Cringeworthy Debate between James White and Jose Ventilacion

The debate between Trinitarian James White and Iglesia Ni Cristo apologist Jose Ventilacion here:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnElgAnN414

Did you listen?

Why was it cringeworthy?

Yes, I did.

It was like a Calculus Professor (White) debating an 8th grader (Ventilacion) who recently decided that 5 is greater than 7 and is going to, by golly, defend that despite all the evidence.

:rotfl:

Dr. White also debated( if one can call it that) extremist KJV only Pastor Steven Anderson. For 2 and 1/2 hours. If you go to Pastor Anderson’s website it says he holds no degree but has memorized many bible verses.

Why Dr. White lowers himself to this, i have no idea.

Thrilla’ in Manila 2.0? The first one with far-past-his-prime Muhammad Ali was pathetic enough. I don’t know what James White actually believes - but he does seem to have a pathological need to win arguments.

CA founder Karl Keating recalls debating some Iglesia ni Cristo folks in the Philippines many years back. He remembers feeling palpable fear as the eyes of the gathered InC “true believers” began to glaze over and their next move was unpredictable.

CA founder Karl Keating recalls debating some Iglesia ni Cristo folks in the Philippines many years back. He remembers feeling palpable fear as the eyes of the gathered InC “true believers” began to glaze over and their next move was unpredictable.

This was so close to me I initially beat myself up for not going, but after watching it on YouTube…I’m glad I didn’t. Just a terrible debate, not on the part of White of course.

Listened to that discussion several times over the past year, my favorite was when White said something like “Does it have to be in the Bible?” and I believe he appealed to tradition once or twice.

That’s interesting.

Need to listen again. Not sure i remember him saying that.

It was such a lopsided debate with Anderson out of his league, that it’s easy to tune out.

I don’t know this sounds like the setup to a joke

In the debate I cited here Ventilacion did give one good jab. He did state something like, “Well, you get this idea from Roman Catholicism, anyway…”

He was 100% correct about that. :smiley:

Wish he had pursued that jab with a left hook instead of just running around White.

I just watched a little bit of this debate. Oh my, it is really bad lol.

My former attorney would only accept cases that were slam dunks. Like that, he could brag to potential clients about his sterling record in court. I’m thinking James White is starting to do the same? To his credit he has debated some Catholic heavyweights, but between Anderson and this fellow it seems he is starting favor the punching bags.

White holds a “doctorate” from an unaccredited, Baptist church room classroom that he has affiliation with. Not much of a difference

Has anyone ever watched a debate where you felt James White won? Whether against any of the Catholic “Heavy Weights” or others?

I didn’t see this debate against Jose Ventilacion, but because my in-laws are devout Jehovah’s Witnesses, I watched his debate against Gregg Stafford. Even though I could see the logic and theology behind White’s arguments, I felt Gregg Stafford was a very accomplished debater and I think he performed a little better. So it’s not one of those “slam dunk” debates where White just crushed his opponent.

This debate. Clearly.

It’s embarrassing how Ventilacion presented his arguments and rebuttals.

Also, what’s amusing as a Catholic listening to this debate by 2 people who object to the Catholic Church’s position that a magisterium has the authority to define what Scripture means…is to hear both of them assert…

wait for it…

wait for it…

their authority to define what Scripture means.

:smiley:

They tell the Catholic Church: you do not have the right to tell us what’s the correct way to interpret Scripture! We deserve the right to do this ourselves, thank you very much!

But then they tell each other: No, Sir, your interpretation of Scripture is incorrect. THIS [insert their own teaching] is the correct way.

They seize for themselves the right to be a magisterium to their debate opponent.

#irony

GOOD DAY MERGER

I am really glad to see you here! Welcome

I am sure you will realise your concerns have been discussed on a much more “not so one sided way here” than you might be used to. Have a look around!

I am really glad to see you here. Regards!

Have a look around! Might do you some good! We have covered much of it! :smiley:

Or post some impressive memes. THAT is your prerogative

But in all seriousness! Maybe have a look! :smiley:

Actually, since this is MY thread that you have joined, YOU should be looking around here, learning a few things, my brother. :slight_smile:

You are welcome to post on any of my threads. In fact, I hope you do a search and find where I’ve been posting. Lots of things to learn!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.