Cruz official apologizes over Rubio video alleging Bible diss

A top campaign official for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz apologized Sunday after linking to a video that wrongly depicted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as trash-talking the Bible.

Rick Tyler
10 hours ago
I want to apologize to Senator Marco Rubio for posting an inaccurate story about him here earlier today. The story showed a video of the Senator walking past a Ted Cruz staffer seated in the lobby of a hotel reading his Bible. The story misquoted a remark the Senator made to the staffer. I assumed wrongly that the story was correct. According to the Cruz staffer, the Senator made a friendly and appropriate remark. Since the audio was unclear, I should not have assumed the story was correct. I’ve deleted the post because I would not knowingly post a false story. But the fact remains that I did post it when I should have checked its accuracy first. I regret the mistake.

Link

At least this apology seems sincere

:yup:
:dancing:

Sneak Preview:… Rubio/Cruz

¡¡¡y, en adelante nos vamos a la Casa Blanca!!!

the Latin attack is back - stay tuned for more details…

Sincere or not, the apology will go over the heads of those who want to believe it and find this an excuse to not vote for Rubio (not that they were going to in the first place.)

Well, this is a good time for all GOP voters to step back and take a deep breath. We are going to be fed lots of narratives from the media and individual campaigns - most very divisive and negative. Let’s remember the campaign is a job interview for the Presidency - how you conduct yourself in a campaign is pretty much how you will do your job in the White House. Do you attack, destroy, and make enemies left and right? If you do it on the trail to the White House, you’ll do it there too. The nuking of the GOP is just phase one of many more identical operatives to come - in every direction…

These kinds of ‘inevitablity’ narratives are not unlike the arguments we got for gay marriage or even abortion. The unborn are not human beings (Doritos’ claims aside) - marriage is about love. The media will tell you lots of things, correct - you choose what to accept as truth - ditto this campaign. It takes some determination but I think the future of this country and what happens to the GOP in this election deserves that effort and clear-headedness.

This may backfire on Cruz. It seems to me the non-Trump votes are shaking out between him and Rubio primarily, then Kasich. Those who are on the fence may land on Rubio’s side.

Someone else made the video, the Cruz staffer found it and reposted it. I’m confused if the actual Cruz campaign used it though.

Yes, exactly, and a truce here breaks Trump.

I agree but not enough voters care about ethics during the campaign season as evidenced by the many many excuses for the Cruz campaigns previous antics.

I’m not sure about that, at the last debate both Trump and Rubio were saying Cruz lied when all he did was merely post their own words on issues.

Yeah, I am aware of how bad the Cruz campaign is hitting Rubio - I’ve seen it. (and of course he is hitting Trump too, more so) (Cruz has a long history of getting a little underhanded or shady with colleagues)

But things change fast in politics. The bottom line is, at least to me, it is clear that Cruz and Rubio can work the conservative angle in this election - Cruz to the right of the spectrum - Rubio to the left. It is a no-brainer. A lot can happen in a month or two. It is such an obvious path to the White House - I will be amazed if we screw this up. I like to win. :slight_smile:

So, the Cruz staffer “tweeted” it out, doesn’t sound like it was put on TV or anything, still it is unacceptable. I use social media virtually never, I might read what a few people here and there say a few times a week, not often.

We only have ourselves to beat…now, when were we in this position last?:eek:

3 times a charm :wink: (assuming above)

I was originally for Walker, my memory is refreshed with the photoshopped picture of Rubio shaking hands with Obama. Here is an article on this:

usatoday.com/videos/news/politics/elections/2016/2016/02/19/80599754/

It sure seems ignorant to hold one out as being an Evangelist’s choice and to be doing these kinds of things.

Maybe they thought they couldn’t win without pulling some tricks. One can excuse a case or two of this but this is all too much.

I think this is exactly why Cruz didn’t win South Carolina.

^^^^This.

Cruz’ campaign manager is a piece of work; you should have seen him tossing around the word ‘liberal’ about Rubio. It was a joke. He made him sound like Bernie Sanders; I think all of these candidates have really top notch, powerful, scheming advisors, whole teams of them. The nastiness often comes off the cuff from the team, not necessarily the candidate. I am not dismissing the antics of the Cruz campaign but it is important to realize that it is not all Cruz. It is about trying to win by destroying the other candidates. Unfortunately it works. But alliances also form too - and all is forgiven. It can go either way. That is where the candidate makes the call.

Cruz fires top aide over Rubio video flap

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270306-cruz-fires-top-aide-over-rubio-video-flap

Well personally I think his campaigns actions in Iowa and Cruz’s attitude about it were much more egregious than this Rubio video thing. At this point, I have completely written Cruz off. Cruz lost me weeks ago when he just made excuses about what his campaign did to Carson. While I like Rubio, I won’t vote for him if he is on the ticket with Cruz.

Rubio responds to Cruz campaign:

“Rick is a really good spokesman who had the unenviable task of working for a candidate willing to do or say anything to get elected,” the Rubio campaign told Patrick Svitek of Texas Monthly.

“There is a culture in the Cruz campaign, from top to bottom, that no lie is too big and no trick too dirty. Rick did the right thing by apologizing to Marco. It’s high time for Ted Cruz to do the right thing and stop the lies.”

Link

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.