crucified Jews

Are there any Jews out there who can answer this question for me?

In the time of Jesus , were crucified Jews ( except Jesus) left on the cross to rot after they died. In Roman times the dead were left to rot on the cross and then taken down and thrown in a common grave.

I understand that modern Jews are to be buried by sun down on the day of expiration So does anyone know whether in Jesus time these Jews (except Jesus) when dead were taken down and buried the same day they died.

Maybe the ones who had families were allowed to be taken down and the others thrown into a common grave after they rotted on the cross?

Thanks for your help

Scroll down to "
The Cross as an Instrument of Punishment"

newadvent.org/cathen/04517a.htm

The Romans respected some local customs when it suited their needs (aka to prevent riots, protests, etc).

So they typically broke the legs to make sure they died before sundown, and then cut them down and threw them in a common pit.

Thank you both. That was what I was looking for.

I’m not Jewish, so I’ll try to use reliable sources.

I don’t think the Romans cared. Under Jewish authority, some of the Law would’ve been violated:

A Jewish court could not have passed a sentence of death by crucifixion without violating the Jewish law. The Roman penal code recognized this cruel penalty from remote times. It may have developed out of the primitive custom of “hanging” on the “arbor infelix,” which was dedicated to the gods of the nether world. Seneca (4 BC - AD 65) still calls the cross “infelix lignum.” Trees were often used for crucifying convicts. Originally only slaves were crucified; hence “death on the cross” and “supplicium servile” were used indiscriminately… [Source]

But it looks like Jewish Romans (almost one tenth, 1/10, of the Roman Empire was Jewish) could not have been crucified, even though St. Paul was:

Later, provincial freedmen of obscure station were added to the class liable to this sentence. Roman citizens were exempt under all circumstances…

Under the legal Roman penal code, not the Jewish Law, the body was typically left to hang for a considerable amount of time (Jesus’ case was specifically in keeping with Jewish law, but most cases were not):

Contrary to the Roman practise of leaving the body on the cross, that of Jesus was removed and buried,** the latter act in keeping with Jewish law and custom. **These exceptions, however, exhaust the incidents in the crucifixion of Jesus that might point to a participation therein, and a regulation thereof, by Jews or Jewish law. The mode and manner of Jesus’ death undoubtedly point to Roman customs and laws as the directive power.

All quotes come from this Jewish source. I hope this helped.

I had to look that up. Obviously, St. Peter was crucified in Rome, but I wasn’t mixing up St. Paul’s martyrdom with his. I mixed up the idea that St. Paul escaped crucifixion because he was a citizen:

Because he was a Roman citizen, he received a different punishment than some other criminals of the time (who were often crucified), and was** beheaded between 66-68 AD** at Aquae Salviae, which is now known as Tre Fontane. [Source]

I messed up here. Sorry! :wink:

Yes, because he was a Roman citizen, Paul received the “quicker” death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.