"Crossing Over" w/ the Rosary?

johnedward.net/PracticalPraying.htm
Remember John Edward who had that TV show about “crossing over” and he talked to peoples dead dear ones? Crossing Over was the name of the show, right? He is off TV and has written a book about praying the rosary. Does anyone know what’s up w/ this? Was there a conversion or is it part of his gimmicks?

[quote=MJE]johnedward.net/PracticalPraying.htm
Remember John Edward who had that TV show about “crossing over” and he talked to peoples dead dear ones? Crossing Over was the name of the show, right? He is off TV and has written a book about praying the rosary. Does anyone know what’s up w/ this? Was there a conversion or is it part of his gimmicks?
[/quote]

John Edward was born a Catholic and he talks about this and his family in his first book. I know he has a devotion to the rosary because I believe it was in one of his books also.

I saw this book was out and I am curious about it too. Not enought to spend money on it when there are so many awesome books out there by authors who I know have a solid Catholic faith. If the book were in the library, I would read it.

I did watch his show from time to time when I had cable access - a relative of mine liked it and talked aobut it so I was curious. I noticed that his visions did not seem to add non-Catholic thought to anyone for whom he gave his visions (he would “sse” relatives of audience members and tell them thing they said things along the lines of:“Remember how you used to joke about…?”). His visions always reassured the people that their beloved dead were still “present” with them in some way. Also occasionally Edward would convey a dead person’s thanks that a Mass had been said for them.

It was interesting. I watched it openminded, but also at arms length, as it seemed to come close to our Church’s warnings against communicatiing with the dead. He didn’t really call them - he only reported if they were there. But its a fine line.

If one had no hope and faith in the life hereafter, Johnathan Edward’s visions would be a most delicious crumb. But we Catholics have the whole cake!

I know a dear Mother who lost her 21 yr old son to Fanconi Anemia 2 yrs ago and she has Catholic roots and paid him $$$$$lots to have him tell her he was with Uncle Joe and Aunt Mabel. Gimmick.

[quote="mary_bobo, post:2, topic:40009"]
John Edward was born a Catholic and he talks about this and his family in his first book. I know he has a devotion to the rosary because I believe it was in one of his books also.

[/quote]

natcath.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2006a/020306/020306w.php

Read the article above.
Distilling alot of the hooey out , John Edward's publisher asked him to write a book on the Rosary --Not his idea!
Further he refused to promote the book by travelling and appearing in bookstores and on TV.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward
Edward was raised Roman Catholic. Although Edward later stopped practicing that faith, he has said he never stopped feeling connected to God and is still closely connected to his Catholic roots.

By the way, John Edward refers to his occupation as 'psychic medium'
..Forbidden by the Bible and Catholic Faith.

There are alot of weakly informed or ignorant catholics who are influenced by this guy.

Read the article above.
Distilling alot of the hooey out , John Edward’s publisher asked him to write a book on the Rosary --Not his idea!
Further he refused to promote the book by travelling and appearing in bookstores and on TV.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward
Edward was raised Roman Catholic. Although Edward later stopped practicing that faith, he has said he never stopped feeling connected to God and is still closely connected to his Catholic roots.

Additionally John Edward describes himself in his publications as a ‘psychic’ and/or ‘medium’

I used to watch his show. I did not find him to be a gimmick. He wasn't telling people's future, he told them things from their past. I know people don't believe it and say that they must have told him things, but some of the things he came out with were just too minute for anyone to have even consider asking about before hand so that he could say it later.

He always used to say that though not everyone had someone come through, that there was always a message for everyone. When you see someone hear that their deceased parent "was there" when they got married because of some minute detail John could not have known, or a relative is told about some odd habit that their loved one was talking about, it's hard to dismiss what he does as a gimmick. Also easy to feel that your deceased relatives are with you.

MJE, you have to wonder what your friend was expecting to hear when she paid all that money. He may have told her her son was with Uncle Joe and Aunt Mabel, but isn't that what she wanted to know? Wasn't it the reassurance that her loved ones are still around her even after they die?

Okay, so call me a weakly formed or ignorant Catholic if it makes you feel better.

[quote="rbiel, post:6, topic:40009"]

Read the article above.
Distilling alot of the hooey out , John Edward's publisher asked him to write a book on the Rosary --Not his idea!

[/quote]

Did we read the same article? :shrug: Yes, please DO read this. What you said in your post about this article is very misleading. He has been praying the rosary since his teens.He came up with the book independently but at the same time as his publisher. He did not want to promote the book because he said it was something people needed to find on their own. He did not refuse to promote it as you speculate.

