Crucifixion

When was crucifixion last used as a means of execution?

Also, I just read my second book by Anne Catherine Emerich. She stated in one of her visions that the horizontal part of the crucifix was not perpendicular to the vertical part, but more like a v, anyone know anything about this?

How heavy do you suppose the crucifix that Jesus carried was?

Finally, is it true that Jesus is depicted differently on the cross in some countries? For example, I thought I heard once that in Mexico, Jesus is depicted much more “beaten and bloody” than on a typical cross found in the U.S. If this is true, why the difference in depiction?

Without having researched the subject specifically, I do recall that, while crucifixion was abolished as a means of capital punishment in the Western Roman Empire in the late 4th century, many of the Japanese martyrs (17th century) were crucified. I would suspect that crucifixion has survived even into our own century in many places as a means of anti-Christian persecution.

The visions of Emmerich are to be regarded as symbolic mystical experiences, not as history. Many mystics throughout Church history have had crucifixion visions - most of them contradict one another in the details…

The crossbar, or patibulum, of the cross was most often the only part of the cross carried by the condemned - which is not to say that Jesus could not have carried an entire cross; it would have been highly unusual, is all. The typical patibulum alone weighed ca. 110 pounds. I played Jesus in a Passion play a long time ago, and had to carry an entire cross just across a stage. It is not something I would want to do again anytime soon!] :frowning:

I have read at least one recent news report (within the last year) where Muslim bandits attempted to crucify a Christian boy in Africa. I say attempted, because the boy survived.

[quote=anonymoususer]When was crucifixion last used as a means of execution?

Also, I just read my second book by Anne Catherine Emerich. She stated in one of her visions that the horizontal part of the crucifix was not perpendicular to the vertical part, but more like a v, anyone know anything about this?

Finally, is it true that Jesus is depicted differently on the cross in some countries? For example, I thought I heard once that in Mexico, Jesus is depicted much more “beaten and bloody” than on a typical cross found in the U.S. If this is true, why the difference in depiction?
[/quote]

Crucifixion was banned by the Roman Empire in the fourth century.

The cross used in crucifixion had two parts, the crossbeam and the stipe. The stipe was in the ground already and the condemned carried only the crossbeam on both shoulders.

The difference in depiction is simply the artist’s personal rendition. Similarly Mel Gibson’s film “The Passion of the Christ” was his artistical depiction of the Passion along with that of a Saint, coincidentally, Anne Catherine Emerich.

Ken

I can only speak of my own experiences. I was in the US Navy in 1971 and spent a month in Andalucia in Spain (extremee southwestern Spain). The crucifixes I saw in local churches, etc. reflected Mel Gibson’s Passion. Our crucifixes in the US are quite sanitized by comparison.

[quote=anonymoususer]When was crucifixion last used as a means of execution?

[/quote]

Forgive me for being pedantic but Jesus carried a cross and not a crucifix.

:thumbsup: That’s a hoot, thistle!
(I can’t believe I missed that one…)

But it makes me think: in a sense, it really WAS a “crucifix” Jesus carried.

For affixed to that Cross was the Body of the Sins of the World…

why the difference in depiction? great answers so far, thanks!

[quote=kleary]Crucifixion was banned by the Roman Empire in the fourth century.

The cross used in crucifixion had two parts, the crossbeam and the stipe. The stipe was in the ground already and the condemned carried only the crossbeam on both shoulders.

The difference in depiction is simply the artist’s personal rendition. Similarly Mel Gibson’s film “The Passion of the Christ” was his artistical depiction of the Passion along with that of a Saint, coincidentally, Anne Catherine Emerich.

Ken
[/quote]

Anne Catherine Emmerich is not a saint.

Anne Catherine Emmerich is not a saint.

Not a saint as in not stamped and sealed by the Vatican?

No TJ intended.

[quote=Jonah]Not a saint as in not stamped and sealed by the Vatican?

No TJ intended.
[/quote]

I’m 57 so I’m not up on many abbreviations I see in forums. What does TJ mean?

As far as Anne Catherine Emmerich is concerned I believe she is either Venerable or Blessed but she has not been canonised yet.

[quote=thistle]As far as Anne Catherine Emmerich is concerned I believe she is either Venerable or Blessed but she has not been canonised yet.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. Anne Catherine Emmerich is not a saint (yet) however her beatification process was begun in 1892. She was a stigmatist and a great mistic. She has the title of “venerable”.

More info at newadvent.org/cathen/05406b.htm

Ken

Actually her proper title is “blessed.” She was beatified 3 October 2004.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.