Cupich to be Next Chicago Archbishop

Bishop Blase Cupich of Spokane, Washington, will be named the next archbishop of Chicago, The Associated Press has learned.

Cupich will succeed Cardinal Francis George, according to a person with knowledge of the selection, who spoke Friday on the condition of anonymity because the person wasn’t authorized to speak publicly. George, 77, has been battling cancer and has said he believes the disease will end his life.

The Archdiocese of Chicago has scheduled a news conference for Saturday morning. A spokeswoman for the archdiocese would not comment.

bigstory.ap.org/article/bae2380fa5974d398b949c0c6943b5ab/apnewsbreak-cupich-be-next-chicago-archbishop

Francis has called the church’s focus on abortion, marriage and contraception narrow and said it was driving people away.

Is this true?

Ha! No.

“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.”

Card George 2010

Anyone know anything about Archbishop Cupich?

Here’s the installation video of Bishop Cupich as Bishop of Spokane, Washington, his current diocese.

youtube.com/watch?v=eFPuEQPU0OY

Video of Bishop Blase Cupich in which he explains the significance of Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga’s keynote address, “Erroneous Autonomy: The Catholic Case Against Libertarianism to the people of the United States.” Introduced by Dr. Maryann Cusimano Love.

youtube.com/watch?v=qWKfqrEgzVM

Fr. Jim Martin, SJ says Bishop Cupich is a “pastoral, pastoral, pastoral, smart, brave and caring man. I know him to be a true shepherd of souls.”

BREAKING: Pope Francis names Spokane bishop to Chicago, dashing conservative hopes

I see that he lead the Bishop’s efforts against same-sex marriage in Washington state, and has spoken out against the HHS mandate, those are good signs I guess :shrug:

For those interested, here is a link to some articles he has written:

americamagazine.org/users/blase-j-cupich

And here is a “Whispers in the Loggia” article on him:

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2014/09/for-19-chimneys-blase-of-glory-spokanes.html?m=1

After reading about Bishop Cupich I read he opposes the HHS mandate. Here is his statement:

dioceseofspokane.org/news_detail.php?id=171

Apparently he discouraged clergy from praying outside abortion mills, or participating in 40 Days for Life.

Appointment is now official

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Bishop_Blaise_Cupich_CNA_US_Catholic_News_5_31_12.jpgVatican City, Sep 20, 2014 / 05:09 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis has appointed Spokane, Wash. Bishop Blase Cupich as the new shepherd of the Archdiocese of Chicago, replacing retiring Cardinal Francis George.

The 65-year-old prelate was named Chicago's new archbishop on Sept. 20.

He sits on numerous committees at the U.S. bishop's conference including the Subcommittee on the Church in Central and Eastern Europe.

Born in Omaha, Neb. In 1949, he was ordained a priest in 1975 and studied at the College of St. Thomas in Minnesota as well as the Pontifical College of North America in Rome. In 1998, he was named bishop of Rapid City, South Dakota, and in 2010, he was named bishop of Spokane.

He will replace Cardinal George, who submitted his resignation two years ago, when he turned 75, as is required by Canon Law.

The 77-year-old cardinal has struggled with his health, facing cancer three times. After being diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2006, he underwent a five-hour operation to remove his bladder, prostate gland and sections of his ureters, the tubes which connect the kidneys to the bladder. In August 2012, cancerous cells were discovered in his kidney and in a nodule that was removed from his liver. He underwent chemotherapy, and the cancer cells in his kidney became dormant.

Cardinal George was born in Chicago on Jan. 16, 1937 and is the first native of Chicago to become archbishop of the city. Pope John Paul II named him Bishop of Yakima in Washington State in 1990. After serving for five years, he was appointed archbishop of Portland, Oregon, on April 30, 1996.

Less than a year later, on April 8, 1997, Pope John Paul II named him the eighth Archbishop of Chicago after the See had fallen vacant with the death of Cardinal Joseph Bernardin on Nov. 14, 1996.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/skPd4NkRqi8

Full article…

Blessings on the new archbishop!!!

He forbade seminarians from praying outside abortion mills and instructed priests to avoid doing the same, in or out of clerics, or supporting 40 DFL in virtually any way (see, e.g., Mark Shea’s various posts on the topic – and if a prelate is too liberal for Mark Shea to like, that’s a pretty bad sign). So, IMO, this is not a promising appointment (though we should of course pray that I am wrong).

The City of Chicago will shake this apostle to his core and challenge everything he believes.

I can’t even imagine being in his position and dealing with people like Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Chicago political machine.

Even though the United States is “united,” Chicago is like a different planet from Spokane, Washington.

Don’t get me wrong–I love Chicago. But I don’t live there. I live 65 miles west of Chicago, and that’s plenty close for me .

The reason why Illinois is broke and struggling is because of Chicago.

Archbishop Cupich will need constant prayer.

Cupich disagrees with certain pro-life tactics. Sometimes people let their emotions get the better of them outside abortion clinics and end up committing sins themselves. He was obviously afraid that that would happen to his priests and was protecting them from that temptation. Cupich seems like a non-confrontational Midwestern.

He seems like a very nice man and as a Chicagoan, I’m glad that he will be my new Archbishop! Hopefully he’ll have time to slip out and go to Billy Goat Tavern or go get some Chicago pizza after the news conference.:stuck_out_tongue:

You are, I think, being too generous. There are ways to discourage extreme behavior (and not much of any evidence that he had doing so in mind) beyond issuing a blanket ban on participation in any way.

Is that really true, though? You can fall out of a roller coaster car too but who cares?

I’d be willing to read any articles containing words about Catholic pro-lifers doing bad things outside of abortion clinics. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’d wager it’s super rare.

It is extremely rare for Catholics to behave badly outside abortion clinics. Yet, the argument that all religions have there dangerous fanatics, “just look at those who protest outside abortion clinics” has been repeated time and again despite it’s having no validity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.