Cruelty free?

Hi,
I'm 15 years old, a catholic living in Ireland. Recently, I gave some thought about cruelty free products. * * * * * * * * * **
I came across a small mention of cruelty free makeup in a magazine and it really got me thinking. I started to do some research on the internet. This happened a short time before my brother's Confirmation. I usually don't wear a whole lot of makeup but I wanted to wear makeup for my brother's Confirmation.

After some research on the internet, I found out that the makeup I already have (NYC) may not fully be cruelty free. So I looked for one that is. I came across "Essence." I remember using one of their lipglosses for my own Confirmation. They state on their website how they don't tests on animals, so I got a mouse foundation, cover stick and a lipgloss.

But then I did some more thinking. Not just makeup, what about the shampoo my family use? Or toothpaste? Or hygiene products? Or cleaning products? This played on my mind a lot and knowing that we couldnt literally change every single product to that of a cruelty free one, I started to feel bad. I still don't feel great but I'm trying to trust that God is helping.*

So I started to internet research shampoo. I found out that herbal essences is owned by p and g who (apparently) do test on animals. I found out that also l'oreal test on animals, but apparently on their website they say that they're working with "The Skin Ethic Tissue Engineering Organistation" which got me thinking even more. loreal-paris.co.uk/faq.aspx

So if they use cells (or make something similar) where does the Catholic Church stand on this? Is it moral? I dreaded to think that they would use aborted fetus cells. Would a company really do that?

But to my horror, I found out that companies actually do. (I'm not accusing the skin ethic tissue engineering organistation.) EWTN said on their question and answer website that a brand "Neocutis" (a one I think is to expensive and one I would never use anyway) actually include the cells of an aborted male baby. [ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=587151&Pg=&Pgnu=&recnu=](http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=587151&Pg=&Pgnu=&recnu=*)
I felt disgusted this would actually happen. So again, more research.*

Even worse was that I discovered (apparently) food and drinks even use aborted fetus cells to make "resepters" to test their products on. (Senoymx) You may have heard of the pepsi thing, which makes me very confused and unsure of the actual story.

Not that I'm saying that *"the skin ethic engineering organistation" has much to do with this, or anything at all, (not that I think) but all this got me thinking.

Moving away from that however, I thought about my face wash and moisturiser. Were they cruelty free? For years, I've used "Neutogena visibly clear pink grapefruit facial wash." It worked great, helping my skin to be clearer (now not completely clear of spots and blackheads, but still, more clear.) With it, I used "Simple kind to skin hydrating light moisturiser" again, another product which worked. It includes vitamins and says it contains "no animal derived ingredients." But I still wondered about whether they were cruelty free or not. As a result of (apparently) reading they're not, I haven't used them in weeks. Meaning my face is far from clear, just a very short time away from my cousin's wedding.

All this as genuinely just left me confused. I'm the kind of person who over thinks things a lot and let's things really get to my mind. I feel guilty about not knowing what products I can actually use. I feel confused over what am I actually eating or drinking. I feel guilty when I see people drinking mountain dew in school, or when my home ec teacher mentioned tropicana, or when I see people in public with pepsi. I told my family about what I found out on this. I feel guilty because not everything my family buy or use is cruelty free, or fairtrade. Not all our meat can be cruelty free, nor all our hygiene products can not be tested on animals, or all our clothes or food fairtrade. We're not great for money, and it's hard to find products that are cruelty free or fairtrade, especially when they're hard to find and not very local.

So I wash my hair less because I feel bad that it was tested on animals, and I don't use my face wash and moisturisiser (also the moisuriser has "urea" is that okay?) because it may of hurt animals, which makes my skin not look very nice. I don't like eating chocolate or other foods if they may not be fairtrade.*

All this has left me confused, anxious, guilty and upset. Things do upset me and play on mind - like I said, I read a tiny paragraph and all this happens. It also left me wondering that if something isn't cruelty free to animals, is it to humans, like for example, aborted babies?

I'm sorry I wrote all this, I'm praying about it but I need advice. What should I use? How should I feel and approach all this? Am I over reacting? What do "cruelty free to animal products" actually test on? What does the Catholic Church feel about cruelty free/non cruelty free products and their use? Should I feel guilty, upset, etc? Can I still use some of these products, eg. Face wash and moisteriser? Do you think I may be acting scrupulous? What actually is "The Skin Ethic Tissue Engineering Organisation"? Is it moral amd what does the Catholic Church think about this? Please don't let it upset you. Please Pray for me and my family and these organisations. Thanks.
God Bless

Get some spiritual guidance from your pastor, locally. You may tend towards scrupulosity given that you are obsessing over this.

