Crossword artwork filled in by German woman in museum

BBC News:

Crossword artwork filled in by German woman in museum

A 91-year-old woman is under investigation in Germany after filling in blank spaces on a crossword-themed artwork in a museum.“Reading-work-piece” is a 1965 piece by avant garde artist Arthur Koepcke and features the phrase “insert words”.
The woman began writing on it using a ballpoint pen during a visit by senior citizens to Nuremberg’s Neues Museum.
Museum officials say they believe the work can be restored and said the woman was reported for insurance reasons.

The woman is being investigated for damage to property, although there is no suggestion of any malicious intent.
The pensioner told police she understood the English-language instruction on the artwork to insert words and took it as an invitation to fill in answers to the clues, Suddeutsche Zeitung reported.

She added that this should not have come as a surprise to the museum as it had not put up a notice instructing visitors not to write on the piece, the newspaper said.
Gerlinde Knopp, who was leading the excursion, said the museum was also full of interactive art, making it easy to lose sight of what one could and could not do there.

I love it!

There was an occasion when a genitor woman took a garbage installation in the museum for a real garbage and threw it away. :smiley:

Somebody shoulda seen that comin’ ! :slight_smile:

Wasn’t this woman being avant garde in her own right? She was only creating new art out of old art. I wonder if Arthur Koepcke might not have gotten a kick out of this at any rate.

ChadS

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The museum should have anticipated this by putting a plastic shield over the piece. I mean, it’s not like it’s that hard to imagine this happening, or to prevent it.

ICXC NIKI

It’s a 1965 piece. How long has it been in the museum without incident?

Museums regularly rotate their exhibits, taking pieces out of storage and displaying them for a time, and then putting them back into storage and displaying other pieces. I doubt very much this particular piece has been on display continuously for over 50 years. It’s not that important a piece to grant it that sort of valuable wall space.

At the Denver Art Museum, they had an exhibit of sacred folk art from the southwestern US and Mexico. They had displayed the artwork in a little makeshift “chapel” including a hand-carved pew, some statues, etc.

When visiting the museum with some Sisters, the docent pointed to a statue of St Isidore the Farmer there and explained that the hat on the statue’s head was not part of the original display. An elderly Hispanic woman had come to the museum several times, sitting in the pew (which was allowed) for short periods of time. One day, she put a homemade straw hat on St Isidore’s statue – “because a farmer needs a hat.”

The museum left the hat as part of the display. :thumbsup: :smiley:

This just made my day. God bless little old ladies.

That’s just so funny! :smiley:

So the museum put up this

“shave and a haircut …”

and it was an older lady was the one who provided the " … two BITS!"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJUBoUAGOvhdVTukD0Vy4WLmc11-dy5COYTIdZtd8w5QBxxMh6uVInVLg

youtube.com/watch?v=6ds6w7SkHyw < Roger Rabbit succumbs to that irresistible temptation.

Funniest thing to hit the museum circuit since …

Elderly woman destroys 19th-century fresco with DIY restoration

telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/9491391/Elderly-woman-destroys-19th-century-fresco-with-DIY-restoration.html

Ecce Homo by 19th-century painter Elías García Martínez on the walls of the church of Santuario de Misericordia Photo: gawker.com

Destroys or improves? What do you DO with an incomplete crossword puzzle when you’ve GOT a writing utensil and time on your hands?

As per the long neglected fresco … who can deny that the clothes on Jesus look much better … and hey … people of a certain age were greatly influenced by

Pablo Picasso

and Salvador Dali

I prefer Dali’s four-dimensional crucifix :slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Most people don’t really get modern art
Kudos to the old lady for really getting what that art piece was all about.:thumbsup:

What would be even more ironic is if anyone has ever been arrested for not paying for Abby Hoffman’s book

Just wait now for somebody to answer the call of nature at Duchamp’s “Fountain”.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.