In yesterday’s homily our priest walked us through a hypothetical scenario in which you come upon a crying woman and what kinds of reactions you might have. He listed the following reactions, asked where our comfort level was, and asked us to go at least one step further if this discipleship opportunity did present itself in real life.
Which would you choose? Do you think the “right” answer should depend on your comfort level and individual gifts?
- Ignore her, it’s not your business and it’s awkward
- Ask “Are you ok?” (She isn’t, but it feels natural)
- Ask if she prays and if she has prayed about this
- Ask if you can sit and quietly pray with her
- Pray aloud with or for her
- None of these things