Creighton method of NFP

Hi!
I just attended my intro class to the Creighton method of NFP and I am very excited to use this method in my marriage. I am hoping to get some advice from those of you who use this method.

Why did you choose this method over the symptothermal method? I have looked at different web sites and a few times I have read that the symptothermal is more effective (is this true??).
After just being introduced to all the info, I feel a bit nervous that I won’t be able to tell the difference in the different types of mucus. How easy is it to tell for you?
And have you ever had a pregnancy when using this method correctly?
I also read that taking antibiotics, acetaminophen, and musinex will alter your results. Is this true?

I know I am just getting started and I should direct my questions to my instructor, however I just wanted to get a prespective from as many couples as possible. Thank you sooo much! :slight_smile:

We absolutely LOVE this method.

Previously we used MSTM and we found it wasn’t very flexible with taking your temp at the same time each morning and I didn’t like the internal examinations.

The CM is very easy to use and your instructor will use a photo booklet to show you the different types of mucus.
It takes a little practice, as far as making observations and it took about 1 month to get in a regular habit. And honestly, you have to be really committed and keep track with the stickers. The other nice thing is that your instuctor can help you with irregular cycles, etc.

All I have to say is that we haven’t gotten pregnant when we didn’t want to and we got pregnant when we did. most importantly, we felt God was working in this method and we left it up to Him but felt 100% sure of the method itself.

Good luck!

I love creighton because I use it for my health (I am single). My doc has used my charts to diagnose probs, and fix them. It is used in Napro technology that is for health.

The one think I love about creighton over sm is that there is no iffy days. its either yes or no. if you doubt what you are looking at, you have a rule for when you are in doubt.

With the SM method, there are different approaches as in “Conservative”, etc… because some days are more likely than others to conceive. Which maybe true, but the fact that some MIGHT conceive on a day means that it could be you.

I love Creighton. I could never remember to take my temp, and if I did it was never at the same time every day. With Creighton, you just check when it’s convienient for you. We chose it because of Napro. Doctors who are trained can use it to diagnose problems and fix them. Worked for us! They found my PCOS, and prescribed treatment that allowed us to have a baby after years of infertility. It is easy to differentiate your mucus when you get used to it. Make sure you go to your follow-up appts with your instructor, it helps. I personally would never use any other method, and I’ve read about all of them. Creighton is the easiest, and most accurate I’ve found.

Silly question:

is Creighton similar to the Billing’s method?

I just started learing about the Billing’s method because the symtothermal method that I used before I had Lily was very confusing to me post- partum/breastfeeding.

Thank you all for your posts! :slight_smile: I am very confident in this method from what you have told me and from reading other threads! I think I stated one of my questions wrong… I meant to ask … “Have you ever gotten pregnant while using the method correctly to prevent a pregnancy?” Obviously this method can be used correctly to achieve a pregnancy as well :). And to Feanaro’s Wife from what I understand the Creighton method is based off of the billings method, so I assume they are quite similar (but I don’t know for sure). Thanks for your responses! I am so excited about using NFP I wish more people new about this/ wanted to use it. I feel like I should spread the good news of NFP to everyone (however I don’t know if people would find this an inappropriate topic). Thanks again, and if anyone else feels like sharing their overall experience with the Creighton method, I would love to hear more! :slight_smile: Thanks!

Hi Catherine! My husband and I have used the Creighton method for 2 1/2 years. Until recently we have been using it to achieve a pregnancy but primarily to diagnose health issues. In my case, my charting identified some fixable items and after having surgery, I’ve gone from having 6 months between cycles or 4 month long periods, or both back to back, to being on a normal cycle, even unmedicated. We have not achieved a pregnancy when trying but we haven’t achieved one when trying to avoid either. In my case there are loads of extenuating circumastances as to why I haven’t gotten pregnant. We’ve found the method to be easy, useful and straightforward. Good luck!

This method took time to understand but is so much easier than the others!! I stopped seeing a teacher ( i know is bad) and I also stopped using the charts. I now have my own charting, which is easier for me and my husband.

We do Billings, which is mucus observations only. 7.5 years married now.

When following the rules to avoid, 100% effectiveness for us.
When we tried for our first kid - first try.
When we tried for our second kid it took us a few months.
We recently decided we weren’t too sure how “serious” our reason for avoiding was, so we experimented to see if we REALLY needed to abstain as soon as mucus showed up or if we could cheat the first day… THIRD baby now on the way!! Them rules are for real!

I have used the Billings method for the last (almost) 2 years. Dh and I chose this method because at the time because it seemed the most straightforward method.

Lately, however, I have been doing some reading/studying around various NFP methods. I came accross an article that described some of the downsides of basal body temps (BBT) which I believe are part of the symptothermal method (STM). According to this article research does not support the predictability of BBT because it can be altered by various factors (short luteal phase, illness, medications, alcohol, changes in sleep patterns, stress etc.). The authors of this article recommended that BBT should not be used alone to predict ovulation.

After just being introduced to all the info, I feel a bit nervous that I won’t be able to tell the difference in the different types of mucus. How easy is it to tell for you?

It’s alright to feel nervous. In all honesty, sometimes it can be difficult to tell, especially when you are just beginning to learn. My bit of advice here would be to chart was you observe and what you feel and when in doubt use your intructor for guidance (that’s what they are there for).

Nope.

**I also read that taking antibiotics, acetaminophen, and musinex will alter your results. Is this true? **

I’m not sure. Where did you read this?

Taking my temp at the same time every morning does not fit my style. I travel, I wake up frequently in the night, and it just seems like a pain to do it.

Also, Creighton has more options for fertility consultations with Dr. Hilger’s if needed.

