Crowns in heaven?

I was talking to my friend who I think is Baptist, though she wont admit to any denomination, she just keeps repeating that she is based on the four pillars of faith. I think she is Baptist as there are always fliers for the Baptist Church at her work.
(plus Jack Chick tracts)

Here is her four pillars…
Jesus
God
The Holy Spirit
The Bible
(by the way I agreed to her four pillars just in a different way in stating that Jesus left us a Church)

Her friend who I have seen talking with her says she is a Messianic so I am still unsure.

So there is the background and here is my question as I was discussing the faith with her, in an effort to at the very least discourage her from distributing Chick tracts at work I asked her if sins matter.
She is a firm believer in OSAS (once saved always saved) and says that we will continue to sin after we have been saved, but we are discouraged from sinning.

She essentially says that when we do go we are awarded gold crowns in heaven and if we do bad they are taken away.
I was so blown away by this I wasn’t sure on what to say, so I said I would get back to her on this.

What do I say to that? It sounds pretty far out in left field, but I don’t want to offend.

God Bless
Scylla

Although my pastor never taught this, I have heard something similar. I don’t know if there are any bible verses that are used to back this belief up.

My next door neighbor very tentivily asked me about purgatory.(I guess she was afraid that I would get offended) I explained, to the best of my ability, what purgatory was. I was prepared for one of those discussion that sometimes occur on these forums. No, she seemed relieved. She told me that her church taught that heaven had different levels and that purgatory sounded like one of the levels. I didn’t really know how I should respond, so I just let it go.

I think that although OSAS sounds good in theory, it is actually becomes an unfair doctrine to the average lay Protestant. Imagine that you have worked your whole life to be a good Christian, you’ve resisted temptation and really toed the line. Your brother got saved at eight and grew up to become a cursing, smoking, drinking, woman chasing hellion. Both of you get the same reward, after all your work can’t help you. Maybe that is why some believe in different levels of heaven. It is more comforting to those who are making an honest effort to be good.

Well I decided to look into it and came across a site I am familiar with. Some of my friends from Calvary Chapel hang out at this site, though I am not sure if Calvary Chapel teaches this or not.

I will have to ask the Pastor next time I get a chance.

raptureready.com/faq/faq75.html

This sounds kinda different to me…What do you think about this?

Scylla

[quote=scylla]Well I decided to look into it and came across a site I am familiar with. Some of my friends from Calvary Chapel hang out at this site, though I am not sure if Calvary Chapel teaches this or not.

I will have to ask the Pastor next time I get a chance.

raptureready.com/faq/faq75.html

This sounds kinda different to me…What do you think about this?

Scylla
[/quote]

And yet, they get so mad when they see this:hmmm: :
http://www.truecatholic.org/pix/glory5.jpg

See Matthew 20:1-16

I was over at my protestant friends house and was reading a protestant magazine, it had an article about four crowns in heaven. One for winning souls, one for staying true to the faith in times of trail, and I cant remember the other two. It was the first time I ever heard about these crowns, I have been meaning to start a thread on it but was beat to it.

[quote=scylla]I was talking to my friend who I think is Baptist, though she wont admit to any denomination, she just keeps repeating that she is based on the four pillars of faith. I think she is Baptist as there are always fliers for the Baptist Church at her work.
(plus Jack Chick tracts)

Here is her four pillars…
Jesus
God
The Holy Spirit
The Bible
(by the way I agreed to her four pillars just in a different way in stating that Jesus left us a Church)

Her friend who I have seen talking with her says she is a Messianic so I am still unsure.

So there is the background and here is my question as I was discussing the faith with her, in an effort to at the very least discourage her from distributing Chick tracts at work I asked her if sins matter.
She is a firm believer in OSAS (once saved always saved) and says that we will continue to sin after we have been saved, but we are discouraged from sinning.

She essentially says that when we do go we are awarded gold crowns in heaven and if we do bad they are taken away.
I was so blown away by this I wasn’t sure on what to say, so I said I would get back to her on this.

What do I say to that? It sounds pretty far out in left field, but I don’t want to offend.

God Bless
Scylla
[/quote]

I don’t know about crowns. A baseball cap would be fine with me… I keep seeing this thread and thinking it says “Crows in heaven?” I would have to give that related question some thought, but it seems pretty plausible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.