Creed was not said (Sunday Mass)

Hi, I am a little confused here i just returned home from mass tonight (saturday) For the 11th Sunday of ordinary time mass was respectful and reverent as usuall but when the Homily was done the priest started into the prayers of the Faithful. Some of the congregation looked confused as the creed was supposed to be said at that time , I was confused to but thought maybe he would remember after the Liturgy of the Eucharist but after communion he gave The final Greeting and Blessing and mass was over. I respect this priest and do not know him well enough to feel comfortable brining up the fact that he forgot to say the creed plus he had another mass to do tonight (Spanish Mass) so i just figured i would ask. is it still a valid mass even though the creed was not said. ?
Thanks
Taylor

That was honestly mistake on the part of the Priest. The mass is valid. I expirienced the same, the priest forgot the Lord's Prayer.

The Mass is valid if the consecration takes place using the correct words.

And if the priest receives Holy Communion under both species. (Holy Communion is valid without this, but the Mass is not.)

Thanks everyone, :slight_smile:

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:288217"]
Hi, I am a little confused here i just returned home from mass tonight (saturday) For the 11th Sunday of ordinary time mass was respectful and reverent as usuall but when the Homily was done the priest started into the prayers of the Faithful. Some of the congregation looked confused as the creed was supposed to be said at that time , I was confused to but thought maybe he would remember after the Liturgy of the Eucharist but after communion he gave The final Greeting and Blessing and mass was over. I respect this priest and do not know him well enough to feel comfortable brining up the fact that he forgot to say the creed plus he had another mass to do tonight (Spanish Mass) so i just figured i would ask. is it still a valid mass even though the creed was not said. ?
Thanks
Taylor

[/quote]

Mass was valid, of course.

Sometimes, such as when there is a Baptism or Confirmation, the Creed isn't said because it's done in another form during the Baptism or Confirmation Rites.

Yes I forgot that. If the correct consecration takes place and the priest receives Holy Communion the Mass is valid.

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:288217"]
Hi, I am a little confused here i just returned home from mass tonight (saturday) For the 11th Sunday of ordinary time mass was respectful and reverent as usuall but when the Homily was done the priest started into the prayers of the Faithful.

[/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me. I was thinking, "Wait, when does the Liturgy of the Word end?"

I have attended a parish where it’s a 50/50 chance of being a valid mass. The pastor has celiacs so only receives under one species. Despite the priest shortage another priest was assigned to this parish to offer Mass, but they seem to switch off each week.

Whenever I read threads like this I think of Christians in Rome sneaking down to the catacombs to share the Body of Christ on a tomb of a martyr and I wonder what they'd think if they could see where we are now.

I wonder what they would think of us questioning the validity in light of the Reality?

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:9, topic:288217"]
I have attended a parish where it's a 50/50 chance of being a valid mass. The pastor has celiacs so only receives under one species. Despite the priest shortage another priest was assigned to this parish to offer Mass, but they seem to switch off each week.

[/quote]

:O

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:10, topic:288217"]
Whenever I read threads like this I think of Christians in Rome sneaking down to the catacombs to share the Body of Christ on a tomb of a martyr and I wonder what they'd think if they could see where we are now.

I wonder what they would think of us questioning the validity in light of the Reality?

[/quote]

:confused:

I was confused to but thought maybe he would remember after the Liturgy of the Eucharist but after communion he gave The final Greeting and Blessing and mass was over.

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the priest cannot insert an omitted prayer later in the Mass once he realizes the mistake was made. In other words, once the Prayer of the Faithful was started, even if the priest had an “oops! I forgot that!” moment, he can’t say, “Let’s do the creed now…” it’s simply omitted that day by accident.

Likewise, we once had a planned baptism during Sunday Mass where the family was late… by the time Father was aware that they had arrived, the offertory had already begun. Thus, he couldn’t insert the baptism in the Mass but had to do it afterward instead. The Liturgy must keep moving forward, in order, once begun until conclusion.

I am wondering at the parish I attended 2 weeks in a row the priest sort of "made up his own words"--you could tell they were very different from the prior week instead of saying, "Behold the lamb of God, Behold...." he said something totally different and both weeks it was like he was making something up. Not sure about that.

[quote="Irishgal49, post:14, topic:288217"]
I am wondering at the parish I attended 2 weeks in a row the priest sort of "made up his own words"--you could tell they were very different from the prior week instead of saying, "Behold the lamb of God, Behold...." he said something totally different and both weeks it was like he was making something up. Not sure about that.

[/quote]

:rolleyes: For some reason many priests like to get creative with this part. It's not okay, and they should not be doing it, but that part doesn't affect validity.

Our priest also occasionally makes up some part.

Only since the new translation. And it occurs have flipping through the sacramentory, and at the end of mass there is usually an apology that tells us the priests have a LOT more changes than the laity since the new translation arrive.

Since he also does the Spanish mass, his subsitutions may be trying to translate the Spanish to English.

I understand because people in our parish still don't have the "Holy Church" in the response to the Oratre Fratres.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.