Critics Urge Pope to Lift Birth Control Ban

Which teaching would that be?

Then why have then been adding to it for nearly 2000 years?

What did Jesus say about birth control?

One closely related to the subject at hand: it was once less serious sin for Christians to have abortions up to certain points in the pregnancy. i.e. prior to the quickening, it was believed the fetus did not have a soul. The church now teaches the opposite: that the fetus has a soul from conception, and abortion is the destruction of an actual human at any point in pregnancy. Of course, you’ll find some excuse as to why this wasn’t “official” or “infallable” church teaching. It’s very convenient how that works for Catholics.

Priest could marry, priests couldn’t marry.

Public confession, private confession.

Limbo exists, Limbo doesn’t exist.

The purchase of indulgences was a blind eye turned, the purchase of indulgences was expressly forbidden ( after the split)

The words of absolution didn’t exist, then one day the words of absolution were agreed upon and did exist.

Papal infallibility didn’t exist for 18 centuries or so and then one day it was thus declared.

Marys Assumption, same thing…make it so, and it was.
etc etc etc

We add to nothing. We take what’s already there and come to new and deeper understandings.

Oh no, no one’s added to the doctrine of purgatory. The biblical justification for its existence is so descriptive. :rolleyes:

What would be interesting is if, instead of demanding artificial birth control, we all practiced some SELF control. Why do we have outbreaks of diseases? Because people are sleeping with multiple partners. Why are there so many abortions? Because people are engaging in sexual relations outside of marriage. (That’s not to say that ALL abortions are performed on unwed mothers, but I’d venture to say the vast majority are.)

Humane Vitae isn’t just about ABC. It’s about being chaste–no matter what your situation. Birth control simply makes it more convenient for people to exploit their sexuality, rather than use it as God intended. Why is it that these dissedent groups can’t make that connection?:mad:

I don’t think Limbo was ever an expressed doctrine of the Church.

Many on this list are disciplines not doctrine - like priestly celibacy.

Throughout the life of the Church, many things were believed, but not made into doctrine until later. For instance, theologians were free to debate whether or not Mary was born free of original sin, but there was never any official pronouncement one way or the other - until the 19th century. (This is all from memory - anybody feel free to correct me).

There has never - to my memory - been an instance where the Church had an expressed doctrine - then did a 180.

:confused:

The Bible doesn’t say be chaste in marriage. Add that to the list of things the Catholic Church has changed. Paul said married couples should have sex and have it often.

While I am probably in the minority here, at least with anyone that will post it, I must say that I 100% agree with this. It is ludicrous in this day and age to believe that MARRIED couples, with all the financial burdens of today’s economy, cost of schools, college etc. can just “leave it to faith” that they will be able to support a dozen plus kids. I think it would be GREAT if we all could, but anyone who believes you can, needs to get out from in under that rock they have been living under for some time now.

Times are hard for everyone, and YES, God DOES PROVIDE, however, there is also the very staunch reality of today’s world.

For my wife and I, who are currently expecting another child in October, this will simply have to be the last. There is no way we would be able to support another, short of hitting the lottery. We are a single income family, she stays home to raise the children, our retirement fund is growing, but very, very slowly, and well, to be frank, whether the Catholic Church can understand that or now, I believe that God does.

he must still be searching.:rolleyes:

Gn 38:9-10 God killed Onan for spilling seed [see next]
Dt 25:5-10 - penalty for defying Levirate law: not death
Gn 1:27-28 (Gn 9:1, 35:11) - be fruitful and multiply
Ps 127:3-5 - children gift from God, blessed is a full quiver
1Chr 25:5 - God gave 14 sons & 3 daughters to exalt him
1Chr 26:4-5 - God indeed blessed Obededom with 8 sons
Hos 9:10-17 - Israel is punished with childlessness
Ex 23:25-26 - blessings promised: no miscarrying, barrenness
Lv 21:17-20 - crushed testicles is called a defect & blemish
Dt 23:1 - no one castrated shall enter the assembly
Dt 25:11-12 - punishment for potential damage to genitals
Rom 1:25-27 - natural function of women = childbearing
1Tim 2:11-15 - women saved through the bearing of children
Acts 5:1-11 - Ananias/Saphira slain - withholding part of gift
Gal 6:7 - God is not mocked-accepting pleasure, denying fruit
Mt 21:19, Mk 11:14 - Jesus cursed fruitless fig tree
Gal 5:20, Rv 9:21, 21:8 - Greek pharmakeia = abortifacient potions
1Cor 6:19-20 - body temple of the Holy Spirit, glorify God with body

buffalo, just want to make sure you were aware my last post was not referring to you:)

You have a misunderstanding of what chaste means. To be chaste in marriage does not mean abstinence, it means fidelity.

I admit at first it gave me pause, but then I got it. :slight_smile:

Don’t you love it though when posters come in with both guns blazing only to find later they were shooting blanks.

Birth Control / shooting blanks :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: OH MY SIDE !!!

The Levirate law did not apply to Onan; you’re applying it anachronistically. I don’t know how many times I have had to explain this to Catholics. The Levirate Law applied to those who refused to **marry **their sister-in-law. The penalty was a spit and a slap in the face. Onan **did not refuse **to fulfill his duty. He deceitfully acted like he was fulfilling his duty, as called upon by Judah (NOT the Levirate law, which would be an anachronism), but in fact, took the sex, but didn’t give her the offspring. Onan was punished for his lying/deceit, not the spilling of his seed.

Gn 1:27-28 (Gn 9:1, 35:11) - be fruitful and multiply

I’ve multipled several times. But I’d rather not kill my wife, and I’d also like my other kids to be able to eat.

Ps 127:3-5 - children gift from God, blessed is a full quiver
1Chr 25:5 - God gave 14 sons & 3 daughters to exalt him
1Chr 26:4-5 - God indeed blessed Obededom with 8 sons
Hos 9:10-17 - Israel is punished with childlessness
Ex 23:25-26 - blessings promised: no miscarrying, barrenness
Lv 21:17-20 - crushed testicles is called a defect & blemish
Dt 23:1 - no one castrated shall enter the assembly
Dt 25:11-12 - punishment for potential damage to genitals
Rom 1:25-27 - natural function of women = childbearing

Doesn’t say how many. Is one enough? If a woman only has one kid, is she less saved that someone with 14?

1Tim 2:11-15 - women saved through the bearing of children

Doesn’t say how many.

Acts 5:1-11 - Ananias/Saphira slain - withholding part of gift

The penalty for lying was not death either, but Ananias and Sephira were killed by God for doing so.

Gal 6:7 - God is not mocked-accepting pleasure, denying fruit
Mt 21:19, Mk 11:14 - Jesus cursed fruitless fig tree
Gal 5:20, Rv 9:21, 21:8 - Greek pharmakeia = abortifacient potions

Uh, wrong. pharmakeia has to do with idol worship and false visions, i.e. mind-altering drugs.

1Cor 6:19-20 - body temple of the Holy Spirit, glorify God with body

In all actuality, all the passages you provide would apply equally to NFP. If you really “trusted God”, you wouldn’t use NFP either. What a load of hypocrisy. I “trust God” but I also wear a seatbelt in my car.

It means not having sex unless the intention is to have kids (i.e. unlawful intercourse). Chaste is nearly synonymous with celibacy.

I stand corrected.:rolleyes: I didn’t know all of this constant teaching of the church was overturned. I wish someone would have sent me a bulletin. Please include the other billion or so Catholics so they know too. :banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.