Curial cardinal to consecrate church in United Arab Emirates [CWN]

Cardinal Fernando Filoni, the prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, has traveled to the United Arab Emirates to consecrate a new church that will seat 1,500. …

More…

Wonderful news, it seems.

In Dubai alone, there are only 1-2 churches, each having over 100,000 parishioners. Sunday Masses have to be offered on Friday-Sunday to accommodate the numbers and various language groups.

Yay!!! I hope there are security precautions, as well…

I’m confused. Gulf muslim states lack sufficient population to staff their industry so they import catholic Phillipinos to do the work? Up to 10% of the population?

Meanwhile, European nations have had a dearth of young people (few local babies) for decades, so they’ve opened up immigration to Mediterranean area muslims? Wouldn’t we have a lot less cultural strife if the Gulf states imported the Med muslims and Europe imported Phillipinos?

Or does suggesting such a thing make me a bigoted neanderthal? :wink:

8,500 pack new Catholic church in United Arab Emirates

Photos of St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church

bellevision.com/belle/index.php?action=headlines&type=285

Having worked and lived in the Arabian peninsula for almost 10 years, Catholicism is very much alive and well there. People are dying to go to Mass. There are even Mass services in Saudi Arabia. Those are ministered by “knight rider” priests from all over the world.

I swear I remember seeing a group of nuns walking out of Ikea in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia once. They were in their habit.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name—there am I in the midst of them.

Deo gratias! Pray for the conversion of souls! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.