Craigslist makes turning food stamps into cash a SNAP

More encouraging news. :rolleyes:

foxnews.com/us/2013/10/22/craigslist-makes-turning-food-stamps-into-cash-snap/?intcmp=latestnews

If you need food. This is not a gimmick or game,” read one posting from Philadelphia. “Please let me know, I have food stamps for sale..... Serious Replies only!!!”

“I have $500 worth and it costs $350 cash. No I will not do half!” read another posting from the Atlanta area. “I don't need to sell. If you would like to get an extra $150 to $175 in grocery and pay no taxes and can see the benefit that you will still be saving then email me or call me and we can arrange the whole deal as soon as you like.”

“DO YOU NEED SOME QUICK CASH?? -- $100 (atlanta),” read the title of one such post, under which the buyer offered: "If you get Food Stamps and need some extra cash then hit me asap,” reads the post.

:banghead:

Surprise...surprise......NOT!:mad:

Food stamp-cash exchange has been going on forever. California rate is 100/90.

[quote="MugenOne, post:4, topic:342927"]
Food stamp-cash exchange has been going on forever. California rate is 100/90.

[/quote]

Yupper. I need ice for my leg badly. Only place to get it in this extremely dicey neighborhood
is a liquor store that certainly sells liquor, but is also 'allegedly' exchanging the cards at 50%. Given how many people stagger around here, I am sure some of that cash is spent right there.
When I had this privilege, I did something really strange with it. I actually bought food.
Gee, whiz, what a concept.

Think I am buying ice there?!

They are not stamps anymore. The benefits are put on an EBT card which is like a credit card. If someone sells the card for cash they are going to be out of benefits for the next month. What is done to get cash is they loan the card and pin number to someone for usually 50 cents on the dollar. Then they get the card back so new benefits can be put in the account for it in the next month. It's still fraud of course.

[quote="Deus_tecum, post:6, topic:342927"]
They are not stamps anymore. The benefits are put on an EBT card which is like a credit card. If someone sells the card for cash they are going to be out of benefits for the next month. What is done to get cash is they loan the card and pin number to someone for usually 50 cents on the dollar. Then they get the card back so new benefits can be put in the account for it in the next month. It's still fraud of course.

[/quote]

They'd do better just to shop for someone else, present the bill, give a discount for the cash and everyone wins.

Sometimes poor people need cash for more pressing necessities ... like shelter. The motel people are not allowed to pay a full month's rent when they first get their meager checks from SSI or wherever. Later that month their "weekly rates" sometimes go to a "daily rate" and they find themselves short. Living in a motel, even a rundown one can run upwards of $1300 a month for what would amount to a studio apartment that would rent for $850 in the same part of town.

Know some people in this situation ... though I don't think they have even applied for food stamps though they are quite needy (Section 8 disabled ... medicated for schizophrenia).

The system (whether planned this way or not) seems to be geared to keeping them in some state of neediness forever. Should they start to do well, work, be gifted with a tool like a throw-away beater car someone gives them - it seems the government cuts back what they get.

Selling food stamps to others is just another way of selling something that is yours so that you can buy something else or solve another problem ... in my initial way of looking at it.

The philosophy of food stamps, which companies most benefit from it, whether the near poor do worse than the benefitted designated poor, etc. is another matter.

It seems "more clearly wrong" to some if there are people who don't need food stamps who are just taking advantage of a giveaway then maximizing their benefit counter to the spirit of the program.

I think people would be less offended at the poor person who buys a bag of apples for 99 cents and sells them at the Freeway offramp one by one. Though a sadly ironic thing about that is ... I'm guessing these folks get less money than overt beggars with a sign that offer no product. In some places selling stuff without a business license can get one in more trouble with the police than vagrancy or panhandling. :shrug: Which might explain why Craigslist gets used by some of the sellers (not to justify what is done).

Hmm. I seem to be doing more analysis than taking a stand on this ... hopefully this is prudence more than chronic indecision.

[quote="CaptFun, post:7, topic:342927"]
They'd do better just to shop for someone else, present the bill, give a discount for the cash and everyone wins.

Sometimes poor people need cash for more pressing necessities ... like shelter. The motel people are not allowed to pay a full month's rent when they first get their meager checks from SSI or wherever. Later that month their "weekly rates" sometimes go to a "daily rate" and they find themselves short. Living in a motel, even a rundown one can run upwards of $1300 a month for what would amount to a studio apartment that would rent for $850 in the same part of town.

