Critics call it evangelical propaganda. Can the Museum of the Bible convert them?

In Washington, separation of church and state isn’t just a principle of governance, it’s an architectural and geographic rule as well. Pierre L’Enfant envisioned a national church on Eighth Street. A patent office was built on the site instead. More than 100 years later, the city finally got its National Cathedral — far from Capitol Hill, in the upper northwest corner of town. The downtown skyline is dominated by monuments to men; the Holocaust Museum and altarpieces in the National Gallery of Art are the closest things to religion you’ll find on the Mall. Washington, of course, has its believers, but they practice too many faiths to fit under one roof.

Now, though, the Good Book is coming to town in a big way. The Museum of the Bible — backed by the evangelical owners of the craft store Hobby Lobby, who famously took their objections to contraception and Obamacare to the Supreme Court — is set to open in 2017, just off the Mall. The proximity of the museum to the world-class Smithsonian and the Capitol has raised eyebrows. How will it fit in among the venerable institutions lining the Mall? How will it function in a multicultural city? And what version of the Bible will we get?

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2015/09/04/f145def4-4b59-11e5-bfb9-9736d04fc8e4_story.html

Pax Christi!

Gotta get feedback from evangelical friends! And I think I really want to see it!

God bless.

That article (and the comments) were seething with hate for the museum and it’s founders. Any thought of Jesus brings out the worst in some people. If it were a museum of the Buddha, no one would give a rat’s behind. :shrug:

The museum has been inspired by all faiths as long as they consider the bible as there book. It will have one of the first bibles printed in English. Even a Mormon bible.

I find the history of the Bible fascinating. Good for them. I would definitely stop by and see this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.