creationism Vs evolution

There seems to be for some reason an argument between these two concepts and they go hand in hand to me. God the first cause set into motion evolution of man. He has a plan that plan will be followed out until we become last adam. What’s the uproar ? Natural law looking at ourselves physiologically you can see some organs degenerating, some dormant, some once used and will be used again and some developing. Evolution set into motion by the first cause. It’s simple :slight_smile:

Because read literally it puts the notion of original sin in question, without original sin there is no need to be saved from original sin so you need no savior.

Additionally, the idea that death existed before the Fall is contrary to Catholic teaching, and the proposed idea of polygenism is as well.

Not all evolutionary theories are incompatible with Church teachings on Original Sin. It is permissible for Catholics to believe in evolution so long as they also accept that there was really 1 adam and 1 eve who were the first ensouled creatures on earth and from whom every other human being is ultimately descended. Beyond that the Church does not have an official position. All the fighting between creationists and evolutionists on this matter is way over the top. Both positions are permissible and neither contradicts Church teaching.

Man has not evolved from the beginning, but was created by God from the dust of the Earth in His image and likeness. Evolution is a theory and a lie, as it opposes the Word of God.

Please read this link from CA Apologists for more information.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=708108&highlight=evolution

in particular note the following

The Church has said the following about evolution:
Quote:
Pope Pius XII’s Humani Generis:

Teaching Authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However, this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically the Sacred Scriptures and of defending the dogmas of faith.
And Pope John Paul II’s Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences: On Evolution.

And Pope Benedict had this to say before he was Pope:
Quote:
We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the ‘project’ of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary—rather than mutually exclusive—realities.

— Cardinal Ratzinger, In the Beginning: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall (Eerdmans, 1995), p. 50.

Evolution is not contrary to the Catholic faith. However, it is also not required for Catholics to believe in Evolution. But it is clear that anyone who claims that Evolution is contrary to Catholic teaching is mistaken.

I didn’t know even strict Darwinism taught that. God is simply the first cause. I don’t go for a lot of the theory out there but evolution in some senses makes perfect sense to me.

Luckily for us, the Church doesn’t enforce this view, and we are free to believe in evolution so long as we recognize the tenants that thewanderer talked about earlier.

Hebrew mythology. Mythos tells us things that are true that can’t be put into literal terms to be understood.

Also, just in case you missed it, there is currently a ban on discussing Evolution on this forum.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=408684

No theory of evolution I’ve read IMO has ever said that.

I wasn’t aware of that. It is temporary the thread you pointed out said. Is it still in force?

The sticky is still up so yes. Until they remove it or put out a notice that this has changed it is in force.

This only an issue for Fundamentalist Protestants.

(At least it should be)

There is nothing incompatible with Christianity in a Theistic Evolution World View, not does it “contradict the Bible”

This is a short clip to see how evolution is compatible with Christianity… Enjoy!
youtube.com/watch?v=d9h-hmlMz5c

Yes, this. As a homeschooler, I have a very hard time with many of the Catholic programs out there because they use a fundamentalist science curriculum, which I feel completely disregards how awesome God is to have created this world billions of years ago with all of the evolution that took place to get us where we are today. I have long wondered why Catholic homeschooling programs don’t have Catholic scientists who are able to create a science text from a theistic evolution world view…anything less seems like limiting God to only what man can comprehend as possible.

:thumbsup: My thoughts also.

I guess I don’t see how God could not create man from the dust of the earth and breathe life into him with an evolutionary process!

I mean did it take 5 mins or 30 seconds or 1 day or 100,000 years?

As a theistic evolution opinion holder I believe God created man from the dust of the earth and when he deemed it ready he breathed life into our first parents bringing them from just a creature to a special creature in Gods image with an eternal soul.

Did lions eat grass before the fall?

What about T. rex. It grazed on shrubs?

:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.