Crucifix at the Altar

Do you have a crucifix above the altar at your parish?? I know this may be a silly question, but some parishes…

[quote=jlw]Do you have a crucifix above the altar at your parish?? I know this may be a silly question, but some parishes…
[/quote]

We have a Crucifix above our altar

What is a “Touchdown Jesus” Cross?

I think we have a normal Crrucifix/Cross but now I don’t know :o

[quote=awalt]What is a “Touchdown Jesus” Cross?

[/quote]

It’s the image of the Risen Christ. They can be very beautiful, but really the image of the Crucified Christ is most appropriate at the Altar where His Sacrifice is perpetuated.

By touchdown, do you mean the risen Lord crosses?

Our Crucifix is near the Altar. It is in a position that makes it easy for those so inclined to pray and touch the feet of Jesus.

Maggie

We have an empty cross only because the name of the parish is “Holy Cross”.

Because of the way the sanctuary is laid out with pews around and to the back for all the Franciscans, we do not have a permanent Crucifix above the altar; we do how ever have a Crucifix in the stained glass window above the altar and an 8’ crucifix suspended from the ceiling that was part of the original rood screen and during Mass the processional Crucifix is placed behind the altar.

Yours in the Spirit
Pious

We have a crucifix on the wall above the altar, a very large one that is beautifully lit. In my opinion, the holier parishes are the ones with the crucifix above the altar. The parishes that do not have it this way do not feel very Catholic to me, they actually have a Protestant feel to them, and it bothers me. I have seen that in some newer parishes, and I don’t like it! I like the very large traditional Christ on the Cross crucifixes, up above and behind the altar!

[quote=JKirkLVNV]It’s the image of the Risen Christ. They can be very beautiful, but really the image of the Crucified Christ is most appropriate at the Altar where His Sacrifice is perpetuated.
[/quote]

A Crucifix, an image of the crucified Christ, is what isREQUIRED to be on or near the altar during the Sacrifice of the Mass.

[quote=Timidity]We have an empty cross only because the name of the parish is “Holy Cross”.
[/quote]

That empty cross does not meet the demands of the GIRM…

Every sanctuary must have a cross with the corpus still on it!!! we must constantly be reminded of what our Lord did for our sakes. Whenever i see a “naked” cross, it reminds me of a simple intrument of torture and death, but with the corpus intact on it, it serves as sign of Life. For it is were we were truly had regained our sipirtual grace and new life. That is the point in which the “new adam” created our new, redeemed life. Get Jesus back on that cross!!! He did it for you!!!

[quote=Nota Bene]That empty cross does not meet the demands of the GIRM…
[/quote]

Another sign that pastors can’t spend the money? OR…???

[quote=jlw]Do you have a crucifix above the altar at your parish?? I know this may be a silly question, but some parishes…
[/quote]

My home parish has a small crucifix to the side of the altar but still in the sacturary. It is more of a processional crucifix but it doesn’t process or recess normally. There is a large beautiful Crucifix on the back wall. While this sounds odd, the church was built so that the whole wall behind the altar is a window. There were some progressive types in place when it was built about 10 years ago.

Another chuch near me has the most disturbing scene I have ever encountered. A huge (probably 3 or 4 times life size) Touchdown Jesus (sorry) hangs over the main altar without any cross at all. In the chapel, there is no cross but Christ’s body is nailed to the wall. It is quite unnerving and brings me to tears.

[quote=Nota Bene]That empty cross does not meet the demands of the GIRM…
[/quote]

So? This poll question didn’t ask “where is the cross with the image of Christ crucified as required by the GIRM?” If it was, I would have stated where that crucifix is. I was attempting to stay on-topic.

Unlike the litugical committees that the people here seem to be cursed with, ours views part of its mission as making sure we’re in compliace with the GIRM.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]A Crucifix, an image of the crucified Christ, is what isREQUIRED to be on or near the altar during the Sacrifice of the Mass.
[/quote]

Sorry, Bro. Rich, I didn’t state it forcefully enough!

the original altar, in white marble, has a white marble crucifix above the tabernacle, with a dove and shell above it (church built 80 yrs ago), evidently when the new altar facing the people was installed in the 60s (wood) a matching crucifix in wood with a corpus of a lighter wood was hung above it from the rafters with chains. The processional cross must have been bought in the 70s, it is a risen Christ draped in the Shroud, brass.

The Church I was at last weekend for a baptism has a 5m Touch down Jesus… It’s one of those built in 1973 churches, not anyone’s fault… just period design and architecture.

Since moving to Scranton, I have visited a number of parishes and have seen a big variation here.

First, at the Cathedral, there is no fixed crusifix. They do use the one for the procession in the sancutary during Mass though.:confused:

As for the other I have visited, I have seen everything from the one of the risen Lord with out the cross to the crusified Lord. I chose the one with the crusified Lord.

In my hometown parish, they recently did a complete renovation of the church. They moved both the ctusifix and tabernacle to the one side of the altar. The crusifix is where the statue of the Blessed Virgin was and the Tabernacle is in a side alcove (still visible) :banghead:

PF

I’m part of a military parish, and we have to share our chapel with other groups, so it kind of depends which one and the time of the week you are there…

there is always a crucifix there, it just varies on the size and location…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.