Crude lyricism - Can the meaning overpower?

Links in thread are NSFW.

Eminem's "Not Afraid". A song depicting a recovering 'everything' addict, and his journey to show others that even in the toughest times, there is always someone there to help you.

Or one of my personal favorites, Lupe Fiasco's "The Show Goes On." A song that explains how even when you're at your lowest, you can come back, and become stronger.

Both are excellent songs (imo) that have very strong meanings behind them. Both songs also use crude lyrics (especially Not Afraid). Can the positive intentions outweigh the bad when listening to these songs?

i wouldn’t think so personally i would not listen too them and besides its rap ewww lol :slight_smile:

I would say so. I remember someone saying that Paul himself used a very profane word to describe just how horrible life without Christ was.

[quote="CountrySteve, post:2, topic:246385"]
i wouldn't think so personally i would not listen too them and besides its rap ewww lol :)

[/quote]

"Ewww..."? *So you're going to generalize rap & hip-hop as all the same? That's not very charitable. I think there are numerous examples of uplifting and *inspirational rap song - "Airplanes" by B.O.B. is an incredibly uplifting and inspirational songs. "New York State of Mind" by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys is another. And, of course, it goes without saying that by sampling other tracks in their music (including country songs in some cases!), it exposes the listener to songs they might not have otherwise heard.

[quote="havana1, post:4, topic:246385"]
"Ewww..."? *So you're going to generalize rap & hip-hop as all the same? That's not very charitable. I think there are numerous examples of uplifting and *inspirational rap song - "Airplanes" by B.O.B. is an incredibly uplifting and inspirational songs. "New York State of Mind" by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys is another. And, of course, it goes without saying that by sampling other tracks in their music (including country songs in some cases!), it exposes the listener to songs they might not have otherwise heard.

[/quote]

Thank you! Lol, precisely what I was thinking!

[/quote]

lol the eww part i was just joking around i used to love rap unitl i became Christian then is toped listioning too it now if you can find me some clean rap then i'd listion too it

*"Ewww..."? *So you're going to generalize rap & hip-hop as all the same? That's not very charitable.

[/quote]

He's just speaking the truth in love. :p (I kid, I kid.... Believe me, there's plenty of stuff in my music collection which is more than ripe for criticism!) Generally, though, when someone says "Ewww" followed by a smiley face, I wouldn't necessarily take it as a serious statement. Just an expression of personal taste.

For me, crude lyrics are a huge turn off, regardless of the message. (Would the Mona Lisa be as beautiful if it were painted with feces?) But I admit at least part of that has to do with my own sensibilities regarding language.

Come to think of it, though, crude language in music bothers me exponentially more than crude language in movies. I wonder why that is.... :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.