Cummunion under almost both forms?

Several priests and parishes I know of routinely run out of the Precious Blood at Communion. If a parish is offering Communion under both forms, should they make sure that all who approach for Communion can receive under both forms, and not just those willing to sit closer? Are there pertinent documents I can share?

I know Communion is valid under either form, but I’m more curious to know that once the decision is made to offer Communion under both forms what official standards may apply.

It does not make any difference because even in parishes where Communion is offered under both species and there is plenty available the Communicant is not under an obligation to receive both species.

It sounds like either an economy measure or that the sacristan isn’t good at estimating how much wine to put out before Mss begins… Or a combination of both, of course. Maybe at the beginning too much was having to be consumed afterwards by the priest.

It is very difficult to ‘guesstimate’ how much wine to put out. In our diocese when receiving under both kinds was (re) introduced , we were given the guideline of 5 mil per person. After so many years of doing it, I go by how far it comes up on the vessels, I don’t need to measure it. But I can still get caught out. if a lt of people are away because of a School Mass, or a lot extra come because of a retreat…

My bet would be saving money, though.

Your options include sitting at the front of the church so that you can be among the first in line. You could also politely ask the priest to start with more wine. Of course, you should make a donation to pay for the extra sacramental wine.

Trying to find some Church document to wave in a priest’s face to convince him that he is in some error is a very poor idea. Try the charitable approaches.

There is no document that states what you are looking for. Communion under both forms is completely optional both for the priest to offer it and the communicant to receive it.

At many very large parishes I have attended, the consecrated wine runs out. This is preferable to having a significant amount to be consumed by the EMHCs or the clergy after Communion time.

I would say that it is common to run out. In my parish, we normally have a very small amount of wine left. But sometimes that runs out.

I was an EMHC at a Catholic event away from any Catholic Church buildings. We were holding Mass in a hotel banquet room. The materials for Communion had to be brought in by one of the Priests.

He was given an estimate on how many people would be in attendance and based on that estimate, he brought in materials for Communion. The estimate was low … way low. Well before we were done serving, we had run out of wine. Those of us with hosts were breaking them into quarter-hosts to serve (note, any amount still counts as Communion, even a crumb). In the end, everyone was served; some received full Host and Wine, some received full Host only, most received a quarter Host only.

Someone complained to the Priest that we had run out of wine. He said, “I’m sorry. But next time, sit closer to the front. Those people had wine.”

My church does it back to front.

In most places where Communion is served back and front, it is done this way to save time and has no real effect on whether or not they run out of one or the other Species of Communion. It only impacts the seating location of the people who do not get to choose a particular Species.

At our church Father only had two Eucharistic ministers distributing the Sacred Body and four offering the Sacred Blood, all with a full chalice. My friend who is a EM complained that quaffing g down an almost full chalice on an empty stomach so early in the morning was not a pleasant experience.

I’m curious. Is there an imposed limit on how much consecrated wine (okay, Blood) one can consume at any parish?

The thing to keep in mind is that all the precious blood consecrated at any given Mass must be consumed at that Mass. It is better to run out than to have a large amount left, since then the priests or EMHC’s must consume all that remains. Remaining hosts can be reserved in the tabernacle, the precious blood cannot.

The priest is the Eucharistic Minister. Lay persons cannot be that. EMHC’s are not Eucharistic Ministers.

And whether priest or EMHC, consuming a full Chalice isn’t a pleasant experience.

Don’t some Protestants use small cups for communion wine to ensure everyone has enough? Of course that presumes everyone will be receiving both species.

To the best of my knowledge there are no documents that state that anyone who wishes to receive under either form is guaranteed that there will be enough. (Yes, I know hosts can be broken to increase the possibility for all to receive.)

It can be impossible to estimate the amount needed when there are a few who consume half the the precious blood remaining when they come to the cup. If they come early in the line, not enough. If they come near the end, there is too much.

If you want to regulate how much must be consumed, and that all the communicates must partake, and there must be a count of communicants before mass. OK, then you could accurately estimate the amount and never be wrong.

Before Mass is seldom accurate. Many come in late, or in the case of daily Mass, come in right before communion.

I’ve had that experience as well, and it is ***definitely ***not pleasant. Particularly in parishes that select overly-sweet wines.

Being an EMHC is not compulsory. Its a free choice and surely an unpleasant experience isn’t too much of a sacrifice to handle now and then.
Look at the sacrifice and unpleasant experience Christ suffered for us on the Cross and yet people complain about consuming a full chalice!!!

Consuming a full Chalice and walking out of Mass drunk. Some of our EMHC are small people.

Please remember that the Consecration doesn’t remove the alcohol from the wine.

In addition, I don’t compare every experience that happens, to Christ dying on the cross. I don’t imagine that most people do.

“Oh, I was in a car accident and lost my leg.” “Stop complaining it wasn’t like you had to die on the cross.”
“I am so sad, my husband died” “Get over it, it wasn’t like you died on the cross.”
“I was stuck in traffic for an hour today.” “Seriously? What do I care? Unless you are on the cross, I have no compassion for you.”

I can’t imagine that is how Christ wants us to react to our fellow man. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.