Cross-posted from Moral Theology; financial mercies/blessings

How do you pray for financial mercies? What about praying for financial blessings? Is this contrary to the way, the truth and the life? I am not in desperate circumstances but constantly on edge awaiting alimony each month, and very uncertain as to my future. My disability pay, which has been a mainstay for over 25 years, is being reviewed, and I would have a hard time documenting my disability in my new location where I am still trying, in the grips of much trouble with my physical and mental condition, to get established. I was under my husband’s care and provenance for 22 years and don’t know anything at all about how to manage money, let alone how to get it, I worked only briefly before the onset of a catastrophic disability at a young age.

I made myself very useful to people with the skills I still had but have nothing to show for it, even on a resume for future work–chronic mental patients, as I was deemed, while losing their standing in the community remain extremely provenant to those who bill them for their care and those who manipulate them for their needs.

Trying to figure this.

(My major disability is actually physical; I got lost in the MH system because it was so obscure nobody knew what was wrong. Also, early in these circumstances I took a vow of poverty not knowing anything about the realities of living as I was so young, and don’t know how to view this now.)

Please Lord help tenderly new with these financial worries. Please grant her what will be needed to be safe and secure. Please ease the daily worries of financial issues by sending the Holy Spirit to help her let go of her worries and to have the faith to offer them to You Lord. Amen.

Be At Peace
~
By Saint Francis de Sales

Do not look forward in fear to the changes in life;
rather, look to them with full hope that as they arise,
God, whose very own you are,
will lead you safely through all things;
and when you cannot stand it,
God will carry you in His arms.

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;
the same understanding Father who cares for
you today will take care of you then and every day.

He will either shield you from suffering
or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace,
and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

You pray for a financial blessing just as you would pray for any other blessing. Nothing special, but be open to God’s divine will: He may not give you the grace in the exact way that you wanted.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven,
hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

I think NeedsMercy answers your question about how to pray for financial blessings. Is it contrary to the way, truth and the life to desire them, though? I think it is contrary to love money, as Jesus says. But, I can think of no evidence in the Bible at least that says desiring financial blessing is contrary. In the Old Testament at any rate, a motivation for the Israelites to obey God’s commands was in order to be financially blessed (or “prosperous”)–see Deut. 28. Given your vow of poverty, though, is it contrary to pray for financial blessings? I don’t think so, because a vow of poverty doesn’t mean you can’t pay for food, clothing or bills, but rather you don’t spend your money on non-necessities like makeup and TV (I think you’d have to ask a more knowlegable person like a priest in discerning what counts as a non-necessity, though). As for how to view your vow, i think that the Bible teaches that we are bound to keep our vows no matter how unpleasant it may be to us (Judges 11).

In addition, because you posted this in the prayer intentions section, I will pray for you!

FOR THE SAKE of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

I just said a prayer for you. God bless you.

Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

:crossrc:

Praying.

Thank you, I am still facing financial hardship but feel much more at peace about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.