Creativity and honesty and poetry

So.

As I've mentioned over other threads I have a couple of learning disabilities. However, in all of that I've somehow managed to become a decent writer. I do bits for newspapers and "copywriting" (advertising) bits for my job.

One of the things that I've discovered as of late (the past couple of years) is that I write decent poetry. Well, actually it's more than decent...it's like "we'll pay to publish it" sort of stuff. And I've been given an opportunity to do so.

I don't try to write poetry, I just get a pen and ten minutes later there's a poem.

The only thing is I feel really reluctant to publish it. See, I find poetry insipid. I DREAD it. I feel bad for every school child who has to analize it. I can't even get through the sample publication that I'm supposed to read for formatting and topic purposes because I find it so awful. And some of it is "good" poetry.

I just really dislike poetry. I find it like cat nails on a chalk board. I've yet to find any poems that I really enjoy...though I've found a few I tolerate. And some "unpublished" pieces have been the best of that.

So why do I write it? I don't know. It just kind of happens like some people sneeze. I'm not really even a huge fan or proud of my poetry in any way. If I read it over I find it just as stupid as all the other poetry out there.

And what do I say to fellow writers and editors when they ask what I think? I really, honestly think it all blows chunks. (especially from the pricks that write in this certain magazine) And if I try really, REALLY hard I can find something positive...but in all honesty I could find more positive things about being a garbage collector or barf janitor than having to read poetry.

I would suggest you seek out something like the Catholic Writer's Guild to be able to speak to professional writers who share the Faith.

(BTW, lose the vulgarities and don't disparage garbage collectors or janitors - honest work for honest pay is not something to be mocked.)

perhaps but I’m not writing about the faith. Plus my “in” is a catholic editor. But the person is very passionate about their work and I don’t think they’d take my distaste for poetry well

(BTW, lose the vulgarities and don’t disparage garbage collectors or janitors - honest work for honest pay is not something to be mocked.)

You need to chill out. All I’m saying is that I find poetry extremely awful…saying that it “blows chunks” is hardly vulgarities. And I didn’t disparage garbage collectors, yes, it’s honest work (wasn’t my point) its just not desirable work. In fact I said I’d prefer it to having to read poetry. And I think, given the choice, most people would pick poetry reading.

The term you used to describe the people who work at the magazine is both vulgar and contrary to Christian charity.

Purple,

I’m sorry you don’t find poetry as wonderful as I do. I love it, I’m virtually obsessed with it.

Something to think about-take a writing class at a local college. Read some of the greats-Dickinson, Shelley, Eliot-and study them. Don’t like classical? Try modernists. Don’t like modernists? Try the beats. Don’t like Romantic? Try realist.

I also write poetry all the time, and several other forms of writing. I’m trying to get published, and have had NO luck.

Whatever I do, I just keep trying.

Hope this helps.

I’ll keep trying but no matter what I do I just don’t find it enjoyable. :frowning:

You never know. You just might find a poem you love!

Robert Frost, AE Housman-give them a shot!

Sheldon VanAuken

Read Billy Collins and see if you still hate poetry. Try “Afterlife”, or check this out:

***“The trouble with poetry, I realized
as I walked along a beach one night –
cold Florida sand under my bare feet,
a show of stars in the sky –
the trouble with poetry is
that it encourages the writing of more poetry,
more guppies crowding the fish tank,
more baby rabbits
hopping out of their mothers into the dewy grass.
And how will it ever end?
unless the day finally arrives
when we have compared everything in the world
to everything else in the world,
and there is nothing left to do
but quietly close our notebooks
and sit with our hands folded on our desks.
Poetry fills me with joy
and I rise like a feather in the wind.
Poetry fills me with sorrow
and I sink like a chain flung from a bridge.
But mostly poetry fills me
with the urge to write poetry,
to sit in the dark and wait for a little flame
to appear at the tip of my pencil.
And along with that, the longing to steal,
to break into the poems of others
with a flashlight and a ski mask.
And what an unmerry band of thieves we are,
cut-purses, common shoplifters,
I thought to myself
as a cold wave swirled around my feet
and the lighthouse moved its megaphone over the sea,
which is an image I stole directly
from Lawrence Ferlinghetti –
to be perfectly honest for a moment –
the bicycling poet of San Francisco
whose little amusement park of a book
I carried in a side pocket of my uniform
up and down the treacherous halls of high school.” ***

I’m in the arts and I despise what I can contribute. (This is not Billy Collins’ problem!) But it’s not for me to judge. If it’s a gift, give it. And don’t second guess yourself. We are given these talents to glorify our higher power and to bring insight or joy or compassion to fellow travelers.

If you must, publish under a nom de plume.

hitched

[quote="Rascalking, post:7, topic:193217"]
You never know. You just might find a poem you love!

Robert Frost, AE Housman-give them a shot!

[/quote]

I have...I dread frost. The only poet that I have ever found bearable is Joyce Kilmer. My dislike of poetry isn't for lack of trying.

Thanks for the suggestion…still I find it… “blah” somehow it just gets all jumbled out in my mind.

I have not told anyone “in the community” how I feel. I plan on publishing under a pseudonym for other reasons. (not that my real name bears any resemblance to purplesunshine)

quote="purplesunshine, post:11, topic:193217"

[/quote]

Really? My legal name is Rascalking! :D

Would you like to one day become a professional writer?

Would you like to one day become a professional writer?

