Critics predict violence and deaths over CIA torture report - CBS

**Critics predict violence and deaths over CIA torture report **

WASHINGTON – Foreign governments and U.S. intelligence agencies are predicting that the release of a Senate report examining the use of torture by the CIA will cause “violence and deaths” abroad, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said Sunday.

Rep. Mike Rogers, a Michigan Republican, is regularly briefed on intelligence assessments. He told CNN’s “State of the Union” that U.S. intelligence agencies and foreign governments have said privately that the release of the report on CIA interrogations a decade ago will be used by extremists to incite violence that is likely to cost lives. The 480-page report, a summary of a still-classified 6,000 page study, is expected to be made public next week.

A U.S. intelligence official, who was not authorized to be quoted discussing classified intelligence assessments, said Congress had been warned “of the heightened potential that the release could stimulate a violent response.”

cbsnews.com/news/mike-rogers-releasing-senates-cia-torture-report-a-terrible-idea/

CIA responds some in this Washington Post blog article:

washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/12/07/former-cia-chief-says-agency-never-lied-about-torture/

Hayden also credited President Bush for ending the practice of waterboarding.

“A popular story is that President Obama had done that," he said. "Actually, it was long gone before he became president. And the last person waterboarded, of a total of three, was in March of 2003.”

Still, if any of this is like what happened at Abu Ghirab, I’d hope it doesn’t need to be repeated to the public again.

[quote=Still, if any of this is like what happened at Abu Ghirab, I’d hope it doesn’t need to be repeated to the public again.
[/QUOTE]

I guess I’ll differ with you in that I kinda want to know what my government is doing in my name.
[/quote]

I guess I’ll differ with you in that I want to know what my government is doing in my name.

No reason to personalize your statement, we all have a right to an opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.