Cremation OK?

Yes. The same rule applies here - and I believe everywhere.

Cremation was a pagan practice. But if it’s done with dignity and the ashes are placed in a Catholic cemetery, I can’t see how this in any way implies disbelief in the resurrection. It’s an old (and in my opinion rather stupid) prejudice.

It is disgusting! We would have no relics of any saints and none in the future if this had been encouraged. I guess those who want cremation, don’t consider the possibility of sainthood for themselves!

Frankly, I find the whole cult of relics to be a bit creepy, but that’s just me. We have 5 Saints’ relics on a special shelf in our living room and whenever I pass by I kinda get the Willies. :eek:

Didn’t seem to slow down St. Joan of Arc, St. Maximillian Kolbe, which were admittedly involuntary. Where does the Church link canonization to the presence of relics? And since sainthood is essentially the formal declaration that someone is in heaven, are you saying that you think being cremated - as permitted by the Church - prevents someone from attaining heaven?

Had Cardinal Newman been cremated there may have been many more first class relics available than there are now. When his body was exhumed “all that remained was a brass plate bearing his name and the date of his death, the brass coffin handles, a brass replica of his cardinal’s hat, a small wooden crucifix inlaid with silver, and one small fragment of bone”. And it really is a small fragment, not much bigger than a coin. It seems from his final wishes he actually wanted his mortal remains to disappear as quickly as possible.

Yeah, that’s a real sensitive way to express yourself, considering maryjk mentioned that her mother had been cremated, and ChurchSoldier has experience working with the terminally ill who choose this route.

Good job, friend! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.