If I could get paid more…or if at all…I would. I’ve done magazine work and newspaper work. I’d like to do copywriting as a full time thing insted of just as part of my job, so yes, I thinking professional writing is in my future. However, I just can’t get over my dislike of poetry if I am to write it.

Maybe you can publish the poems you’ve written as a way to start your career to later (fiction?) writing?

I personally can’t stand poetry myself, it makes me embarrassed to read it. But some people cry and are deeply moved by poetry, maybe you can see yourself as writing something that inspires others?

[quote="purplesunshine, post:1, topic:193217"]
So.

As I've mentioned over other threads I have a couple of learning disabilities. However, in all of that I've somehow managed to become a decent writer. I do bits for newspapers and "copywriting" (advertising) bits for my job.

One of the things that I've discovered as of late (the past couple of years) is that I write decent poetry. Well, actually it's more than decent...it's like "we'll pay to publish it" sort of stuff. And I've been given an opportunity to do so.

I don't try to write poetry, I just get a pen and ten minutes later there's a poem.

[/quote]

In your post you mention a couple of times that you write good poetry. Would you care to share a small sample so that people can judge for themselves?

One poem I wrote ended with me making a lifetime friend. That friendship started only because I chose to share with that person in an open and honest way.

The only thing is I feel really reluctant to publish it. See, I find poetry insipid. I DREAD it. I feel bad for every school child who has to analize it. I can't even get through the sample publication that I'm supposed to read for formatting and topic purposes because I find it so awful. And some of it is "good" poetry.

When I read this paragraph I read ‘FEAR’.

I just really dislike poetry. I find it like cat nails on a chalk board. I've yet to find any poems that I really enjoy...though I've found a few I tolerate. And some "unpublished" pieces have been the best of that.

So why do I write it? I don't know. It just kind of happens like some people sneeze. I'm not really even a huge fan or proud of my poetry in any way. If I read it over I find it just as stupid as all the other poetry out there.

This reads like a kid that makes light of some activity which he is not good at doing. Such as a kid that makes fun of the swim team because he cannot swim good.

And what do I say to fellow writers and editors when they ask what I think? I really, honestly think it all blows chunks. (especially from the pricks that write in this certain magazine) And if I try really, REALLY hard I can find something positive...but in all honesty I could find more positive things about being a garbage collector or barf janitor than having to read poetry.

As someone who has been a janitor that writes poetry I am not sure how to take this last paragraph. :ballspin:

Poetry is a form of communication. As such some will be good, some mundane and some will be drivel.

Please understand that my comments are merely based on how you used words to present your thoughts. I could be entirely wrong in my assessment. I wish you well if you find the courage to publish your poetry.

God bless

How could anyone not love this? –

Another Lullaby for Insomniacs by A.E. Stallings

Sleep, she will not linger:
She turns her moon-cold shoulder.
With no ring on her finger,
You cannot hope to hold her.

She turns her moon-cold shoulder
And tosses off the cover.
You cannot hope to hold her:
She has another lover.

She tosses off the cover
And lays the darkness bare.
She has another lover.
Her heart is otherwhere.

She lays the darkness bare.
You slowly realize
Her heart is otherwhere.
There’s distance in her eyes.

You slowly realize
That she will never linger,
With distance in her eyes
And no ring on her finger.

I’ll see if I can find an older one. I have written poems for people…because they liked poetry. Currently a good number of my poems are tied up “in consideration” with the publication. The magazine considers any Internet posting ‘publishing’ and immediately revokes their offer to publish. If you don’t believe me look at the rules for poetry magazine. Of course not all submitted have a chance, but since I loathe the stuff I don’t know which they will pick.

When I read this paragraph I read ‘FEAR’.

This reads like a kid that makes light of some activity which he is not good at doing. Such as a kid that makes fun of the swim team because he cannot swim good.

As someone who has been a janitor that writes poetry I am not sure how to take this last paragraph. :ballspin:

No, I’m not making fun on purpose. Actually, it’s my friend who noticed my poetry. My friend has a decade of professional editing behind them, so I trust what is said. Both because of our friendship but also because they’ve never lead me wrong when it comes to my newspaper articles or copy writing. (all which receives high praise). In that sense I AM used to being petted and made to feel wonderful and I don’t know if I’ll get all that from poetry…but part of the reason I don’t know is that I can TELL good writing from bad writing because I read it and I know when I produce sub-par work or others do.

Poetry is a form of communication. As such some will be good, some mundane and some will be drivel.

Please understand that my comments are merely based on how you used words to present your thoughts. I could be entirely wrong in my assessment. I wish you well if you find the courage to publish your poetry.

God bless

No worries.

Be careful about the sin of pride. What seems to come across is “I am such a talented writer that even my waste products are jewels. These things are horrid to my rarefied mind, but those mere mortals seem to like to read my cast offs.”

How about a little humility?

“God has given me a gift. I did not ask for it, but, it seems that he can use me to touch people. Please pray that He guides my efforts and uses me to show His love to the world.”

Instead of writing poetry that is life-sized, allow yourself to write something bigger than you. Go ahead: scare yourself with your own gift. That should bring you back to where you can write with gratitude for the ability to write.

Are you really communicating or just making observations? If you cannot use your own poetry for self-examination and growth, if you have such disdain for what comes out of the pen, maybe you can adjust that by seeing where this disgust applies to other areas of your life. I think you’re sitting on something. It’s up to you to uncover it.

hitched

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.