Creation Theory

God is supposed to be the only thing without a beginning, or creation; as this would be logically impossible. But I am really struggling to comprehend a God with no beginnig too, how could it be possible that God has just always been there, without a beginning?

Please Help…

all things that exist must have had a begining…

is that what you mean??

then at some point there was… nothing??

then what changed, what ‘caused’ everything to begin??

:slight_smile:

[quote=Achatius]… how could it be possible that God has just always been there, without a beginning?
[/quote]

Think of Him as being “existence”. It is a high concept. Can existence come from non-existence? No. We were created by existence, and we share in the existence of God. God is everywhere because He is existence. Every object, every thought, every concept that exists does exist because it shares in Existence, which is God. God keeps all things intact. Anything you can see, or experience, or think of, shares in the existence of God. You can not think of something which does not exist in some way. Yet He has done something marvelous. He has given us, who are nothing, a free will. We can share in His Will also! God is so infinite, and yet, He is One. From His perspective, He encompasses all that is possible all at once, and yet from our perspective, we can never attain to understanding all about Him. Even those in heaven do not fully comprehend God. Only God can understand Himself.

Does this help any?

hurst

yes thanks, but any one else with suggestions please tell!

[quote=Achatius]God is supposed to be the only thing without a beginning, or creation; as this would be logically impossible. But I am really struggling to comprehend a God with no beginnig too, how could it be possible that God has just always been there, without a beginning?
[/quote]

I always understood it to be because God exists outside time, space, the laws of physics, etc. God is “I Am” As soon as you confine God to the Universe as we know it, you have limited Him. That’s why the Eucharist can be a re-presentation of calvary - because God is not bound by the laws of Physics, time, etc. Eternal life, heaven, the institution of the Eucharist on the night He was betrayed, the Immaculate Conception, etc., all become understandable once you understand that.

Exodus 3:14 might help.

God IS; hence God telling His Name to Moses as “I AM.” God never “was” or “will be”. God is perfect, He can’t change. For Him to change would mean going from a state of perfection to a state of imperfection (or vice versa). Therefore, God never was nor will be; God simply IS.

Now, how can God exist without a beginning? Here’s a simple explanation: I don’t know. I believe it because of the gift of faith I’ve been given and also because it’s logical. Since nothingness can’t create something itself, there must be Someone who is eternal who has created something out of nothing. On the basis of divine revelation we know this Someone to be God.

Look at it another way. We are in a limited enviroment. We have a limited understanding of that environment. We do not know what exists outside our space and time.

God does!

It will make you crazy to try and rationalize this topic. We are finite human, so therefore we can not (in this life) truly understand our infinite God.

To me, just to lay under the stars and think about there being no end to space is mind boggling!!

If there was nothing before there was something, the something would have had nothing to bring it forth. It is easier and certainly more logical to believe in an immutable “existence” that simply is. As so many people have mentioned, God defined himself “I Am Who AM”.

Well technically there was no “before” the universe since time is also a physical function of it.

A transcendent God would be outside of the universe and thus time.

Sort of like how a cube would be outside the understanding of a 2d object like a square

[quote=steveandersen]Well technically there was no “before” the universe since time is also a physical function of it.

A transcendent God would be outside of the universe and thus time.

Sort of like how a cube would be outside the understanding of a 2d object like a square
[/quote]

I would refer you to read three books to get a grasp on this mystery.

Confessions by St. Augustine: He has a section where he discusses this subject.

Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer: While not a Catholic author but a protestant preacher, this book forces one to “think right about a God” that is infinite in everything (infinite is a concept that our minds are able to grasp but are forced to accept in fields such as science and math)

Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel: While he too isn’t a Catholic author, he lays out a scientific case for the existent of a Creator who has no beginning or end.

It is beyone the finite abilities of this mind to adequately explain a mystery in the limits of a CAF post. Good luck on your research. God Bless you.

Achatius,

This is one of the most mysterious qualities of God. I have been puzzled by it since I was a young boy. Nothing can really explain it and we, as humans, cannot fathom it. I just try not to worry about it too much. It’s a great question but something I don’t think anyone will be able to answer clearly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.