Creighton method of NFP to conceive?

Hello, I just read about Creighton method of NFP but I do not understand it very much. Could somebody please clarify? I have been charting my cycles for about 15 months now in a fertilityfriend online software that includes checking my temperature, cervical mucus, opk (LH surge) and cervix position. After reading about Craighton it seemed to be based on observation of cervical mucus only. Am I wrong? I seem to have a difficulty to get pregnant so I became sort of anxious about it. I read on infertility board about a lady who tried NaPRO technology at Pope John VI institutes (method is based on Craighton). There are supposed to be trained heath professionals (same as RE?) who will do diagnostic testing as well as treatments. Anybody has more information on this subject or a positive experience? Thank you!

Paul VI Institute…Napro…

Yes these guys can be recommend get in touch with them…:thumbsup:

I know of several young women in our circle of friends who have benefited from NaPro technology after dealing with infertility. :thumbsup: for the Pope Paul VI institute and NaPro. (Can’t comment on the Creighton method, as I am way past that stage and not familiar with that variation of NFP.)

Yes, Creighton is mucus only.

www.creightonmodel.com
www.fertilitycare.org

[quote="KZ2011, post:1, topic:231124"]
Hello, I just read about Creighton method of NFP but I do not understand it very much. Could somebody please clarify? I have been charting my cycles for about 15 months now in a fertilityfriend online software that includes checking my temperature, cervical mucus, opk (LH surge) and cervix position. After reading about Craighton it seemed to be based on observation of cervical mucus only. Am I wrong? I seem to have a difficulty to get pregnant so I became sort of anxious about it. I read on infertility board about a lady who tried NaPRO technology at Pope John VI institutes (method is based on Craighton). There are supposed to be trained heath professionals (same as RE?) who will do diagnostic testing as well as treatments. Anybody has more information on this subject or a positive experience? Thank you!

[/quote]

It's my understanding that NaPRO includes working with REs (reproductive endocrinologists, for those who don't know the lingo).

Creighton is mucus observations only, but I don't think charting additional signs (temperature, OPKs, and cervix position) could possibly hurt anything. I charted my fertility with FertilityFriend for many months before be began trying to conceive and I am really glad I logged all of my fertility signs since my mucus wasn't 100% reliable. The month we got pregnant we both had norovirus so my symptoms were all over the map. I'm really glad I was diligently charting my temperatures so I was able to pinpoint the conception date and avoid unnecessary "dating" ultrasounds.

Have you been trying to conceive for the full 15 months of charting, or were you charting for awhile before you began TTC?

[quote="Augusta_Sans, post:5, topic:231124"]
Creighton is mucus observations only, but I don't think charting additional signs (temperature, OPKs, and cervix position) could possibly hurt anything.

[/quote]

Charting additional signs does not necessarily hurt anything, but a person who wants to be treated by Pope Paul VI Institute or NaPro trained doctors **must **chart Creighton for at least 6 months. Creighton is a **specific **method of mucus observation. You must chart using Creighton format and method, not Fertility Friend, STM, or any other.

When charting with Creighton you learn a specific standardized language for describing your mucus. The quality of the mucus and the patterns that emerge give NaPro doctors information that they use to diagnose possible fertility problems. This way they know what additional tests to run.

In my own experience, my doctor was concerned that I wasn't producing enough progesterone just by looking at my charts. As soon as I got a positive pregnancy test he wanted me to come in and get my levels checked. Sure enough, my progesterone was too low to maintain a pregnancy so he had me start injections of progesterone that I ended up needing until week 36 of my pregnancy. Little boy was born 11 days after my last injection, healthy as can be!

My good friend just recently became pregnant after 2.5 years of TTC, using Creighton :) I also use it. The difference I found is that your instructor can see problems or potential problems from your chart and can refer you to a physician who also knows the method and uses it to diagnose and treat (after further testing of course). My instructor got me in with a great doctor who tested and diagnosed my PCOS. She also prescribed and checked my progesterone levels in pregnancy. My regular doctor would not have done anything or just prescribed BCPs.

[quote="Gemma77, post:7, topic:231124"]
In my own experience, my doctor was concerned that I wasn't producing enough progesterone just by looking at my charts. As soon as I got a positive pregnancy test he wanted me to come in and get my levels checked. Sure enough, my progesterone was too low to maintain a pregnancy so he had me start injections of progesterone that I ended up needing until week 36 of my pregnancy. Little boy was born 11 days after my last injection, healthy as can be!

[/quote]

Three cheers for a competent doctor! :)

Thank you all for great information. I feel very encouraged by all positive stories told. I definitely have a problem with the mucus so I believe that this method could help me. I found John VI institute near Harrisburg which is about 90 mile from Philadelphia where I live. There are not that many of them, are there? Where can I find Craighton instructors? I would like to start charting so that if I don't get pregnant in 6 months I will be able to meet with doctors in NaPro. Thank you again for all your information and advice.

I have a Creighton Baby, after 3 miscarriages. I did not have to do 6 months of charting, but we did do about 20 blood draws to analyze my hormone levels at various spots in my cycle. First month after analysis, I conceived. Genevieve is 3 years old today! Definitely check out this very effective method!
In Christ, C.C.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.