Crisis of faith

Lately I have been having what I would call a crisis of faith though more a feeling of disconnection or just simply “going through the motions”. I have always been pretty devout but now its getting harder to stay focused. Just not feeling the same old joy. I have prayed about it, but so far no revelatios or change in feeling.
Any answers?

Today is the Feast day of St. Rose of Lima. Check it out and you will find that you are not alone in what you are feeling spiritually. Many Saints have experienced “dark night of the soul.” Ex. St. John of the Cross ( who coined this phrase), St Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of the Little Flower and Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta,etc.

Be patient continue to persevere in prayer inspite of what you are feeling. May the Holy Spirit fill you with His grace and lift you up in His holy embrace. May you find consolation in your faith in Jesus. Focus on Jesus and not your feelings. :angel1::angel1:

Be like Mary, who stayed near her Son even when He was being cruxcified, and it was anything but happy and joyful.

St. Ignatius recommends that, when it comes to times of desolation in our faith journey, to stay steady the course. If you were committed to daily prayer, daily Mass, scripture study, etc. then continue in your commitment. The evil one wants nothing more than to draw you away from Christ,

God allows these times as way to grow in our faith. If we can follow him only in the good, how will we ever know how we do in the not-so-good times? Don’t we all like a little challenge every now and then? Desolation is not fun, by any means. We are in relationship with God and even the best of relationships go through difficult times.

Cling to the times you remember when God was working powerfully in your life. Spend time imaging those events/feelings. Live in the past with Christ who will reunite you with himself in the future.

Peace,
Teri

You might look into a guided retreat. You could check with your parish or with your diocese for information and schedules.

All i can say is This is more usual than unusual.Its not a nice place to be in and is very disturbing.I sometimes wonder why this happens and why the Lord can seem so far away at times.When we feel his light there is nothing to compare with.The world and everything is still a problem but we are on higher ground.I have asked myself is it me that stops focusing on Jesus,forgetting in the process that he is in charge,and i have handed my life fully over to him.You know you have helped me in raising this and thanks for sharing .I will keep you in prayer and remember also others with this problem.I have found writing out the Lord’s Prayer and meditating on each line to be a great Help.
Do you know that song.Give me Joy in my Heart.keep me praising.well maybe it’s difficult for you to sing it right now. Do it anyway. :thumbsup:

Patience and perseverance may be the virtues which make you holy. Keep at them.

My dear friend,

A big welcome to the forums:)

If you find trials, suffering and obstacles in this world it means God loves you a great deal. It shows He has favoured you and if you persevere you’ll get a high place in heaven. Thank God for your trials. Try reading the below. It may help. God bless you. John

This spoke straight to the depths of my heart and soul when I read it. Hope you like it.Jesus speaking with St Gema Galgani. My patron.

Jesus once said to me: “Do you know, daughter, for what reason I send crosses to souls dear to me? I desire to possess their souls, entirely, and for this I surround them with crosses, and I enclose them in sufferings and tribulation, that they may not escape from my hands; and for this I scatter thorns, that souls may fasten their affections upon no one, but find all content in Me alone. My daughter, if you do not feel the cross it cannot be called a cross. Be sure that under the cross you will not be lost. The demon has no strength against those souls who for My love groan under the cross. 0 My daughter, how many would have abandoned Me if they had not been crucified. The cross is a gift too precious, and from it come many virtues."
I prayed then to Jesus that He would not concede to me any grace except that of loving Him very much, and Jesus said: “Oh soul dear to me, if you truly love Me, behold My chalice; you can drink it to the last drop. On this chalice I have placed My lips, and I want you to drink it.” I told Jesus to do with me as He would. And then He said to me: "I have sent this cross to you, you do not appreciate it; rather it is contrary to your desire, but the more it is contrary, the more it is like Mine. Would it not seem to you a dreadful thing to see a father in the midst of sorrow and the children enjoying them
selves? When I shall be your Spouse of blood, I will come to you, but crucified; show your love to me as I have shown it toward you, and do you know how? By suffering, pains, and crosses without number. You ought, therefore, to consider yourself honored, if I lead you on paths hard and painful; if I permit that you be tor*mented by the demon, that the world despise you, that persons most dear to you afflict you, and with daily martyrdom, I permit your soul to be purified and tested. And you, daughter, think only of practicing great virtue; run in the path of the Divine Will, humbled, assured, that if I hold you to the cross, I love you.”

May His Majesty, our Divine King, touch your heart and console you in your trials :-)))

John

Have you shaken up your routine at all? Attend additional Masses in the week, even one, or attend a different Catholic church in your area on Sunday, something like that? Put yourself in a new environment temporarily and it might spark something in you.

