Critics Taunt Dr. Anthony Fauci for Watching Baseball Game Without a Mask

In all fairness to Fauci, there is some bottled water in front of him and I am going to assume it is his AND he is about to drink it.

The woman next to him removed her mask too (see that on the link) so that one bottle of water nobody is drinking MAY have been hers too.

That being said, Fauci clearly is not social distancing though.

I want to support Dr. Fauci’s ACTIONS though. This is his choice and he evidently knows that in practice.

Critics Taunt Dr. Anthony Fauci for Watching Baseball Game Without a Mask

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, center, smiles as he watches an opening day baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the New York Yankees at Nationals Park, Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

AP Photo/Alex Brandon

CHARLIE SPIERING

24 Jul 2020

Critics of Dr. Anthony Fauci taunted him Thursday for watching a baseball game in person without a mask.

Fauci made a public appearance at the Washington Nationals home opener against the New York Yankees, wearing a team-themed mask when he threw out the first pitch. . . .

. . . After his on-camera appearance, Fauci sat in the stands to watch the game and removed his mask. He was also not properly socially distanced (six feet apart) from two other people in the ballpark. . . .

. . . “And there’s Dr. Anthony Fauci showing us all he knows exactly how well masks work!” wrote former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson, a frequent critic of Fauci’s alarmism about coronavirus. “Thanks for the lesson, doc.” . . .

. . . Washington, DC, Mayor Muriel Bowser enacted a strict mask order on Wednesday ordering people over the age of two leaving their homes would be required to wear a mask with the threat of a fine of up to $1,000 for violating the order. . . .

. . . In March, Fauci said there was “no reason to be walking around with a mask” even though it “might make people feel a little bit better” but has since reversed his opinion in favor of frequent mask-wearing.

In July, Fauci said he did not regret his earlier advice because, “in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct.”

“When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don’t know they’re infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks,” he said to InStyle Magazine .

1 Like

He had thrown out the first pitch (badly) and said he was rehydrating.

It was hot as heck yesterday in the DC area, until a line of very loud thunderstorms came through. Like they did the day before. Like they will today.

I hope he was drinking.

1 Like

He’s sitting outdoors, with two masked family members with no one around him. His mask is lowered.

Maybe he just drank something. There are obviously no other people near him.

What should be news is that he and his family are getting death threats.

That should be what we are discussing, and all in unison decrying the death threats.

5 Likes

He’s almost 80 so it’s ok he threw badly. He played basketball in HS I think.

I have thrown thousands of “buckets o’ balls” for batting practice in my time coaching little league. Some of that was on the 90 foot (high school, college, pro) fields. If you’re in shape, it isn’t hard.

If you’re not in shape, or don’t have good mechanics, it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

F_Marturana . . .

There are obviously no other people near him.

There ARE obviously other people near him.

Look at the photos.

There is a woman sitting next to him to his left and a man to his right the same.

1 Like

These people may be family members that he’s already exposed to on a daily basis. I don’t wear a mask around my wife because we’re in such close contact that whatever one of us has the other is bound to have as well.

They may also be coworkers from the NIH who are tested constantly. None of this proves Fauci is some kind of hypocrite.

6 Likes

What should be news is that he and his family are getting death threats.

I thought it WAS news.

That should be what we are discussing, and all in unison decrying the death threats.

I’m good with you beginning a thread on it.
I will in unison decry those threats there too.

Just like I have asked many on the left to do when President Trump is threatened.
Support for President Trump “in unison”.

When I ask for those obvious types of “unison” for this and pre-born babies getting death threats, I get insulted calling them a “purity test”.

So even though I will join you (please tag me when you begin your thread so I know and can join you in calling for Dr. Fauci’s safety), you may not get as much of a response as we might expect.

RolandThompsonGunner . . .

These people may be family members that he’s already exposed to on a daily basis. I don’t wear a mask around my wife . . .They may also be coworkers from the NIH who are tested constantly. None of this proves Fauci is some kind of hypocrite.

You may have not read my points.

I agree with Fauci not wearing a mask if he doesn’t want to.

For ANY reason.

I had a test recently too (negative) as a precaution for something else I needed.

When I went to a certain public place I still had to wear a mask to be in that business.

Your point was that he’s not socially distancing enough, right?

And I am fine with him not socially distancing too.

That is his call if he wants to do what he recomends or not and if he thinks he has good enough reasons or excuses to violate them or not.

Even if he is flouting the stadium’s policies.

I’m not fine with either. He has an obligation to wear a mask and socially distance.

That said, we don’t know if this violates social distancing because we don’t know who these people are. I suspect this is more of breitbart trying to stir the pot.

4 Likes

Breitbart -stirring the pot, never happen mate, never happen.

That reminds me, where did I put my ladle? I was going to cook up some porridge for tomorrow morning and leave it ready.

1 Like

RolandThompsonGunner on Dr. Fauci here . . .

I’m not fine with either. He has an obligation to wear a mask and socially distance.

Look. I am OK with you and I disagreeing here.

That said, we don’t know if this violates social distancing because we don’t know who these people are.

Do you think this business has a sign like so many other businesses that says . . .

Remember to social distance! 6 feet!

Or some such?

I do.

I see them pretty much wherever I go.

Do you think that this business (the Nats stadium) has a sign that says . . .

Remember your social distancing. Unless you have had a corona virus test recently and think that your “recently” is good enough for you to not social distance.

No. Probably not.

I don’t think that either.

Either . . .

It is irrelevant what Fauci thinks when he is in someone else’s business dwelling (the Nats stadium) (He should obey their rules on their premises) . . . Or. . .

. . . Or it is ALSO relevant for ALL of us and what we think too if we think there is good reason to blow off their signs and recomendations too whenever we think we are around people we know well enough.

(Not to mention him violating his own recomendations.)

I think it’s safe to assume that dr Fauci was with people he knew. There are currently no fans at games.

Much ado about nothing.

3 Likes

Probably yeah. And everyone understands that doesn’t apply to people you have existing intimate contact with. No one expects spouses or parents and kids to stay six feet apart. Socially distancing applies to strangers.

We don’t know who these people and what Fuacis relationship with them is.

We don’t know who these people and what Fuacis relationship with them is.

The same PRINCIPLE holds true for the rest of us too.
We can decide if “relationships” are close enough too!

After all. There is no controlled scientific data on any of this.

2 Likes

Not really, no. Businesses can mandate social distancing and if you don’t like it, don’t go in.

But again, everyone puts on their common sense hat and understands that applies to strangers. No one expects people who live in the same house to sit six feet apart. It’s why restaurants will make sure tables are six feet apart, but they don’t mandate that the people who are actually eating together sit at separate tables. The point is to minimize contact with new people.

But because Breitbart has the journalistic integrity of a Soviet propaganda newsletter, they’re going to spin this as “see!! Fauci is a hypocrite!”

3 Likes

RolandThompsonGunner . . .

Businesses can mandate social distancing and if you don’t like it, don’t go in.

That’s fine.

Tell that to Dr. Fauci regarding the Nats stadium (a business) too then.

Except you don’t know that he’s actually violating their policy. You’re assuming the two people he’s near are strangers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.