Cristian Prayer ( liturgy of the hours ) question

As always I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong spot but I'm new and still trying to get a feel for this site. My question is this...... I have prayed Christian Prayer ( Liturgy of the hours ) for about 10 years now and have always done Lauds- Vespers- and Compline. I have those over the last decade down with no problems. Lately I have been getting into the office of readings but I don't feel I am doing it correctly it feels like something is missing. Unlike morning or evening prayers there are no instruction in the book and the suplimentary from St. Joseph books gives the day ie. Wensday week 1 then a scriptual reading and a non-scriptual reading. I know from online sources there should be resposories in there which are not in the Christian prayer book and there should be a closing prayer which I can't seem to find either. Any advice on how to do the office of readings in Christian prayer would be MUCH appreciated !! God Bless.

[quote="Aschecte, post:1, topic:307697"]
As always I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong spot but I'm new and still trying to get a feel for this site. My question is this...... I have prayed Christian Prayer ( Liturgy of the hours ) for about 10 years now and have always done Lauds- Vespers- and Compline. I have those over the last decade down with no problems. Lately I have been getting into the office of readings but I don't feel I am doing it correctly it feels like something is missing. Unlike morning or evening prayers there are no instruction in the book and the suplimentary from St. Joseph books gives the day ie. Wensday week 1 then a scriptual reading and a non-scriptual reading. I know from online sources there should be resposories in there which are not in the Christian prayer book and there should be a closing prayer which I can't seem to find either. Any advice on how to do the office of readings in Christian prayer would be MUCH appreciated !! God Bless.

[/quote]

I don't think you can use Christian Prayer to pray the Office of readings; you would need the four–volume set.

[quote="JGMendes4049, post:2, topic:307697"]
I don't think you can use Christian Prayer to pray the Office of readings; you would need the four–volume set.

[/quote]

You can but in an abridged manner. I think the psalmody is there but only a small selection of readings.

The responsories are optional in private recitation. For the collects (closing prayers) the licit option is to use the closing prayer of the previous Sunday on ordinary days, or the closing prayer of the day for Lauds & Vespers for the seasons, or of the feast or memorial, for solemnities, feasts and memorials.

To do the OOR all-out, you need either the 4-volume LOTH, or you can see if you can find a lectionary somewhere. I use a 2-year monastic lectionary published by Solesmes, but it's in Latin and French. You could also look up the references in the index for the 1- or optional 2-year cycle of bible readings and read those from your bible, and use the small selection of patristic readings in CP for your second reading. Not sure what you'd do for the hagiographic readings.

I have been praying the liturgy of the hours ever since I have been ordained a permanent deacon since May 31, 1980. The office of reading starts at the beginning of the Hours for each day of the year...You have to go to the office for the day and there is a hymn then the psalms. Then for the scripture reading and a reading from one of the Church Fathers you go to the front of the book.
snowdrop

Yes, you need the Four Volumn Set. In 1980 I bought each set for 20.00 dollars, now they are 34, I had to buy new ones. It is good you pray the Hours. They are the prayers of the Church.
A permenant deacon only has to say Morning, Evening and Night prayers. Ordained Priest has to say the entire office. However, many deacons and others who pray the office try to get in all the hours.
Snowdrop

[quote="OraLabora, post:3, topic:307697"]
You can but in an abridged manner. I think the psalmody is there but only a small selection of readings.

The responsories are optional in private recitation. For the collects (closing prayers) the licit option is to use the closing prayer of the previous Sunday on ordinary days, or the closing prayer of the day for Lauds & Vespers for the seasons, or of the feast or memorial, for solemnities, feasts and memorials.

To do the OOR all-out, you need either the 4-volume LOTH, or you can see if you can find a lectionary somewhere. I use a 2-year monastic lectionary published by Solesmes, but it's in Latin and French. You could also look up the references in the index for the 1- or optional 2-year cycle of bible readings and read those from your bible, and use the small selection of patristic readings in CP for your second reading. Not sure what you'd do for the hagiographic readings.

[/quote]

This is kinda what I thought was the case but I wasn't sure. Yes the psalmody is there but you are correct in that there is a limited amount of readings available. I have been using the 2 year cycle at the end of the book for my first reading ie. yesterday was Isaiah 6:1-13 and the second reading I'm at a loss as there are non scriptural readings but no direction as to which one is best suited for the day. I guess until I buy the 4 volume set ill wing the second non scriptural reading. As to the hagiographic readings please forgive me as I am ignorant to the placement of hagiographic readings with Christian prayer. Hagiographic readings would be written by saints if I'm not mistaken. Just to clarify the closing prayers if I understand correctly during ordinary time I would use the previous Sunday so like today we are in week 1 so I would us Sunday vespers week 4 closing prayer. For seasons I would use the lauds or vespers closing prayer for the day and for solemnities, feasts, or memorials use the prayer for the day. The responsories are optional so not included.

God bless !!! I am actually going through discernment right now for the permanent diaconate. I recognized my calling at a young age and now have a family which changes my vocation but we ( my wife and I )are discussing the diaconate with spiritual directors.

I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours with Christian prayer too, but like you, I wanted to start praying the Office of Readings, so i bought the 4 volume set, and In my opinion if you want to pray the OOR, get the 4 volume set, its worth the price :thumbsup: God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.