Crucifixion and young children

How do you explain the crucifix and crucifixion to very young children--preschool age. My sister explained it to my niece and ended up with: Here's what she knows. Hammers hit nails. Guns kill people. Jesus has no shirt. Maybe that's enough for a 4 year old? I'm not a parent, so I have no idea, but I was like, "How 'bout, Jesus loves you so much He died for you." Something none of us should ever get tired of hearing, no matter how old (or young) we are. Anyway, thought I'd ask parents. Your thoughts?

[quote="toknowservelove, post:1, topic:177170"]
How do you explain the crucifix and crucifixion to very young children--preschool age. My sister explained it to my niece and ended up with: Here's what she knows. Hammers hit nails. Guns kill people. Jesus has no shirt. Maybe that's enough for a 4 year old? I'm not a parent, so I have no idea, but I was like, "How 'bout, Jesus loves you so much He died for you." Something none of us should ever get tired of hearing, no matter how old (or young) we are. Anyway, thought I'd ask parents. Your thoughts?

[/quote]

Simply by telling the story of Jesus' life, death and resurrection (over and over and over again). We use children's versions of Stations of the Cross and the bible so that the language is accesible. Every week we see Jesus on the Cross above the altar at Mass and we talk about Jesus sacrifice of his life for the bad things we choose to do and how much he loves us. I don't know, it's a natural conversation at the time but hard to explain ;)

When I was very little I had a very simplistic childrens bible that gave a very vague and "glossed over" description of the crucifixion. It was something to the effect of "they beat Jesus then put his body on a cross." And then it talked about how He put His spirit in Gods hands. I would talk about it like that if it were me, just keep it very general. Kind of like how they suggest you answer if they ask you were babies come from at a young age, just say something like, "Mommy and Daddy work together to make a baby."

I wish I could give a reaaally good response to this, but I'm no parent. It's an important reminder that Jesus died because he loved her so much that anything she'll ever do is forgiven and her trust can always be with God. And that the dedication of Jesus' love should be up held in her life through her good behavior and charitable love.

Of course, I'd say it in a way that a four-year-old could understand. :o

I think the problem was that she was trying to explain the act of crucifixion rather than on the meaning of the crucifix. But I don't know what the original question from my niece was. I'll have to have an actual conversation with her rather than a 450 characters or less facebook status update!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.