Criticising the Catholic Church

Why is it that many protestants are always criticising the Catholic Church. You never hear them criticising each other.

I had a Pentecostal friend. One day she rang me just as I was going to Mass. She later asked me if I went to Church because I wanted to or because I had to. She told me that Catholics change every thing. (we did not take out the 7 books of the Old Testament. Another day she told me that all Catholics were sinners. My answer was, "Yes Lord I am a pure Pentecostal Pharisee that’s why I can kneel in the front of the church. I am not like that Catholic Publican sinner kneeling at the back of the church:. That shut her up.

I had a Baptist friend who came over at least twice a week. Not once did he not say something against the Catholic Church. Ultimately I ended my friendship with him.

Is it because deep down they know that the Catholic Church is the one true Church?

Yes, Catholics and protestants are very much at odds with each other (even if you include catholic protestants, e.g. Anglicans and Lutherans).

However, your other claim – that protestants don’t criticize each other – is not true. I’m not denying that it is true to your particular experience; but you should not state it as a general fact.

Protestants often criticize each other. That is why there are thousands of divergent protestant churches.

Don’t worry if you are criticized for being Catholic. Christ said to rejoice if we are persecuted for his sake.

Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me.

I think it’s indicative of our sinful human nature. We do this all the time in other parts of our lives - think about people that leave one job for another. Much of the time, in order to justify leaving, they focus narrowly and even embellish the “bad” in their former jobs.

Oh yeah’protestants do call each other names.My dad worked as head custodian at a school here after he retired from the Airforce. Sometimes one of the local baptist churches until they got their new one built would use the cafeteria for services. Anyhow the priincipal a methodist
asked my dad if he was working that night for the Babelists.That was her nickname for baptists.

I myself haven’t had that problem that you mention. Most people when they learn I’m catholic leave me alone that way.
And do Catholics critize the Church yes. But for many catholics even in the Middle Ages and Renisannce it was not what we believe; but the actions of the heiarchy and clergy being highhanded;greedy; grasping for money;etc. There have been various attempts to reform the Church. I have not read Martin Luther’s Theises; but i think that Luther might have meant well
when he started off. However his pride and other things got in the way and so he created a heresy.

A protestant at work said she noticed Catholics going to church on Saturday evening and made fun saying “we go to church on Sundays not Saturdays”.

I am generally told what I do and believe by protestants rather than asked.

I too have experienced criticism from non-Catholics/Protestants myself. We as Catholics should learn more about what it means to be Catholic. To better understand more fully what we believe. And to give an answer to those who knock what we believe. Perhaps those non-Catholics/Protestants can start to see the truths about what we do believe. Perhaps they come from a Protestant upbringing being told how wrong the Catholic Church is. Or they were raised Catholic and for whatever reason have left the Catholic Church and now find fault with Catholicism. Pray that they will return to the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Well, they say defence is the best form of attack.

Also, to borrow from John Bowlby, father of attachment theory: “Separation initially leads to anger and anxiety.” :smiley:

You never hear them criticising each other.

Now here, I’ll disagree. Reformed vs Pentecostal, Calvinist vs Arminian, Calvinist vs Hyper-Calvinist, High Church vs Low Church - they have more divisions than we have Saints. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a Pentecostal friend. One day she rang me just as I was going to Mass. She later asked me if I went to Church because I wanted to or because I had to. She told me that Catholics change every thing. (we did not take out the 7 books of the Old Testament. Another day she told me that all Catholics were sinners. My answer was, "Yes Lord I am a pure Pentecostal Pharisee that’s why I can kneel in the front of the church. I am not like that Catholic Publican sinner kneeling at the back of the church:. That shut her up.

I had a Baptist friend who came over at least twice a week. Not once did he not say something against the Catholic Church. Ultimately I ended my friendship with him.

I once had a friend like that. We’ve since agreed not to discuss the issue, and get on fairly well. :slight_smile:

Is it because deep down they know that the Catholic Church is the one true Church?

