Curious - Bible references "walked with God"?

Currently on Hebrews in our Bible study, and the commentary (as well as the text) refers back to examples of faith in the OT, such as Enoch and Noah - both of whom “walked with God”. Just curious who else was specifically described as having “walked with God”?

In Enoch’s case it indicates (or seems to indicate) he didn’t die, but was rather taken up by God directly into heaven. I’d like to know if this is also associated with the others referred to by the terminology.

Or, a link to a good website for me to do my own research would also be great :slight_smile: I’m a timid internet user who tries not to go to sites unless recommended by a trusted source. Thanks!

Since YHWH is not a physical being., than, of course a tangible act is not meant. It also says in the OT that some people walked in the ways of the Lord all their lives. Like Adam walking with YHWH in the Garden there is an intimacy that is implied that coincides with doing the will of God. Hope that helps.
There is a great commentary on Genesis by Nahum Sarna which i’d recommend to anyone involved with Bible studies. It’s in paperback and can be bought used or new for a reasonable price.

Elijah didn’t die either but was taken up. Although my copy doesn’t say he walked with God, it actually described how it looked to Ehisha who watched.

Thank you :slight_smile: Here’s what I have so far:

Genesis 5:24 (NAB) “Then Enoch walked with God, and he was no longer here for God took him.”

Genesis 6:9-10 (NAB) “These are the descendants of Noah. NOah, a good man and blameless in that age, for he walked with God, begot three sons: Shem, Ham and Japeth.”

Genesis 9:29 (NAB) “The whole lifetime of Noah was nine hundred and fifty years; then he died.”

2 Kings 2:11 (NAB) “As they walked on conversing, a flaming chariot and flaming horses came between them and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.”

So…we have one “walked with God” who was taken up to heaven, one “walked with God” who died, and one taken up to heaven, no mention of “walked with God”.

Okay, I’m getting a better grasp on this. Sorry if I don’t seem to be communicating effectively. With this bible study in particular, I read the commentary and it seems (to my brain at least) to be making connections that either I just don’t get or I make connections that are not really there (as above). Either way, they tend to dance around in my head with understanding just beyond my grasp.

Obviously, I get the up front idea that these were holy men, the phrase indicating their close personal relationship with God, and that two of them did not die but were rather taken up by God. I just felt there was an underlying significance to the phrase “walked with God” that I might have been overlooking. Or it could just be a reflection of my past experiences where I had always thought something was one way … only to find out through study that there was a whole background meaning that I had never been aware of. (Such as the tearing of the curtain when Jesus died).

Thanks again for putting up with me. I’m very much an ignorant beginner when it comes to scripture, and I know I don’t always communicate well :slight_smile:

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.