[quote="Irishmom2, post:7, topic:40009"]
I used to watch his show. I did not find him to be a gimmick. He wasn't telling people's future, he told them things from their past. I know people don't believe it and say that they must have told him things, but some of the things he came out with were just too minute for anyone to have even consider asking about before hand so that he could say it later.

[/quote]

The problem in this thread is that you have Catholics who have never been exposed to the 'true gifts of the Church and the Holy Spirit' which are used for the Church and the building up of the Church, PONTIFICATING on these things they really know nothing about. This is essentially the shortcoming of the Catholic.com forums. Too many people sharing opinions without real knowledge.

Time and time again, gifts that are misused, not used for building up the Church and its members, are taken away. Charging money or making profit, as in engaging in a psychic business, are not signs of gifts from God.

Being a member of the Charismatic Renewal and seeing countless priests blessed with spiritual gifts and also lay people(Catholics) who have these gifts also. One thing in common with all these things is that God always prepares the people he is going to use. He spiritually prepares them before they are used. He doesnt use 'spiritual but not religious' people. He uses his most devout people, not slackers, not people who say they used to be Catholic.

Nor does the Spirit/God have to ask us if there is someone whose name starts with a 'M'.
Nor does TV shows get produced where 8 hours of taping for each segment is reduced to 1 hour so that the editing process takes out 'ooops' moments and the countless guesses and dead ends that go nowhere. Nor do gifted people, send out associates posing as audience members with tape recorders chatting up the people in line, or sit next to the audience, posing again, trying to find out things about them to be used as part of the show. Even at times, when things seem to be too real to be true, they are just part of a clever deception or at worst things within the realm of the devil. As the Bible and catechism states you are not to talk talk or conjure up the dead. No divination. And since John Edwards does state his profession as 'psychic' and 'medium' , he is not part of the Catholic Church and his stuff is to be avoided as per our faith.

Try attending a healing mass or many healing masses where gifted priests are at, if you want to see the real deal. Attend Church prayer groups wherethe gifted laity congregate. God sends his gifted souls to these prayer groups to help prepare others.

csicop.org/si/show/john_edward_hustling_the_bereaved/

“Cold Reading”

By contrast, today’s spirits-whom John Edward and his fellow mediums supposedly contact-seem to have poor memories and difficulty communicating. For example, in one of his on-air séances (on Larry King Live, June 19, 1998), Edward said: “I feel like there’s a J- or G-sounding name attached to this.” He also perceived “Linda or Lindy or Leslie; who’s this L name?” Again, he got a “Maggie or Margie, or some M-G-sounding name,” and yet again heard from “either Ellen or Helen, or Eleanore-it’s like an Ellen-sounding name.” Gone is the clear-speaking eloquence of yore; the dead now seem to mumble.

The spirits also seemingly communicate to Edward et al. as if they were engaging in pantomime. As Edward said of one alleged spirit communicant, in a Dateline “He’s pointing to his head; something had to affect the mind or the head, from what he’s showing me.” No longer, apparently, can the dead speak in flowing Victorian sentences, but instead are reduced to gestures, as if playing a game of charades.

One suspects, of course, that it is not the imagined spirits who have changed but rather the approach today’s mediums have chosen to employ. It is, indeed, a shrewd technique known as “cold reading"-so named because the subject walks in “cold"; that is, the medium lacks advance information about the person (Gresham 1953). It is an artful method of gleaning information from the sitter, then feeding it back as mystical revelation.

The “psychic” can obtain clues by observing dress and body language (noting expressions that indicate when one is on or off track), asking questions (which if correct will appear as “hits” but otherwise will seem innocent queries), and inviting the subject to interpret the vague statements offered. For example, nearly anyone can respond to the mention of a common object (like a ring or watch) with a personal recollection that can seem to transform the mention into a hit. (For more on cold reading see Gresham 1953; Hyman 1977; Nickell 2000.)

It should not be surprising that Edward is skilled at cold reading, an old fortunetelling technique. His mother was a “psychic junkie” who threw fortunetelling “house parties,” one of the alleged clairvoyants advising the then-fifteen-year-old that he had “wonderful psychic abilities.” He began doing card readings for friends and family, then progressed to psychic fairs where he soon learned that names and other “validating information” sometimes applied to the dead rather than the living. Eventually he changed his billing from “psychic” to “psychic medium” (Edward 1999). The revised approach set him on the road to stardom. In addition to his TV show, he now commands hundreds of dollars for a private reading and is booked two years in advance (Mui 2001).

and much more on warm reading and hot readings at the above posted link.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.