Cultivating a close relationship with Mary?

Hi everyone. How does one cultivate a close relationship with Mary, the Mother of God? :shrug::confused:

Any good friendship is built on trust, respect, and time. We have to trust Mary to intercede for us, respect her virtue and dignity, and spend time with her in the rosary every day. Anything more intimate or profound than that is entirely up to her. :)

Why would Jesus spend 30 years with his mother if it was no good for him?
Why would Jesus tell us on the cross to take Mary as our mother if it were not positive mentaly spiritually?
There are some things you can’t say on these threads that are the truth so one could be limited in expressing their answers.

If it is not good, then to have spiritual parents (since Jesus tells us to think spiritually) in such that if I were to ask Jesus to be my father and Mary to be my mother, and the saints as my brothers and sisters in the spirit.
Then I believe that my thoughts of any person on earth would be such that all are my brothers and sisters, AND I would see God in them regardless of their actions. ( I would LOVE the sinner and hate the sin).
If you can think of that then how would your love for everyone be? there would be no difference in your loving one person and another. Absolutely NO putting down others and no putting self above. I could pray for all and everyone with out thought. I would find reasons to pray for others.

Godbless
littleone

freebrownscapular.com

Pray for an intimate relationship with her :). Ask Mary for an intimate relationship with her and keep asking her, praying the Hail Mary often, and I'm sure you'll receive what you ask for and more!

Takimg Mary as our mother and Jesus as our Fathr is very powerful.

To empower that I needed help some time ago and when I read this prayer I knew I had to take a deeper relationship with Mary.
And it works for my wife and I saying this prayer and the rosary together we have had definit responses to our needs.

A petition Prayer
Through
Mary our Mother
O Most beautiful Flower of Carmel, Fruit of the vine, Splendour of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the son of God. Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this my necessity.
O Star of the sea, help me and show me you are my mother, O Holy Mary Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth. I humbly beseech you, from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity.
There are none that can withstand your Power, oh show me here you are my Mother. Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you. (3 times) Holy Mary
I place this course in your hands (3 times).
Thank you for your mercy towards me and my needs. Amen.

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:177797"]
Hi everyone. How does one cultivate a close relationship with Mary, the Mother of God? :shrug::confused:

[/quote]

I understand what you mean. With me, I see Mary, and I know she is beautiful, perfect and wonderful, and I love her. She has done many good things for many good people. I see people with extreme devotions to her, but I just don't feel that close to her. I have tried. but the rosary is too lengthy for me. I have tried begging the Holy Spirit to keep me awake during the rosary, but I ALWAYS fall asleep after the second decade. I don't mean to because it's boring, but I can't physically stay awake during it. St. Therese had the same problem. She used to say that parents love their children even more while they are asleep, so God still looks favorably on her.

I need to pray for another way to get closer to Mary.

-Jeanne

[quote="jeanne71350, post:7, topic:177797"]
I understand what you mean. With me, I see Mary, and I know she is beautiful, perfect and wonderful, and I love her. She has done many good things for many good people. I see people with extreme devotions to her, but I just don't feel that close to her. I have tried. but the rosary is too lengthy for me. I have tried begging the Holy Spirit to keep me awake during the rosary, but I ALWAYS fall asleep after the second decade. I don't mean to because it's boring, but I can't physically stay awake during it. St. Therese had the same problem. She used to say that parents love their children even more while they are asleep, so God still looks favorably on her.

I need to pray for another way to get closer to Mary.

-Jeanne

[/quote]

Just pray the Hail Mary :). You don't have to pray the Rosary to pray the Hail Mary. Pray your own personal prayers, just using your own words, to Mary as well, telling her about your day and various concerns and interests. Develop conversational praying to Mary, just speaking to her normally as if she was in the room. And pray the Hail Mary every so often too.

As regards praying the Rosary, you can break up the decades, praying them one at a time with long breaks between each decade, splitting it up so that you pray it over the course of several hours. You could just praying the decades whenever you feel like it rather than spending concentrated time.

There are a lot of things you can try. You could also intersperse the Hail Mary's with your own personal prayers, using your own words to express your own personal thoughts toward Mary between the Hail Mary's. You could also try praying each Hail Mary for a specific intention. Those activities help keep one focused while praying it.

There are a lot of tricks to overcome Rosary blocks.

I recommend praying the Hail Mary randomly, any time you think of it and desire to, throughout the day. Just whenever you want to, not as a discipline but as a pleasure activity whenever you feel like it. You shouldn't feel compelled to pray it, like you're praying it because you have to, but just pray the Hail Mary whenever you want to during the day and it may well brighten your day. It can be a lovely experience.

For those having difficulty with the rosary, I have a possible alternative. I downloaded the Mysteries from the Rosary Army, put them on my mp3 player, and now pray along as I walk on the treadmill. This is good for me because I like to be active.

Definitely read St. Louis de Montfort writings. True Devotion to Mary is a must, and then Secret of Mary and Secret of the Rosary.

Or you could get God Alone, the full collection of his writings. :wink:

St. Louis writes extensively on cultivating a close relationship with Mary. True Devotion is such a good book, I cant recommend it enough! After reading it I had such a better idea of how to develop a relationship with Mary.

I kind of do that already. I got into the habit of praying a Hail Mary every time I pass an adult video store or a strip club. That turned into praying a Hail Mary every time I got frustrated and needed a moment of peace.

Hey, maybe I’m closer to Mary than I think.
-Jeanne

Hi if Our Father , Jesus, Mary, or husband, wife were standing in front of you then would you talk the way to them the way you pray or would you listen to what you are saying and speak these words to them?
It’s the same, I used to pray the rosary, and got bored when I was a child, but when I invited the Holy Spirit He showed me that it’s not in talking to so much but in HAVING A RELATIONSHIP with them.
When you have a relationship you enjoy each and every word being spoken.
Hope that helps try it if you havent!!!

Godbless
littleone

[quote="jeanne71350, post:11, topic:177797"]
I kind of do that already. I got into the habit of praying a Hail Mary every time I pass an adult video store or a strip club. That turned into praying a Hail Mary every time I got frustrated and needed a moment of peace.

Hey, maybe I'm closer to Mary than I think.
-Jeanne

[/quote]

Maybe so! Sounds like a very good practice you have set up :). The only question you have is how to add to it, I guess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.