Critics Slam ABC Pilot 'Good Christian B*****s' for 'Inappropriate,' 'Damaging' Title

"An ABC pilot called “Good Christian B*tches” has religious and women’s groups up in arms over what they describe as an extremely offensive and distasteful show title.

The dramedy, based on Kim Gatlin’s novel of the same name, will be brought to life by famed “Sex and the City” and “90210” executive producer Darren Star. The plot centers on the life of reformed “mean girl” Amanda, played by “Talladega Nights” actress Leslie Bibb, who returns to her hometown of Dallas to find herself fodder for malicious gossip from the women in the Christian community. "

foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/03/04/critics-slam-abc-pilot-good-christian-bitches-inappropriate-damaging-title/?test=faces

Looks terrible.

well since its fox we are talking about, expect it to not even last one season

umm, Did you read the post, the title of this thread, or the linked article?

It is ABC not Fox. It is Fox News that reported on this, and ABC show.

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:231318"]
umm, Did you read the post, the title of this thread, or the linked article?

It is ABC not Fox. It is Fox News that reported on this, and ABC show.

[/quote]

na, i just skimmed. well, then its worse then i thought

[quote="I_R, post:5, topic:231318"]
na, i just skimmed. well, then its worse then i thought

[/quote]

Sorry if I was a bit short with my reply.

Yes it is worse, as you said, if it was Fox we could be sure it would die a quick death, or be killed by Fox which they seem to be very adept at.

I doubt that the show, if it actually makes it to the air, will survive with the current title.

When the book came out a couple years ago, the author (of course) did a publicity tour. She described the book in this Newsweek interview:

Is this phenomenon of catty, devout women specific to Dallas?

This is a universal subject. In every affluent neighborhood and every trailer park you have people who are going to gossip and disappoint each other and betray one another. That's just an ugly part of human nature.

Have you ever been a good Christian B?

Absolutely. We're all guilty of it to a degree. It's already gotten to be a term with my girlfriends. They'll call me and say, "I was the biggest G.C.B. today," or, "I just got G.C.B.'d so bad!" All Southern girls are taught to love Jesus, but just because we're Christians doesn't mean we're perfect.

Will your pastor get past the title of the book?

The title is not mocking God. It's mocking those of us who love God and don't always make the best choices to honor him.

I won't post a link to the interview because of the frequent use of a forbidden word, however, the article should be easy to find via Google.

Thank you for taking the time to share that interview. :wink:

The author talks of not mocking God but mocking those who dont always make the best choices to honnour Him. But how exactly is demonising Christians and stereotyping them as gossips and prudes and hypocrits a good choice of honnouring God? If anything it gives anti-religious people more amunition and more reason to be anti-religious and therefore more anti-God. Christian demonisation is happening day-in-day-out in the media, so she neednt think she’s being orrigional or cutting-edge. You only have to watch tv for half an hour before something hurtful against spirituality, in particular Christianity, is mentioned (Im from the UK and things here are really anti-Christianity at the moment. It was a massive blessing that the Pope’s visit went so well). Its usually a cheap shot or some lame comedian trying to get easy laughs but its still hurtful. Also has anyone esle noticed that Ned Flanders from the Simpsons is much less likeable than he used to be? When the show first started he was the Christian hero who was patient, kind and didnt have a bad bone in his body or a harsh word to say against anyone, but now in these days of it being safe and fashionable to Christian-bash, he’s portrayed as a snobby, judgemental busy-body all on account of his Christianity and I find it really upsetting that the show could do that to one of its most beloved characters.

[quote="CrazyRachel, post:8, topic:231318"]
Thank you for taking the time to share that interview.

[/quote]

You're welcome. :)

I am not familiar with the book, but its (unfortunate) title does explain the tentative title given to the television show which is under development. And I think the interview gives us a better idea of what to expect in the show. Rather than demonizing all Christians, it will contrast a humble sinner trying to redeem her life versus those who judge themselves to be good Christians yet seem to miss the message of Christ. As a comedy, I expect it will focus on the exasperation of the heroine and the cattiness of her rivals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the show will be anti-Christian.