No, it is not true.

Very easy.

No

Not true.

Why did you choose this method over the symptothermal method?

My sleep schedule varies and the ST method wasn’t working for me. CrMS was easier for me. The best NFP system is the one that a couple will use. :slight_smile: I wasn’t compliant with ST. :o

I have looked at different web sites and a few times I have read that the symptothermal is more effective (is this true??).

This will vary by source. :smiley:

The Creighton Model simplified mucus observation. I can’t say enough about the standardized terminology.

I have a history of subfertility, but I have id’d my fertile phase with 100% accuracy using the CrMS.

I also read that taking antibiotics, acetaminophen, and musinex will alter your results. Is this true?

According to The Creighton FertilityCare System Book 1: Basic Teaching Skills, certain medications may enhance mucus, such as certain antibiotics & mucinex, and certain medications can decrease mucus, such as antihistamines.

It was my understanding that acetomienophen would not affect mucus, but perhaps there is more current information on it. I encourage you to discuss this with your FCP.

HTH!
Autumn

Hi,
I just recently was married 1mo ago and I am a Labor and Delivery nurse.

My husband and I attended our first NFP class (Creighton model) yesterday!!!

To get to my question~ I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to your dsicharge, before your missed period, if you ACHIEVE pregnancy???

Thanks,
Betsy

I am also new to the CrMS but to tell you the truth, I like STM better. I like the fact that it has the cross check methods such as cervical position and opening/closing and the temps… but because I just was diagnosed with endometriosis (thanks to STM), I decided to give CrMS a try, hoping that Dr Hilgers can help me achieve a pregnancy and stay pregnant.

So far, CrMS has been easy to learn because of my background in STM (I began doing STM in April last yr and just began doing CrMS 3 wks ago). But CrMS is more convenient and more scientific than STM. The one good thing about STM is that you have the temp shift to confirm ovulation after it happens (of course your cervical mucus would be dry/drying by then too), but I am more visual, so I like the STM charts better, being why I still use the STM chart and do the temping. I don’t do the internal checks just so that I can learn CrMS and follow it the way I’m supposed to, but I don’t know what it is that I don’t like about it… maybe it was just the instructor. She seems to not care for the fact that I know I’ve been diagnosed with endo and that I did STM for over a yr… and because we don’t want to abstain for an entire cycle, she doesn’t seem too happy with me, but I just had a laparoscopy and according to my OB, now is the best time to get pregnant for me…

Anywho, sorry to derail so much from your questions…

I take mucinex (just started last cycle) to better the quality of my CM. I’ve always had good CM, except for last cycle (the one after my laparoscopy) so I don’t know if the mucinex helped or not… I ovulated 5 days early so I didn’t even know I was ovulating so I can’t tell you yet if the mucinex really does help… I’ll know in a few day… and I also just started using OPKs in April to help me pinpoint ouvlation even more accurately (being how I found out I was ovulating earlier than ever).

I say you made a great choice in NFP methods, but personally, I liked STM a lot. But know that CrMS will help you more than STM medically speaking.

I noticed when I was pregnant that I was getting thick, pasty mucus right after ovulation… but every woman is different and I’ve only been pregnant once… :shrug:

I learned my method from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler (I highly recommend it, but it is a fertility awareness book, not a NFP book so she is not against barrier methods during fertile times, so just ignore this), because I couldn’t understand the NFP book, so I am not sure what the difference is between the Creighton and Billings methods, but basically I mainly check my mucus, so I think I am doing what you are. I have done this for about 5 years, including while I breastfed my first baby.

I did intend to use all three signs: mucus, temp, and cervix position. But I have horrible insomnia and it made getting a reliable temp difficult. Then I started taking sleeping pills, and it just got harder. I wasn’t seeing any kind of pattern that I was suppose to, so I gave up. Although I like the idea of cross checking, it just didn’t work out for me. I do still try to check my cervix position (well, when I am not pregnant), but this is difficult for me, so I mainly rely on mucus types.

It depends on your source. Although, it makes sense, because you can cross check, but ultimately, I think checking your mucus is so effective, checking your temp is just extra security. Unless you have trouble defining the types of mucus or your body doesn’t produce good mucus, then I could see checking your temp (in addition to mucus) being more effective.

It is very easy to do, for me. Basically it looks like eggwhites when you are fertile. Some women don’t produce good mucus, and they may have a harder time, but if you check every day, you do start to learn your body and are able to discriminate better over time.

No. Several times we had sex at times where it was possible to get pregnant, and twice we became pregnant. I do not consider that a mistake, because we knew there was a chance that I could get pregnant.

The biggest factor in not having “good” mucus are nutrient deficiencies (especially zinc, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and Iron). The most important thing is to make sure you have enough fruits and veggies every day. There have been many cases of women having trouble discriminating the types of mucus and after they changed their diet they had a much easier time.

Other meds than can affect your mucus (most cause the mucus to dry up): antihistamines, guaifenesin (which is the active ingredient in Robitussin), Bisolvon (this one actually creates more mucus), some antidepressants, some herbal medicines (such as golden seal and horseradish), high doses of the acidic form of vitamin C ascorbic acid, prescription antibiotics, and, oddly enough, Clomid, a fertility drug, also affects mucus.

Fortunately, most of these meds (with the possible exception of the antidepressants) are taken only temporary so you can abstain during that time to play it safe. Although every woman is different and one dosage might affect one woman and not the other, so you may not notice any change.

Also, remember that lubricant and seminal fluid can sometimes be mistaken for mucus, but after awhile you usually can tell them apart, not to mention they only stick around for about 24 hours after intercourse, but it is good to keep in mind, especially in the beginning of learning to chart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.