Cuomo Signs Executive Order Against Companies That Support Israeli Boycott

newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/06/05/cuomo-israel-boycott/

*New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has taken action against companies that support a boycott against Israel.

WCBS 880’s Kelly Waldron reported Cuomo signed an executive order which said New York is against the Palestinian-backed boycott movement against Israel, which is known as B-D-S.

“It’s very simple,” Cuomo said. “If you boycott Israel, New York will boycott you.”

Cuomo is the first governor to sign such an order, which takes effect immediately, and he urged other governors to follow suit.

Several states have moved to support Israel and prevent their governments from doing business with companies that endorse the boycotts.

Similar bills are pending in both houses at the New York Legislature.*

Wow that’s amazing.

Good for him.

The New York state legislature had previously taken up the issue, although had been unable to pass any bill. That is why the governor stepped in.

But on Sunday, Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, flexed his executive power — a more familiar demonstration in the governor’s second term — joking that passing legislation can “often be a tedious affair,” and saying instead he wanted “immediate action” on B.D.S., while challenging other governors to do the same.

According to the executive order, Mr. Cuomo will command the commissioner of the Office of General Services to devise a list over the next six months of businesses and groups engaged in any “boycott, divestment or sanctions activity targeting Israel, either directly or through a parent or subsidiary.”

The list will be compiled from “credible information available to the public,” according to the order, and subject to appeal by the companies and entities included on it. Once the designation process is completed, however, all executive-branch agencies and departments — which make up a large portion of state government — as well as public boards, authorities, commissions and all public-benefit corporations will be required to divest themselves of any company on the list.

nytimes.com/2016/06/06/nyregion/cuomo-new-york-israel-boycott-bds-movement.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fnyregion&action=click&contentCollection=nyregion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Supporting our allies, good work, Cuomo.

I agree with Cuomo here. He is doing good to counter fascism and anti-Semitism. Palestine is a nation that leans towards fascism as its ideology. They should not be supported. The Jews deserve our sympathy in their struggle against far-right oppression.

Nice! And better yet, it leaves Conservatives speechless!:smiley:

Very good.

Bravo!!!

Good for him! :thumbsup:

I wonder how many people here would feel, if the UN decided that about half our nation was no longer sovereign American land and would return to the Native Americans. Somehow, I don’t think a lot of people, including a lot of Catholics would be happy that their own ancestral land was stolen from them, even if its to be given to an oppressed people. Especially if movements with the new Native American state flirted with racial supremacy, even if it was only a minority, albeit an influential one, in the new government.

I’m also a bit tired of people relating criticism of the state of Israel with anti-semitism. Especially considering that there are Jewish people who also speak out against some of the actions of the state.

Even if your analogy was true (and if you’ve read the Old Testament, it’s certainly not very accurate), from a cynically pragmatic point of view, one can still defend this as a “lesser of two evils” choice. The alternative to supporting Israel is passively or actively supporting the surrounding Islamic countries, many of which have radical elements in them. In a worst-case scenario, this might even allow ISIS to expand. :frowning:

Second, the “a few people flirt with racial supremacy” argument is a weak one. Even within the Catholic Church, there are some who do this (just visit the comments section of any article on Islam or migrants in Crisis Magazine or NC Register if you don’t believe me!). They are in error, but that does not mean we must defect from the Catholic Church. :wink:

Well, this conservative says Kudos to Cuomo.

Liberals supporting an actual liberal agenda against illiberal bullies is more than could be hoped for.

Amen to that. There are calls to criminalize the boycotting of Israel. How is that even remotely related to a free society? Then there’s this kind of talk:

*One of the most alarming of the statements was made by Israeli Minister of Transportation, Israel Katz, who called for the “focused civilian elimination of the leadership of BDS.”

We need to know how “to act against them, how to isolate them, also to transfer information to intelligence agents around the world, and other agents. We have to understand that there is a battle here. It is wrapped in many covers,” Katz said.*

counterpunch.org/2016/04/07/non-violent-bds-should-be-welcomed-not-condemned/

I’m not entirely sold on the idea that Israel is a “lesser evil”. Compare to militant Islam, certainly, but the conflict between Israel and Palestine is a different animal and failing to address the anger and concerns of the Palestinians people will only breed more Islamic terror. Most people who join terrorist cells aren’t doing it because they want to spread violence and death for its own sake. They do it, because the leaders of these sects are promising them freedom.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in support of giving full support to Palestine, either. We need to broker peace between the two of them.

Criminalizing a company’s right to not do business with a foreign nation doesn’t seem like a way to do that, however.

Yes, there are Jews, including Israeli Jews, who are critical of the State of Israel, particularly its treatment of the Palestinians, but are not anti-Semitic, although Jewish anti-Semitism does exist. Non-Jews who are critical are, however, more suspect since, at times, the criticism of Israel’s policies is a cover for anti-Semitism.

I am not a fan of Andrew Cuomo’s but do support his action in this instance.

That is a valid point, especially considering the number of Christians who will be injured in the inevitable fallout. Let’s just agree to disagree here. :slight_smile:

Criminalizing a company’s right to not do business with a foreign nation doesn’t seem like a way to do that, however.

That is the real issue here. Is this a legitimate exercise of power by the Government, or a violation of the principle of subsidiarity? :confused:

Not so fast. :slight_smile:

There may be more backdoor politics here. Cuomo may have done this to save the Democratic-controlled legislature the hassle of having to choose between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

It should be fairly well understood among the wiser Democratic strategists that many blue states have flipped or almost flipped governorships and legislatures recently.

xNoOnex;13949586]I wonder how many people here would feel, if the UN decided that about half our nation was no longer sovereign American land and would return to the Native Americans.

I like this line of thinking. But the catch here is that most Native Americans are not asking for such extreme measures and the UN doesn’t have the power to tell America what to do.

Somehow, I don’t think a lot of people, including a lot of Catholics would be happy that their own ancestral land was stolen from them, even if its to be given to an oppressed people. Especially if movements with the new Native American state flirted with racial supremacy, even if it was only a minority, albeit an influential one, in the new government.

No one is happy to have something stolen from them. But the conditions today of many Native areas are about the failures of big government social policy, not whether or not they own land. Someone may have land, but if they don’t know how to manage it in the modern marketplace, it will not be productive.

Besides, I suspect that non-Native progressives are much more interested in such matters than Native Americans, who have in large measure taken practical approaches ever since Europeans began living next to them. There’s a lot myths perpetrated about that time period that are not accurate.

I’m also a bit tired of people relating criticism of the state of Israel ith anti-semitism. Especially considering that there are Jewish people who also speak out against some of the actions of the state.

Criticism of a state is not anti-Semitic. Nor is it racist, islamophobic or bigoted or whatever :cool: whiny buzzword of the day is. Israel is not a perfect place, but no place is, not even Finland or Iceland. But the fact of the matter is from a purely strategic standpoint, we cannot ignore the fact that Israel is the only democracy in the area—and make no mistake we are very, very fortunate that Egypt is what it is under the circumstances, or the situation could be much, much worse.

The concern with Palestine is that many Palestinians do not want peace, and they think that backed by the right forces in the Middle East they can eventually take over Israel and end the Jewish State. As one report noted, “if you talk to the Arabs in Israel, they do not want Muslim rule”.

Exactamundo. :thumbsup: The true Israel is a spiritual Israel. The Israel of the church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.