[quote="Dale_M, post:9, topic:231318"]

I am not familiar with the book, but its (unfortunate) title does explain the tentative title given to the television show which is under development. And I think the interview gives us a better idea of what to expect in the show. Rather than demonizing all Christians, it will contrast a humble sinner trying to redeem her life versus those who judge themselves to be good Christians yet seem to miss the message of Christ. As a comedy, I expect it will focus on the exasperation of the heroine and the cattiness of her rivals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the show will be anti-Christian.

[/quote]

Considering the producer I have to default assume that the show is anti-Christian.

[/quote]

I do see what you mean, but the secularists will take it to be anti-Christian and will love the show because of it. They'll focus on the cattiness (great word btw :thumbsup:) of the antagonists and say, ''thats what all Christians are like! They're such hypocrites!" They'll have more amunition to continue to unfairly judge the Christian community. Its happened before and it will happen again.

[quote="Timothy17, post:10, topic:231318"]
Considering the producer I have to default assume that the show is anti-Christian.

[/quote]

Well if he produced Sex in the lame, stupid City :banghead: then I think its fair to say you may be right. Incase anyone is wondering I cannot stand Sex in the City.

[/quote]

That's a fair interpretation, I think. It is a very unfortunate title, but it may or may not be an anti-Chrtistian show.

This time of year, though, there are loads of pilot premises that are being circulated for consideration. This TV Guide article lists 80+ pilots for the 5 main networks. Very few of them will actually make it to the air at all and even fewer will last an entire season let alone get renewed for future seasons.

The more we fret about such pilots now, the more buzz we create for them and the more likely it is that they will become one of the chosen few to actually make it to production.

Actually I think what you've said is sensible. The more you fret and build something up the more attention is brought to it and it becomes more sensationalised. So if we chillax things wont get out of hand. Im just sick of the television I watch being very limited because if I watch comedy, which I used to love, the chances are I get my feelings hurt because something very nasty and hurtful not only to Christians but to religion and the Lord Himself is mentioned and everyone has a good laugh at the expense of some people's dearly held beliefs. So now I just dont watch it at all just incase. Im from the UK and things here are so secular and anti-religion right now and thats mainly due to our television programmes and the people on them, mainly comedians who are too full of their own sense of self importance and many of whom signed a petition to protest the Papal visit, alot of them lobbied to get him arrested as soon as he landed and all their little fans were behind them agreeing with them because they were too scared to have any opinion other then the most popular and fashionable one. To be fair though, I cant get too upset about them because they were quite unsuccessful to say the least lol. Bah! Television is just lame in general these days .

I had to look it up because I did not trust my own eyes on this one. This is the most blatantly antichristian story lines (and titles) I have seen in a long time. If this was made about Muslims, the President would be weighing in. If this show was equally degrading to blacks, then the whole country would be up in arms.

[quote="pnewton, post:14, topic:231318"]
I had to look it up because I did not trust my own eyes on this one. This is the most blatantly antichristian story lines (and titles) I have seen in a long time. If this was made about Muslims, the President would be weighing in.

[/quote]

Thats the annoying double standard we live by in this day and age. Im all for not judging Muslims and assuming the worst about them, especially the every day regular guys who just want to get on with their lives. The Lord knows, I was close friends with a muslim girl in school and just last year I attended her wedding, and she's one of the most nice, down to earth girls you could ever meet. But then again so are all of the Christian girls I know. However, the muslim community is definately offered more protection publically than the Christian community - if the Christian community is even offered any at all. When a mean joke is made about muslims there is outcry and a major demand for an apology (normally made most loudly not by muslims, but secularists who wish to appear unracist and politically correct - appear being the operative word), but when a mean joke is made about Christians, or even Jesus himself, everyone just laughs and then ridicules the Christians who stand up and express their hurt feelings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.