Creed on Solemnities?

If there are any priests that can answer this - I would be forever grateful!

This year, the last week of June, we had 3 solemnities: Nativity of St. John the Baptist, The Most Sacred Heart and Sts Peter and Paul. I went to Mass on Friday - Sacred Heart and Saturday - Sts Peter & Paul. Each was at a different parish. Both times, we did NOT say the creed. I have a daily missal and for each Mass, it was specific that the creed was to be said.

From my understanding, a mass on a Solemnity, if it falls on a weekday, is exactly like a Sunday Mass - with the Gloria, 1st reading, Psalm, 2nd reading, Gospel then Creed.

The Creed should be said on solemnities.

-Fr ACEGC

9 Likes

That’s terrible.
On solemnities the Gloria and Creed are said at Mass.
On feasts the Gloria is said at Mass.
Te Deum is said after the Office on feasts and solemnities as well.

Not necessarily. It could’ve been an unintentional omission. I know of at least one or two occasions where the Creed was called for and because it was a daily Mass, where that isn’t part of the regular rhythm of it, I just forgot to do it. We mustn’t presume.

-Fr ACEGC

7 Likes

Of course Fr, it was more than likely not intentional, though he said all three solemnities at different churches didn’t say it, which just seems like a stretch.
But of course it happens. My priest once forgot to say it at Ascension. Just let him know after mass when I was helping him clean. It wasn’t rude, just said, Father I think we were supposed to say the Creed. And he just said oh you’re right I just get in a habit with weekday masses etc, basically what you said has happened with you before. It makes sense.

1 Like

Regarding the Gloria, from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, n. 53:

“It is sung or said on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.”

For the Creed, from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, n. 68:

“The Creed is to be sung or said by the Priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.”

But legitimate reasons for omitting the Creed are:

If there is a baptism at Mass, from the Rite of Baptism for Children “29. … 2 … c. The Creed is not said, since the profession of faith by the entire community before baptism takes its place.” (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 374).

If there is a confirmation at Mass, from the Rite of Confirmation “31. … a) the profession of faith is omitted, since it has already been made;” (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 492).

If there is an ordination of a deacon, priest or bishop in the Mass, from the rite of “Ordination of Deacons, Priests and Bishops”, n. “The profession of faith is not said, nor are the general intercessions.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, pages 28, 39, 66).

If there is a consecration to a life of virginity in the Mass: “12. … b) the profession of faith is not said, even if prescribed by the rubrics of the day”. (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 161, 177).

If there is a rite of religious profession in the Mass,

for a temporary profession by a man: “22 … b) the profession of faith may be omitted, even if prescribed by the rubrics of the day.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 213).

the same for a perpetual profession by a man, n. 52(b), page 221.

same if a man renews his vows, n. 83(b), page 233.

same for a women, temporary profession, 25(b), page 252.

same for a women, perpetual profession, 57(b), page 258.

same for a women, renewal of vows, 90(b), page 272.

If there is a blessing of an abbot “15. The profession of faith is not said in this Mass, and the general intercessions are omitted.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 304.)

Same for the blessing of an abbess, n. 10, page 314.

These mistakes can happen and it’s not always the priest’s fault. I remember once when I was a server (the subject matter of ancient history :grin:) it was a ‘purple’ Sunday, I forget which, and after the Kyrie father was just about to say ‘Let us pray’ before the Opening Prayer when the organist played the opening strains of the Gloria, which everyone then sang. Father didn’t look at all happy!

Related to this: does the Church require a Mass on weekday Solemnities? Last Solemnity was a Friday, Father’s day off. Our deacon, as usual for Fridays, did a Communion Service. Should there have been a Mass instead?

Only if it’s a Holy Day of Obligation.

I think we’ve got a couple of extras banked that we can lend you :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In the Eastern churches, the Creed is part of the entrance of the mother and child at the beginning of the church (there is also an exorcism). In this case, the creed is omitted from its usual place–but Father has forgotten several times, and gone through with it.

hawk

:man_facepalming:

“Communion Services”, just because a priest isn’t available that day, are not what the Church envisions. :frowning:

Thank you for your response. On the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, I knew it was a genuine unintentional omission as the priest was vested in green at the beginning of Mass. He changed his vestments during the 1st reading to white. That was a ‘whoops’.

The second was at my own parish. I’m not sure what happened there.

I’ve shared the story before of how at a parish with a newly constructed church, they thought it would be wonderful to add a very early morning Sunday Mass option with no music, etc. I volunteered to assist Father in getting it going, so for several Sundays, he and I and the same lector were always at the altar. One Sunday was apparently particularly hard on all of us to stay awake. Midway through the creed, Father lost his place, and the rest of us in our half-asleep daze couldn’t help get him back on track. He just said, “I’m sure God understands and will forgive us if we move on.” And so we did (but I always felt a little embarrassed for all of us). Point being that sometimes, our humanity just slips in there…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.