I’d say yes.

Very true.

There’s also another fact about human nature: we are, often times, drawn to garbage like flies drawn to, well, garbage. I’m thinking of the inclination to read all kinds of Protestant bloggers who trash Catholics (and vice versa). Even on reputable discussion forums, I try to be very selective and only read the good stuff, but it is so hard.

of course, I’m just assuming we’re all familiar with flies, so I needn’t elaborate concerning what they are drawn to.

We do criticize one another. But why would we criticize other Protestants to someone who is Catholic? Obviously, if someone wants to criticize other religions, they start with the person right in front of them.

Pentecostals do kneel in church. But back on topic, you’re Pentecostal friend most likely thinks that the Baptists are “dead” and wrong about OSAS, the Methodists are “dead” and “worldly,” the Presbyterians are “dead” and near heretics if they believe in double predestination, and the Episcopal Church is “dead” and immoral because all they care about is church membership and could care less whether you sinned or not.

So, basically, Protestants do criticize each other.

Either that or they are truly concerned about the salvation of your soul. I’ve learned that you just gotta smother people like that with love. Let them know you appreciate their concern for you. It’s also an opportunity to teach them a little bit about the Catholic faith. Take your opportunities when you can. :thumbsup:

That is such a good comment. Remember the old adage, ‘People won’t care what you believe until they believe that you care’.

Like people have stated, the church will always be attacked because are right. The Protestant churches don’t like us because of our beliefs, society hats us because we try to help people walk down the right path, and recently I’ve been hearing, that satanist are mentioned to hate the mass. They never complain of any Protestant service, just the mass.

There is a reason they still call themselves “Protest-ants.” They were founded in protest against the Church and to one degree or another they are taught those protests. Depending on their upbringing or pastor, some have more protests against the Church than others. Some are taught not to judge Catholics (just don’t do what we do) while others are taught that we are pagans.

Is anyone catching the irony in this thread?

Personally, I prefer Luke Jackson’s way of putting it: “I wish you’d stop being so good to me Captain.”

This thread reminds me of an old joke:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump. I ran over and said: “Stop. Don’t do it.”

“Why shouldn’t I?” he asked.

“Well, there’s so much to live for!”

“Like what?”

“Are you religious?”

He said, “Yes.”

I said, “Me too. Are you Christian or Buddhist?”

“Christian.”

“Me too. Are you Catholic or Protestant?”

“Protestant.”

“Me too. Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?”

“Baptist.”

“Wow. Me too. Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?”

“Baptist Church of God.”

“Me too. Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?”

“Reformed Baptist Church of God.”

“Me too. Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?”

He said: “Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915.”

I said: “Die, heretic scum,” and pushed him off.

that isn’t alway an accurate analysis and isn’t fair to lump all Protestants together. i grew-up in United Methodist Church which had a high liturgy (due to it’s Anglican roots). I can say about them that I never heard any criticisms of any other Christian group and my confirmation class even paid a visit to the neighboring Catholic Church. When I left them and went to independent Charismatic groups, is when I started hearing and seeing “criticisms” of other Christian groups. When i went away to college and participated in different campus ministries usually run by evangelical groups, i certainly more than anywhere else, witness Christians bashing others as being less spiritual, less Biblical, less real etc and so on. Different Protestants do criticize others Church services and worship as being ritualistic and mechanical or not spirit filled. There certainly many different Protestant groups see themselves as more authentic or Biblical or close to what the Church was in Acts or more “spiritually serious” and not like that social club style Church down the road. I’ve also witnessed about 4 different Church splits. The more fundamentalist the mind set, the more that person will think they have it right as opposed to the other guy. One of the first things that actually attracted me to the Catholic Church is that I didn’t see Catholics going around thinking they were the better Christians than someone else. The only think I would say to Op is to use the different comments spoken to him as opportunities to educate and plant seeds because his friends are just speaking out of ignorance.

If your trying to win the prize for nastiness on the internet, you should know that the competition is pretty fierce.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.