Crucifix

Can someone show me where in Canon Law or the Catechism it says that each parish church must have a fixed crucifix near the altar? I know it is in there somewhere and I want to send it to my local parish so they can permanently put up the crucifix that they currently reserve only for Lent.

[quote=Nick]Can someone show me where in Canon Law or the Catechism it says that each parish church must have a fixed crucifix near the altar? I know it is in there somewhere and I want to send it to my local parish so they can permanently put up the crucifix that they currently reserve only for Lent.
[/quote]

I don’t know that there is a requirement for a “fixed” crucifix.
There is a requirement for a crucifix near or on the altar during the celebration of the Mass. (GIRM) It does not say “fixed”.

It’s in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM): The cross used at the altar should have the image of the crucified Lord on it. (GIRM 117, 122, 308)

Section 308:
There is also to be a cross, with the figure of Christ crucified upon it, either on the altar or near it, where it is clearly visible to the assembled congregation. It is appropriate that such a cross, which calls to mind for the faithful the saving Passion of the Lord, remain near the altar even outside of liturgical celebrations.

Section 117:
The altar is to be covered with at least one white cloth. In addition, on or next to the altar are to be placed candlesticks with lighted candles: at least two in any celebration, or even four or six, especially for a Sunday Mass or a holy day of obligation. If the Diocesan Bishop celebrates, then seven candles should be used. Also on or close to the altar, there is to be a cross with a figure of Christ crucified. The candles and the cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified may also be carried in the Entrance Procession. On the altar itself may be placed the Book of the Gospels, distinct from the book of other readings, unless it is carried in the Entrance Procession.

Section 122.
On reaching the altar, the priest and ministers make a profound bow.

The cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified and perhaps carried in procession may be placed next to the altar to serve as the altar cross, in which case it ought to be the only cross used; otherwise it is put away in a dignified place. In addition, the candlesticks are placed on the altar or near it. It is a praiseworthy practice that the Book of the Gospels be placed upon the altar.

These are changes to the old GIRM, so when you address this topic do it from a “Hey, this is new so perhaps you don’t know about it” angle. And remember, BE RESPECTFUL!!

God Bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.