Credo in umum Deo, Et in unum Dominum Iesum Christum

How beautiful thi is. Just sharing.

youtube.com/watch?v=yDortyyp228&feature=related

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father; by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spake by the Prophets. And I believe in one holy Christian and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Be patient

The “powers” that be are finally in the midst of changing the erroneous translation “We believe…” back to the correct “I believe…”

And… I believe it is about dang time.

just out of curiousity, when i convert will i need to remember the creed to recite at confirmation or can i learn it and remember as i go?

What’s wrong with saying ‘We believe’? Is this not what the whole church is supposed to believe? Is there some deep underlying theological reason why it should be all about ‘I’ and not about ‘We’?

You can just pick it up as you go. I don’t think you have to recite it at confirmation. It is printed in the missal so you can read along as you recite during mass. After a while you will know it by heart.

God love you,
Paul

Generally the questions at confirmation are rather simple and expected. Most bishops are their to share your joy, not rain on your parade with tough questions.

And then, you may get no questions, or the bishop may do what is common… ask a question and look around to see if someone knows the answer.

In the meantime, you will soon learn the Creed just by joining in at Mass.

In the “old” days it was neat to hear Laudamus (we praise), glorificamus (we glorify), adoramus (we adore)…

and then the Creed

the time when we all stood , but each, individually had to express their faith with Credo…I believe

We can praise, glorify, and adore together… but our beliefs are up to us alone.

So, finally the “new” abuse of translating the singular Credo into a plural will be corrected. :thumbsup:

Actually there is.

Credo… the centuries long Latin is singular, not plural.

If I walked up to you and said: “What do you, LilyM, believe, ??”

would you say, “We…?”

There was a purpose for Latin being used in the Universal Church and an unchanging official language.

Credo is but one of the reasons.

cool, thanks, i want to memorize, i just wanted to make sure if i needed to memorize it by then. my memory betrays sometimes. lol.

By the way…

Welcome home.

That’s pretty much the way I remember it from Mass every Sunday growing up, sung by our church choir. I have to say, though, I think our choir did a somewhat better job. When you’re a kid, you just take it for granted.

As I understand it, the original Latin from the Council of Nicea A.D. 325 and the Forma Recepta Ecclesiae Orientalis from the First Council of Constantinople A.D. 381 is “Credimus” - “We believe”.

Sorry ‘it’s centuries old’ is not a good enough answer. Priestly marriage among Latin priests is also centuries old, so is Greek liturgyin the Roman rite. Neither of those can be justified simply because they are old, neither can this. So what IS the reasoning behind that choice of singular?

Now addressing your other points - assuming the question was about what I believe faith-wise, I would probably say ‘I am Cathlic and believe what the Catholic Church teaches, which is xyz …’ so I would answer in a collective way.

Besides which, Mass, as I keep being informed ad nauseam and truly believe, isn’t supposed to be ABOUT me as an individual, is it? If it were, I might as well stay at home and pray in my room. Certainly no need for me to profess my individual faith in the contest of Mass, I can do that at home in my room too.

It is communal worship. So what ‘I’ believe is a totally inappropriate question for Mass. The question appropriate at Mass is what ‘We’ who are gathered there believe.

May I offer you a very warm welcome home.
You can read it. Also, it is recited as a group, at least in my parish

I’d love to hear it. I propose that everyone who wants to post the recording of the Credo that they like best. Let’s find which rendition of the Credo is the most beautiful.

**Be patient

The “powers” that be are finally in the midst of changing the erroneous translation “We believe…” back to the correct “I believe…”

And… I believe it is about dang time.**

**When the Creed was promulgated by the Ecumenical Council, it read “We believe”–Pistevomen/Credimus.

However, the practical universal and interconfessional liturgical practice became to recite the Creed in the singular: “I believe”–Pistevo/Credo.

As far as I can tell, the only classical liturgy that uses the plural is the Ethiopian Liturgy.**

Hi LilyM,
The reason for the “I” is that when it comes to what someone truly believes, one can only know for certain about oneself. Since I do not know for sure whether all the others gathered at Mass (“we”) believe what is contained in the Creed, I cannot truthfully assert that they do. I can only testify to what I believe.

This was the explanation I was given (have long since forgotten by whom). Hope it helps.

Nita

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.