Cuba's Dissident Crackdown Peaks Ahead of Obama's Historic Visit [Bloomberg]

Cuba’s Dissident Crackdown Peaks Ahead of Obama’s Historic Visit

Even some supporters of President Barack Obama’s moves to strengthen relations with Cuba are questioning the timing of his planned visit to the Communist island next month, after arrests of dissidents by Raul Castro’s government reached a five-year high.

Obama vowed Thursday that he’ll promote human rights during his historic visit, the first by a sitting American president since 1928. But more than a year of warming relations between the nations, separated by just 90 miles, have so far failed to slow the Cuban government’s crackdown on political dissidents.

The Madrid-based Cuban Observatory on Human Rights said 1,474 people, including 512 women, were “arbitrarily” detained in January. The arrests have been climbing since the December 2014 announcement that the two governments would improve ties.

Read More At: bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-02-18/cuba-s-dissident-crackdown-peaks-ahead-of-obama-s-historic-visit

Why am I not surprised.

Another failed foreign policy consequence.

Obama is building his legacy. He can strut over to Cuba like a banty rooster. Isn’t this what he lives for?

The blind saw this coming.
Prayers said for those under Castro-regime oppression and all the persecuted Church.

Our Father…

Hail Mary…

Most Holy Virgin Mary, Help of Christians,
how sweet it is to come to your feet
imploring your perpetual help.
If earthly mothers cease not to remember their children,
how can you, the most loving of all mothers forget these who are bound?
Grant then to them, I implore you,
your perpetual help in all necessities,
in every sorrow, and especially in all temptations.
I ask for your unceasing help for all who are now suffering.
Help the weak, cure the sick, convert sinners.
Grant through your intercessions many vocations to the religious life.
Obtain for us, O Mary, Help of Christians,
that having invoked you on earth we may love and eternally thank you in heaven.

VIDEO: Dissidents disrupt ESPN Cuba broadcast
MARCH 23, 2016 BY OLAF EKBERG

ESPN was in the country to cover President Obama kissing Raul Castro’s ring and attending a baseball game with him.

Anchor Bob Ley was reporting live as shouts could be heard off camera and paper was thrown in the air as a young man in black sunglasses jumped into the shot.

“We have a moment here with a political demonstration on our set,” Ley said, stepping out of the frame. The man threw papers into the air and yelled before being pulled down.

The protester, as well as several others, could be seen being dragged away by “plain clothes policemen,” according to Ley.

One man was aggressively thrown into the back of a police car, with his hands waving wildly.

Like a baseball game, Ley provided the play-by-play.

“Astonishingly, as soon as (the paper) hit the ground, they made several arrests, they were taken off here — dragged off here — one dissident was taken off, police restraining him by the neck, putting him in a car, so they’ve been taken away.”

Local reporter Yusnaby Perez posted the video, tweeting (translated to English), “This occurred in #LaHabana minutes after leaving Obama. Opposition disrupts shot live and imprisoned it #Cuba.”

theamericanmirror.com/video-dissidents-disrupt-espn-cuba-broadcast/

I’m at work and couldn’t “see” the video (our internet blocks many sites and most videos).
The text I posted was most of what I wanted to share. Warning: the comments section lower on the page after the article gets rather angry (uncharitable per CA?) … so be apprised if you “go there”.*

Obama helped usher in the Arab spring. I guess this is the Cuban spring. Obama seems to like to start revolutions.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spring

SPRING: (under transitive verb, definition 6)

*to make lame. *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.