curanderos, healers, guerisseurs

I would like to know the opinion of the church,
My mother ussually gives us “limpias” passing an egg to take away the bad energy, and the evil eye, it is a sin to do that

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

The pagan practice of “passing the egg” is certainly not Christian let alone Catholic. We have several methods of removing evil influences by the egg. Here they rub the unbroken egg all over the body then go outside and put it in a fire and creamate it. All the practices with eggs or oils are pagan.

Don’t do it. It breaks the 1st Commandment. Have no other God before you.

It is as evil as to take part in a Witches Moonlite ceremony. Don;t do the egg “thing”.

that is what I believe, but my mother says she does not invocke evil spirits, she is just taking away the bad energy.

what should i tell her

[quote=migcerva]that is what I believe, but my mother says she does not invocke evil spirits, she is just taking away the bad energy.

what should i tell her
[/quote]

Ask your mother where she thinks the power to take away this “bad energy” comes from? There’s nothing in an egg by itself that has any power. No matter what she calls it or whatever her motivation, she is still attempting to tap into outside powers that she should not be. As I showed you, the Church’s teaching is crystal clear.

Hello All,

My parents are both from Mexico, so this stuff is no mystery. The fact is “curandero” stuff is Native American witchcraft/VooDoo. Catholics are forbiddon to take part in this kind of superstition. This is not denying the power of such things. The witch doctors who are not charlatans are tapping into a dark power they shouldn’t be toying with. I recommend rather than going to get a “limpia” have your house blessed and make frequent use of the Sacraments. Don’t forget the Holy Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Remember, Grace not “energy”. :cool:

I think it is best to tolerate such practices, and not directly confront them. Respect your mother, and her old-fashioned ways. They are superstition, and usually die out in time, especially when ignored. Better you tolerate her doing that, than damage your relationship with her. Maybe ask her to connect it with a Christian prayer, or the Sign of the Cross as she does it.

I get irritated with people of European heritage who condemn such practices, yet are slaves to the horoscope.

1 Like

854 By her very mission, "the Church . . . travels the same journey as all humanity and shares the same earthly lot with the world: she is to be a leaven and, as it were, the soul of human society in its renewal by Christ and transformation into the family of God."351 Missionary endeavor requires patience. It begins with the proclamation of the Gospel to peoples and groups who do not yet believe in Christ,352 continues with the establishment of Christian communities that are "a sign of God’s presence in the world,"353 and leads to the foundation of local churches.354 It must involve a process of inculturation if the Gospel is to take flesh in each people’s culture.355 There will be times of defeat. "With regard to individuals, groups, and peoples it is only by degrees that [the Church] touches and penetrates them and so receives them into a fullness which is Catholic."356

855 The Church’s mission stimulates efforts towards Christian unity.357 Indeed, "divisions among Christians prevent the Church from realizing in practice the fullness of catholicity proper to her in those of her sons who, though joined to her by Baptism, are yet separated from full communion with her. Furthermore, the Church herself finds it more difficult to express in actual life her full catholicity in all its aspects."358 856 The missionary task implies a respectful dialogue with those who do not yet accept the Gospel.359 Believers can profit from this dialogue by learning to appreciate better "those elements of truth and grace which are found among peoples, and which are, as it were, a secret presence of God."360 They proclaim the Good News to those who do not know it, in order to consolidate, complete, and raise up the truth and the goodness that God has distributed among men and nations, and to purify them from error and evil "for the glory of God, the confusion of the demon, and the happiness of man."361

1 Like

Interesting. But the Cajuns have the tradition of the traiteur who used herbal medicines and invoked the saints. Many of the native Americans used legitimate healing folk medicines. Intertwined within animistic/shamanistic beliefs are actual working medicines. Where does one draw the line?

[quote=brotherhrolf]Interesting. But the Cajuns have the tradition of the traiteur who used herbal medicines and invoked the saints. Many of the native Americans used legitimate healing folk medicines. Intertwined within animistic/shamanistic beliefs are actual working medicines. Where does one draw the line?
[/quote]

The problem isn’t with the herbal medicines themselves, but with the associated invocation of spirits. If by “invoking the saints” one means prayer, nothing wrong with that. If it means calling down their power as an incantation or as a formula as part of the cure, that is superstitious. In short, if someone wants to use traditional medicine sans the hocus pocus, no problemo.

1 Like

hola amigos!!!

i dont know in the U.S. , but here in Mexico the curanderos and the egg thing and others are so powerfull because people dont know much of the CC (let me explain: people dont go to mass, but in dec 12 our lady of Guadalupe day, MAN you cant go to the basilica because its jam, 1000s of people, and some NEVER GO TO MASS, but that day they must go to the basilica or it is a sin)
what i try to say is this: if you let the curanderos or the tarot to influence you you will surely drift away from the church, i have seen that happen a lot, I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AND GOOD LUCK.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.