Cuddling kittens can kill you, warn scientists

The Telegraph:

**Cuddling kittens can kill you, warn scientists **

Cuddling a kitten may always make you feel better - but it could be dangerous to your health, according to experts. Doctors from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US conducted a large-scale survey of the cat-borne bacterial disease cat scratch fever.
They found the scope and impact of the potentially deadly disease was larger than they thought.
The disease causes fever, pustules and in extreme cases, the complications from the illness can cause death.

The doctors have warned that hands should always be washed after touching cats, and to avoid kissing felines where possible.
They also advised cat owners ensure their pet is protected from fleas.
Dr. Christina Nelson of the CDC said: "The scope and impact of the disease is a little bit larger than we thought,
“Cat-scratch is preventable. If we can identify the populations at risk and the patterns of disease, we can focus the prevention efforts.”
Kittens and strays are more likely to carry the disease. The disease is spread when you are scratched by an infected cat, or when you don’t wash your hands and touch your mouth after stroking an infected cat.
Kissing and rough play with stray cats and kittens should also be avoided where possible.

I always knew cats are out to get us.

This must have been written by a “dog person”! :rolleyes:

They forgot to mention that it could also lead to an outbreak of Ted Nugent

My family has been cuddling with kittens and cats for around 40 years. The CDC would be amazed that we remain living.

I’m not going to stop cuddling MY cats and kittens.:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I am going to have that song running through my head for the rest of the evening!! :wink:

:rotfl:

Meanwhile, they have yet to find the nine-life virus :):):slight_smile:

You probably remembered not to inject heroin while cuddling kittens. Cats can also interfere with your texting while driving drunk. Felines get the blame every time. Always pet prudently.

I just kissed a 12-week kitten yesterday.

Doubt that, their warning is about infected cats.

Pray tell how do you know of this song?

:rotfl:

Well, in that case how come I am heading for 80 and sleeping with the dreaded felines IN MY BED etc etc etc… and have been doing for 40 years…

I knew about cat scracth fever decades ago

They need to stress INFECTED felines and SCRATCH… I got scratched by a newtome feral amd I am fine…

Hear that, Boycat, purring by my pillow! You they say will b the death of me…

I did get a slight allergy to the close dense fur one on of the newcomers last year but that passed,

The next crazy illness they discover will be Hand Wash Fever… In public toilets they are all scrubbing their hands as if about to perform surgery, then they handle the DIRTY taps and DIRTY door handles…

The way that you posted this, I couldn’t help but laugh! :rotfl:

I remember when it was popular on the rock radio stations, back in the 70’s. That’s how I know of it. :slight_smile: :cool: :wink:

Makes me mad sometimes ! I prefer handwipes or keeping a clean wet disinfected washcloth in a bag, I am only out when I am handling money and that is fillthy stuff but no way could I wash after every transaction…

Remind me of Lady Macbeth, “Out out damned germs…”

Makes me mad sometimes ! I prefer handwipes or keeping a clean wet disinfected washcloth in a bag, I am only out when I am handling money and that is fillthy stuff but no way could I wash after every transaction…
As soon as I am home and the car unloaded, I wash my hands at my own sink with carbolic soap.

Remind me of Lady Macbeth, “Out out damned germs…”

Cats are still safer than dogs. While the article says death can occur, it is rare enough to be unmeasured, as opposed to four an a half million dog bites resulting in 20-30 deaths each year in the US. On the issue of public safety, cats are the clear winner.

Cats rule, dogs drool!! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.