Whether or not you buy certain products in the future, or find another, go ahead and use the ones you already have. You are not sinning by doing so.

I also do not want to use products that were tested on parts of dead babies or animals. But I find I can just try to minimize what impact I have. That said, I can offer some practical advice. For several months any shampoo caused intense itching so I ended up using baking soda followed by a vinegar rinse. You use about a tablespoon of baking soda diluted with water and then follow it with a tablespoon of vinegar diluted as a rinse. You can find a better description on the internet under "shampoo alternatives." I find that baking soda diluted with water a good body wash but you need to rinse it off thoroughly. I find that refined coconut oil makes a wonderful conditioner, using about a tablespoon, applied before I un-shampoo. Also I don't dye my hair anymore and I get negative comments because I am 55 and have a large section of almost white hair. But my hair is a lot healthier. But don't obsess about it, you don't have that much control over things.

Hi Vanessa,

Well done for being compassionate to God's creation!

You can find lists of cruelty free products online. The Vegan society in the UK has a small book you can buy with no animal or ingredients and show which are not tested on animals.

vegansociety.com/businesses/discounts/animal-free-shopper.aspx

I would relax a little, stop worrying, but every time you shop look for the cruelty free version,and ask in the shops. Often health food shops have cruelty free everything.

Many people who live like this also look into going vegetarian/vegan.

God bless you and I hope your compassion rubs off onto other people around you!

+

You may also want to consider whether they test on HUMAN FETAL CELLS. For some reason, that is not considered cruel.

I am neither a doctor nor a priest. But, from my experience, you're not just being scrupulous but it sounds like a case of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthcare_services/mental_health/mental_health_about/obsessive_compulsive_disorder/pages/index.aspx

I have OCD, and it sounds like what you're going through is what I have experienced regarding other things. Here's a page about scrupulosity from Jimmy Akin.

jimmyakin.com/2005/04/a_crown_of_thor.html

Please talk with your priest. Ask if he knows of any psychologists in the area, or maybe your doctor could recommend one.

Thanks for all the advice. It really helps and it's nice that you all care :)
To be honest, I feel as if I may have some sort of scrupulousy/OCD considering how I reacted so badly to this. It wouldn't be the first time I freaked out over something either. I ask a lot of questions though and I easily get confused. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I don't like the way animals are harmed. It makes me feel bad if I'm using something that I'm unsure if it is non cruelty free, or if I know isn't. I considered maybe while using products that may not neccesaily be cruelty free I could offer it up to God or pray. What do you think of this? Would that be a possible solution? I mean, it's not like I can literally control all this. Thanks. God Bless

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:5, topic:328353"]
You may also want to consider whether they test on HUMAN FETAL CELLS. For some reason, that is not considered cruel.

[/quote]

That's what made me feel even worse. I found non cruelty to animals make up and I was grand. But then I thought about shampoo and came across the thing with l'oreal and the skin ethic engineering oraganisation (what's that about anyways? Is it good or bad? What's the Catholic Church view/opinion of this?) and then eventually about the food/drink thing. (I do a lot of researching on the internet)
So if the cruelty free products don't cause cruelty to animals, what exactly do they test on? I dread to think every single cruelty free product would test on fetel cells, and I suppose I doubt it too. I mean, if they see animal cruelty as wrong, surely they'd see human cruelty as worse. So this is another thing which adds to my confusion of cruelty free/non cruelty free products and what's better to go with.
Abortion isn't allowed in Ireland (thank God) so maybe things produced in Ireland don't have anything to do with something like that?

[quote="vanessabyrne, post:7, topic:328353"]
Thanks for all the advice. It really helps and it's nice that you all care :)
To be honest, I feel as if I may have some sort of scrupulousy/OCD considering how I reacted so badly to this. It wouldn't be the first time I freaked out over something either. I ask a lot of questions though and I easily get confused. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I don't like the way animals are harmed. It makes me feel bad if I'm using something that I'm unsure if it is non cruelty free, or if I know isn't. I considered maybe while using products that may not neccesaily be cruelty free I could offer it up to God or pray. What do you think of this? Would that be a possible solution? I mean, it's not like I can literally control all this. Thanks. God Bless

[/quote]

The best possible solution is that you go talk to your pastor about your possible scrupulosity and a counselor about complusions.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:328353"]
Get some spiritual guidance from your pastor, locally. You may tend towards scrupulosity given that you are obsessing over this.