Know some people in this situation ... though I don't think they have even applied for food stamps though they are quite needy (Section 8 disabled ... medicated for schizophrenia).

The system (whether planned this way or not) seems to be geared to keeping them in some state of neediness forever. Should they start to do well, work, be gifted with a tool like a throw-away beater car someone gives them - it seems the government cuts back what they get.

Selling food stamps to others is just another way of selling something that is yours so that you can buy something else or solve another problem ... in my initial way of looking at it.

The philosophy of food stamps, which companies most benefit from it, whether the near poor do worse than the benefitted designated poor, etc. is another matter.

It seems "more clearly wrong" to some if there are people who don't need food stamps who are just taking advantage of a giveaway then maximizing their benefit counter to the spirit of the program.

I think people would be less offended at the poor person who buys a bag of apples for 99 cents and sells them at the Freeway offramp one by one. Though a sadly ironic thing about that is ... I'm guessing these folks get less money than overt beggars with a sign that offer no product. In some places selling stuff without a business license can get one in more trouble with the police than vagrancy or panhandling. :shrug: Which might explain why Craigslist gets used by some of the sellers (not to justify what is done).

Hmm. I seem to be doing more analysis than taking a stand on this ... hopefully this is prudence more than chronic indecision.

[/quote]

Interesting post. I'd love to see a social scientist do research into some of these dynamics.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:8, topic:342927"]
Interesting post. I'd love to see a social scientist do research into some of these dynamics.

[/quote]

It would take a brave one. Whatever his conclusion, he'd either be dismissed as a right wing racist / fascist or as a neo-Marxist agitator. Such is the state of American politics.

[quote="CaptFun, post:7, topic:342927"]

Sometimes poor people need cash for more pressing necessities ... like shelter. .

[/quote]

And beer.

[quote="SamH, post:10, topic:342927"]
And beer.

[/quote]

Surely. Basically bread in liquid form. With just enough alcohol to kill harmful germs. :)

And it's patriotic. Beer manufacturers are among the last domestic companies to turn a profit.

Ah! The neighborliness, smiles and fun. Life should be a beer commercial. ;)

Well, this is definitely discouraging news. I hope that people do not abuse food stamps in this manner but obviously it is occurring or there wouldn't be news about it. I hope a stop is put to this and fast.

That said, I am definitely not a fan of Craigslist. From what I understand, they advertise prostitutes and such and now this.

[quote="CaptFun, post:11, topic:342927"]
Surely. Basically bread in liquid form. With just enough alcohol to kill harmful germs. :)

And it's patriotic. Beer manufacturers are among the last domestic companies to turn a profit.

Ah! The neighborliness, smiles and fun. Life should be a beer commercial. ;)

[/quote]

You were probably being facetious, but I will address what you said anyways.

1. Beer is not the equivalent of food in terms of nutrition and in fact causes nutritional depletion in the body.
  2. The amount of alcohol in beer is not enough to kill germs and that is why it is pasteurized in the US.
  3. The highest selling beer in the US is budweiser which is produced by Anheuser Busch Inbev headquartered in the country of Belgium.
  4. People are anything but neighborly, all fun and smiles the next morning after getting smashed.
  5. Trading food benefits for cash is a form of fraud.

[quote="Deus_tecum, post:13, topic:342927"]
You were probably being facetious, but I will address what you said anyways.

1. Beer is not the equivalent of food in terms of nutrition and in fact causes nutritional depletion in the body.
  2. The amount of alcohol in beer is not enough to kill germs and that is why it is pasteurized in the US.
  3. The highest selling beer in the US is budweiser which is produced by Anheuser Busch Inbev headquartered in the country of Belgium.

[/quote]

i.imgur.com/iQpfkuU.png

Did you know that beer was critical to the birth of civilization? That’s right - beer.Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped create math, poetry, pyramids, modern medicine, labor laws, and America.
If you think beer is just something cold and filling to drink during sporting matches or in the kind of bars that you probably shouldn't order wine in, then, boy, are you ever in the dark.
It turns out beer is responsible for, like, all the greatest things on earth. Learn more about what beer did for you.
Netflix link

Blessing for Beer:

V. **Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini.
R. Qui fecit caelum et terram.V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.Oremus.Benedic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisiae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi, et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti; ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corpus et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

V.** Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R. Who made heaven and earth.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
Let us pray.
Bless, + O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.
And it is sprinkled with holy water.
Don't mess with beer. [facetiousness follows] It may be regarded as sacrilegious[/end facetiousness]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.