Curious question. Could the Devil (Satan) repent?

I’m curious. Is it possible? Could Jesus’s death cover his sins?

No he cannot repent.

Why?

(16 annoying characters)

He chose and his choice is final, now he has no Grace from God in him to repent.

No. Unlike humans, angels’ choices are final.

Really? Well thanks for the answer

Wow. God is more merciful to us then his angels

Don’t think of it as, “poor satan, even if he wanted to repent he couldn’t.” It’s more like “poor satan, he never can and never will want to repent.”

No, the Angels have a fixed will.

I see. Ok thanks for the info!

I’m not sure if it can be done, but I don’t think it will be done.

Jesus died for man, and only man, as far as I know. I don’t know of any other creatures that Jesus died for, or if His death for man applies to all creatures.

Also, I think it’s already been made clear that he Devil will not repent. The question of whether or not he can, I think, is a different question that I don’t know the answer to.

It’s not a question of mercy. Angelic beings are fundamentally different than human beings.

Is there doctrine about angels not being able to repent? Is this found in the Bible

Angels have an intelligence and power of reason far superior to us. Their free will also operates differently. When they were created they only had one choice to make…to follow God or not. Once that choice was made it was final.

They had all the necessary information necessary to make the choice and the intellect to reason it out in a manner that we never could. That is why their place is now fixed.

Adam and Eve had a similar choice, but they lacked the “birds eye view” that the angels had, therefore the consequences were lesser.

I’m not sure, to be honest. I’ve only been taught these things. Even as a Protestant I was taught this, so my suspicion is that there is a very clear verse on this somewhere.

I believe that the idea behind Satan’s non-repentant future is that he beheld God in all the splendor that he could observe, and still rejected Him. Satan won’t repent because there’s nothing that would change his idea of God.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the Angels that sinned, but delivered them, drawn down with infernal ropes into hell to be tormented, to be reserved unto judgment.

how do we know this

Aquinas on angels is good. There’s also a good book I have somewhere. I’ll try to find it and get the name.

Like I said I’m not sure. My suspicion is there is a good reason for this belief, but I don’t know it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.