Whether or not you buy certain products in the future, or find another, go ahead and use the ones you already have. You are not sinning by doing so.

[/quote]

So does that mean I can use the face wash and moisteriser? (i think the moisteriser has "urea" or something, which i think is found in sweat/urine, does that make it bad? Are the companies bad?) I actually still have some left. And does that mean I can use products I already have that are tested on animals? Or even buy things that are and it won't be bad? What about the make up? NYC (the brand that apparently do somewhere a long the lines) or Essence that apparently don't (but what do cruelty free to animal brands test on?)

What about clothes, foods, etc that might not be or aren't fairtrade? Like what I already own or things like tea and chocolate? Can I use these? Is or right or wrong? What does the Catholic Church feel on this?

Yes, you can.

Make an appointment with your pastor to discuss these obsessive thoughts. Please.

And about the scrupulousy/OCD thing, I wouldn’t be surprised if I actually do have some sort of it. I often stress over tiny things, have to put things in certain places, I even worry if little things are sinful. Say for example, the way I write the letter t. I tend to write it like a cross. If I find something from years ago were I wrote the t and it’s written almost as if it wasn’t an even cross, or if it looked kinda upside down, I’d fix it. Not even if it’s my own writing.
Could a bad event/experience trigger it or make it worse? Last year my family went through a bad event. It keeps coming and going and it’s here again and has been for a while.
Even if I do have thus, I don’t want to be a trouble or burden to my parents and family. I know they’d be supportive but there’s enough going on without me adding to it.
By the way, please don’t let this stray from the cruelty free advice. I know I went kinda off topic.

Sorry I keep repeating things, so I can use non cruelty free things and even buy them? And can I use cruelty free things? I’m worried certain cruelty free things may have been cruel to fetal cells etc

[quote="vanessabyrne, post:12, topic:328353"]
And about the scrupulousy/OCD thing, I wouldn't be surprised if I actually do have some sort of it. I often stress over tiny things, have to put things in certain places, I even worry if little things are sinful. Say for example, the way I write the letter t. I tend to write it like a cross. If I find something from years ago were I wrote the t and it's written almost as if it wasn't an even cross, or if it looked kinda upside down, I'd fix it. Not even if it's my own writing.
Could a bad event/experience trigger it or make it worse? Last year my family went through a bad event. It keeps coming and going and it's here again and has been for a while.
Even if I do have thus, I don't want to be a trouble or burden to my parents and family. I know they'd be supportive but there's enough going on without me adding to it.
By the way, please don't let this stray from the cruelty free advice. I know I went kinda off topic.

[/quote]

It is not off topic. You are obsessing. You need to get help for it. Talk to your pastor. Ask about counseling at your school. You need help.

[quote="1ke, post:9, topic:328353"]
The best possible solution is that you go talk to your pastor about your possible scrupulosity and a counselor about complusions.

[/quote]

Thanks. But still what's your opinion on praying while using products and offering it up to God? Good or bad?

Yes.

It is really important that you get help. It is a good thing to reflect on the practices of the companies you buy from. It is a good thing to make choices that do the best you can with the information you have. It is NOT a good thing to expend so much worry and effort on this. It is NOT a good thing to obsess. It is NOT a good thing to be paralyzed by this.

Your scrupulosity/compulsive issue are interfering with your ability to discern wht is NORMAL.

GO TALK TO YOUR PASTOR. I cannot stress this enough.

[quote="vanessabyrne, post:15, topic:328353"]
Thanks. But still what's your opinion on praying while using products and offering it up to God? Good or bad?

[/quote]

You need professional help.

My opinion on this will not change. You are obsessing about obsessing. Please stop.

Maybe some of you don't realise, but

It's quite a NORMAL THING here to only buy things that are only cruelty free.

Not OCD.

There are a lot of people living this compassionate way,its not at all unusual here in the UK.

For example there is a whole chain of makeup that is only cruelty free (B*dysh*p) & the biggest pharmacy (B**Ts, also Superdr*g) has years ago changed all of its product (No7) to not tested on animals.

If it sounds weird in the U.S. Maybe people ought to think a little more about avoiding unnecessary cruelty at a distance in their buying habits.

~A Franciscan Christian.

Thanks for your advice. I’m really sorry. God Bless

Um, no, that is not the part that is the problem. It is the excessive obsessing, worrying about sinning, hello did you read the OP’s posts-- she does have compulsion issues.

Of course. It is a commendable thing. Which I stated. The OPs issues go way beyond this.

No it does not sound weird.

That is not the issue here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.