Crosier Staff at Mass

Our Bishop always uses his Crosier at Mass. This week a Cardinal was a guest in our diocese. The Cardinal carried a Crosiers and our Bishop did not? Reason?

Is it as simple as the Cardinal was the main celebrant and Bishop was con- celebrant?

I think because cardinals have universal allowance to celebrate Pontifical Mass at the Throne, or whatever that is called in the OF. Other prelates wearing pontificals make way for him, even though the bishop of the place retains authority in the diocese, of course.

If Bishop ___ came to a random diocese not his own, he would not use a crosier nor would he sit in the throne. But cardinals can use both wherever they are, except in Rome. I think.

Only the principle celebrant will carry the crosier. The other bishops will not carry a crosier, and will wear a simple white mitre (mitra simplex).

[quote="L_Marshall, post:3, topic:343779"]
Only the principle celebrant will carry the crosier. The other bishops will not carry a crosier, and will wear a simple white mitre (mitra simplex).

[/quote]

That's not true. While that might happen at some Masses, it's certainly not a requirement.

This actually just happened at our cathedral last weekend, when Jean-Louis Cardinal Tauran came for the archdiocese's centennial celebrations. I wondered why His Eminence was carrying His Excellency's crosier, and assumed it was due to the former being the principal celebrant. (Never having served as bishop himself, I imagine Cardinal Tauran does not have a crosier...unless titular [arch]bishops have crosiers as well.)

[quote="UpUpAndAway, post:5, topic:343779"]
This actually just happened at our cathedral last weekend, when Jean-Louis Cardinal Tauran came for the archdiocese's centennial celebrations. I wondered why His Eminence was carrying His Excellency's crosier, and assumed it was due to the former being the principal celebrant. (Never having served as bishop himself, I imagine Cardinal Tauran does not have a crosier...unless titular [arch]bishops have crosiers as well.)

[/quote]

When Curial or non-Ordinary bishops are ordained, they all receive the Pontificals traditional to all bishops: the ring, the crosier, and the mitre. (They also receive the Gospels, but so do deacons; however, the words used to consign the Gospels to bishops are different than those used to consign them to deacons.) Whether they have their own crosiers is probably a preference since they are likely not to use them much, but they do receive them.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:343779"]
When Curial or non-Ordinary bishops are ordained, they all receive the Pontificals traditional to all bishops: the ring, the crosier, and the mitre. (They also receive the Gospels, but so do deacons; however, the words used to consign the Gospels to bishops are different than those used to consign them to deacons.) Whether they have their own crosiers is probably a preference since they are likely not to use them much, but they do receive them.

[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. I'll go to sleep less stupid tonight. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.