Croatians Vote Against Same-Sex Marriage

abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/croatia-votes-gay-marriages-21060315 :thumbsup:

[quote="Seamus_L, post:1, topic:346814"]
abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/croatia-votes-gay-marriages-21060315 :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:thumbsup::):yup::clapping::bounce:

:thumbsup: for Croatia, but…

Only about 25% people bothered to vote. It shows that nobody takes this very seriously and doesn’t see the danger, even though the majority of the population is still quite traditional when it comes to family values.

I’m not particularly optimistic despite this victory because the European Union has its ways of getting its member states to do ‘the right thing’. :rolleyes:

Good news

There will be a ‘next time,’ and the tide will turn in favor of same-sex marriages. It’s happening rapidly throughout the world.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:3, topic:346814"]
:thumbsup: for Croatia, but...

Only about 25% people bothered to vote. It shows that nobody takes this very seriously and doesn't see the danger, even though the majority of the population is still quite traditional when it comes to family values.

I'm not particularly optimistic despite this victory because the European Union has its ways of getting its member states to do 'the right thing'. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I'm from Croatia. In fact, 40% of people voted. Anyway, everybody knew gay marriage will be banned so many people stayed at home. 65% of the people voted for the ban, if the turnout were higher, I assure you that number would be near 80%. The EU can't do anything, they say it's an internal affair, all they can do is moan.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:3, topic:346814"]
:thumbsup: for Croatia, but...

Only about 25% people bothered to vote. It shows that nobody takes this very seriously and doesn't see the danger, even though the majority of the population is still quite traditional when it comes to family values.

I'm not particularly optimistic despite this victory because the European Union has its ways of getting its member states to do 'the right thing'. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

More and more conservative countries have been joining the EU with Croatia being the latest. Conservatives are currently in the majority in the EU parliament and that's how they were able to temporarily block the Estrela report for example.

En route to the EU are: Moldova (definition of marriage in the constitution), Georgia, Ukraine (definition of marriage in the constitution), etc. So there is hope for the EU when it comes to social issues. :thumbsup:

BTW, the EU's high court had already ruled that the a ban on gay marriage is not a human rights violation.

[quote="kelvinf, post:7, topic:346814"]
More and more conservative countries have been joining the EU with Croatia being the latest. Conservatives are currently in the majority in the EU parliament and that's how they were able to temporarily block the Estrela report for example.

En route to the EU are: Moldova (definition of marriage in the constitution), Georgia, Ukraine (definition of marriage in the constitution), etc. So there is hope for the EU when it comes to social issues. :thumbsup:

BTW, the EU's high court had already ruled that the a ban on gay marriage is not a human rights violation.

[/quote]

Are these Social Conservatives though? Conservative in Europe (and in Canada as Well) doesn't mean what it does in the U.S.

The EU was pretty mad when Hungary defined family as founded on a “mother and father.”

[quote="Rivers23, post:6, topic:346814"]
I'm from Croatia. In fact, 40% of people voted. Anyway, everybody knew gay marriage will be banned so many people stayed at home. 65% of the people voted for the ban, if the turnout were higher, I assure you that number would be near 80%. The EU can't do anything, they say it's an internal affair, all they can do is moan.

[/quote]

I ja isto :-)

I found the stats on the Jutarnji List website, but later on found something else on BBC. (I think they said 37%).

I'm amazed at the number of people who voted for gay marriage. I've been away for several years now and have not been aware of how rapidly things changed in this respect.

You’re right, but when it comes to Central & Eastern European countries, I think so; especially when it comes to traditional family values.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.