I started taking my young son to the “teen” Masses on Sunday evenings a few years ago, thinking it might be more relevant to him. I expected to hate it and hate it I did. Till I went for a few weeks, and then the “praise band” style of music started to speak to me a little bit and I started to appreciate the commitment of all those young people taking leadership roles in the parts of the Mass and what do you know? I was back in business. It did me a world of good where I didn’t even expect it to.

Try something different. It might open up a little window to your prayer life, your connection with God, that you don’t even know is closed right now.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I will take to heart everything you have said and really try to work on my feelings. It is truly disheartening to feel this way and I hate it, but I will try to work it out. Thanks again.

My dear friend

Perhaps read the famous footprints prayer again. It may also help to read the book of Job to understand testing and trials a bit better. The important thing is that God is giving you an opportunity to show that you really love Him. If it was all roses then what merit would there be for us. If we make a sacrific we become like God who made the ultimate sacrifice on the Cross, and revealed His infinite love for us- infinite sacrificial love.

Sometimes God helps us a little less so we can grow. We think we’re going backwards but in reality we’re progressing. It’s like training in army boots running in the sand. When the race comes we find we fly on the track.

Bad times come and we thnk 'its forever, but its not. Good times come and we think that’s forever too, but 's not.

Hang in there. We will laugh at our woes in this life whewe get to heaven.

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Thank you for your most inspirational words. How funny you should mention Job, because sometimes that’s exactly how I feel. I will take your comments to heart and thank you again.

Hello,I hope things are better for you.It would be fantastic help to me also if there were some replies to your journey of faith and present condition,that have never experienced this lonely period.The reponses from everyone are so genuine,however i am afraid you may be swamped in prayers,novenas.extra masses etc.All very good but you could end up with exshaustion on top of your crisis of faith. Why not do nothing.Just thank and praise god for all the good things he has done in your life.take time to listen to the holy spirit promptings.
I dont want to probe but what has changed in your life ?
You will find the answers if you pray on this and be prepared to make some changes.
There really are no answers .It is within the answers are.
This too shall pass.
Anyway in the meantime (keep on the sunny side)
God Bless.

Welcome to the “Dark Night of the Soul”. It is a peiod of spiritual dryness that everyone expirences sooner or later on their faith journey. Be faithful to the Church. Keep praying and know that He is near even if you can’t feel Him at the moment. It will finally end and you will be stronger in the faith because of it. :hug3:

The Bible says "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word "
Why not use this dry time to build up your faith by reading the Word of God ?

You could read daily One chapter of the Gospels
Or the Letters of St. Paul
Also the Psalms
What you say and believe is more important than changeable feelings
Also the " Imitation of Christ " read prayerfully
They are the No.1 and No.2 alltime bestsellers

For God’s Presence on a daily basis you can practice Christian meditation.

Hope this is helpful :thumbsup:

It is true there has been a change in my life being in that we have moved and I have changed my church. At my old church I felt connected and really, really motivated. At this new church, well relatively new two years now, I don’t have the same feeling. Say what you will about the surroundings but it does make a difference as well as the priests. My old church held my attention, now I find my mind wandering. I know it will pass, but right now I am just so indifferent. Thank you for your kind words and I will keep trying.

Well Hello again,and it is miserable weather here.anyway back to the topic.I am not going to pray for your crisis of faith,rather i am going to pray that the good Lord is going to show you how he is going to use you,I get the impression the church or parish you are in now you have difficulty connecting with.I wonder are their other parishioners with similiar feelings.You obviously eperienced a warm atmosphere in your previous church.
Could you bring this point of difference to your new parish? In other word’s ,should you pray on this and when the time is right (you will know)trust in the holy spirit.Step out in faithand get involved where you think the need’s are,of course after discussing with the priest.Every church or parish is as good as the body.which is the people.
I am going this sunday on a retreat for a week. and will remember to pray for you.
however the prayer i am offering is that you get moving, i have no doubts there are needs where you are,
There is a song that i heard at a charismatic meeting which the opening lines were
Be Bold Be Strong For THe Lord Our God Is With You.

God Bless for now . (still raining here)

Peace be with you.

Set aside a hour a week and go to Eucharistic Adoration. Spending an hour in front of Jesus is a blessing we are given. Pray. Be quiet. Listen. Speak the name “Jesus” over and over.

Write a letter from you to God. Then write one from God to you. What would He say?

Remember, you are a child of God and he loves you.

Blessin’s

Thank you all for your continued support. Obviously God knew the right place for me to get some answers. Hopefully all will work out, as I am confident it will.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.