alejandro Garcia Martinez, 31, who had been  working on a car in front of a residence when he was charged and  trampled, suffering severe head injuries.

At least two cars were damaged when the errant cow collided with them, according to newspaper accounts.

I’ve always opposed the idea of animal “rights” but if bovines are capable of desiring freedom and act on that – maybe it’s time to rethink. :confused:

I know someone will be appalled that I posted this. Yes, I know someone died. Yes, the death is tragic.

But I couldn’t help but to think of this song, after I read this article.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

:thumbsup:

It’s time to re think, because you seem to not understand how much they desire their freedom, appreciate love and feel the torture and injustice being done unto them. Humans are risen animals, it happens many times that we forget or ignore such an obvious truth and think we are fallen angels, that terrible belief leads us to offer love to beings that are probably non existent rather than loving beings who are absolutely existent and truly deserve the love.

I have raised thousands of animals, and few animals actually “desire freedom”. In truth, they really don’t have freedom, ever, inasmuch as they have no real choices. Wolves kill because they must. They “value freedom” only to the extent that they are wanderers by nature and instinct tells them they must do that in order to find food to survive. Cattle eat grass because they must. Put a cow in a pen with plenty of food and water and salt, and no disturbance, and she’ll fight you to stay in, not out. Buffalo, on the other hand, are migratory by nature and instinct, and will jump or burst through fences to migrate seasonally. But that’s not a “desire for freedom”.

On the other hand, as with the Colorado incident, cattle have enough of the wild animal in them still to panic (sometimes for good reason, sometimes for no reason) and become dangerous. The “pet cow” you hand-fed from birth can suddenly turn and kill you for no reason anyone can tell. And sometimes they do. Buffalo are much more dangerous in that way.

If a cow perceives that her calf is dead, she’ll go about her life as if the calf never existed at all, and from the very moment of that perception. And after the cow goes dry, her own offspring are as much strangers to her as is some other cow’s calf. She does not mourn. She does not maintain friendships. She does not appreciate a beautiful sunset.

It’s idle to talk about “love” when it comes to virtually any animal. They don’t “love” in the way humans do.

But I will agree it’s terribly wrong to cause needless suffering to an animal. They will forget it immediately if you do, for the most part, but it’s still wrong because it’s the manifestation of something evil in the human being who inflicts it.

You can’t think of it that way. I know a lady who was attacked by a cow because she pulled up a bit of netting from the ground perhaps half a field away. That visual stimulus provoked an attack response that made no sense whatever, unless possibly the pulling action resembled the motion of a predator eating a victim, and the cow reacted out of pure, unreasoning instinct based on visual stimuli that had meaning only as a trigger to instinct.

On the other hand, I have seen predators eat a dead animal near a cow or bull, evoking no response whatever.

It’s all unreasoning.

Agree with the meat of your post, though I will add my two cents concerning the bolded bit.

I can state with 100% confidence that my two cats love me in some form or fashion that at least apes the love and attention we give other humans.

I have also seen cats and dogs literally die from mourning when another pet or their master passed away.

Hard to find fault for the cow.:rolleyes:

Yes, tragic indeed. The video however IS funny!

As in the case of my Moosie who cried painfully for days after his Andy died. :frowning:

I saw an odd breed of cow one day in Gettysburg. I was so anxious to take a picture that I didn’t account for the strength of its fence. As I went in closer, that cow came racing at me so fast I had to run for my life because that fence was useless for a ticked off cow.

Yikes.
NEVER doing that again

I’m starting to wonder how I survived my childhood.

I know that feeling very well.

I still work cattle in the chutes, and though mine are really docile compared to most, I still get into one of those “matador moments” now and then. :eek: After years of doing it, you can pretty well tell when one is going to come after you or even “brush past you” which is what it really is most of the time. But being “brushed past” by a 1000-1600 lb animal going full speed is a very significant experience. :slight_smile:

Interestingly, I once read that the absolutely most aggressive of Spanish fighting cattle are not the bulls but the half-grown heifers. Beginning matadors train with them. I’m inclined to agree, but I can’t really say it’s aggression so much as it is nuttiness. After the first calf, it almost always goes away. I would far rather be in a corral full of young bulls than one of young heifers.

But I’ll add that cattle have a very definite “pecking order”, and if one is put into a group of strange cattle, it has to fight every single one in the group to establish where it is in that order. And the order does change now and then, so at least perfunctory fighting goes on daily in any herd. It’s entirely possible that the cow in the OP was acting out of that, at least initially, if the animal behind decided to become aggressive.

Having been saved by my dog on a number of occasions when I was a kid, I won’t assert that dogs don’t “love” their masters in some fashion. But then, support of the “apex animal” is part of canine nature, which is why your dog barks at anything strange. It’s alerting the “apex animal” of the “pack”, which is you.:slight_smile: And being pack animals, dependant on each other, they certainly will become “depressed” at the loss of part of the “pack”.

Cattle don’t, though. They couldn’t care less. But as a “prey animal”, they really can’t afford to. So it’s not part of their nature.

Almost no fence can actually hold a determined cow or bull. They just get used to not liking to be “stung” by a barb, and will usually avoid going through a fence. About the only thing that will really hold them by sheer resistance is a welded pipe fence, though a flexible “cattle panel” fence can if it’s wired right and has huge supporting posts. I have seen them bounce off those because that kind of fence will “give”, but then “spring back”.

But one should never totally trust a fence of any kind.

Don’t think anyone here is trying to. :shrug:

I’m a lawyer now, but I grew up on an Ohio farm. My father raised veal calves and dairy beeves (Holsteins). I ran the calves onto the carrier and went to the slaughterhouse. I witnessed the entire process numerous times. If you’re raised in similar circumstances, you understand the business for what it is. If you’re a vegetarian, animal rights advocate, or simply buy the finished product at your local grocery store, you may have difficulty understanding or accepting the process.

Kinda makes me wanna go back to vegetarianism. Sorta. I do like a good burger and a bourbon. Veggie burgers, while not bad, just aren’t the same.:nope:

I enjoy meat, but my taste for seafood has grown immeasurably over the years. I would eat fish, mollusks, etc., literally every day, but my wife hates seafood. Rare is the day when I don’t order seafood at restaurants.

I have decided to get sushi for my birthday. I love my ocasional burger, but I love my fishies more.
Salmon; yum yum yum.

Salmon is certainly tasty, but I prefer grouper, halibut, swordfish, or shellfish with a glass of The Macallan.

A group of friends and I decided to splurge together over a really nice meal at Japanese steakhouse/ fusion restaurant in the area a few days back, as our Christmas present to each other. Saved up a coupla months for it, myself.

Had a delectable filet mignon paired with a lobster tail, seasoned just so and served with freshly-cooked fried rice and seared vegetables.

Perfection.

Can’t beat that! I’m so glad you enjoyed your filet and lobster.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.