Curious...

Why pray to saints that lived during and after the time of Christ, but not those who lived before the Messiah?

In Job 19:25, Job said “I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.”
Obviously, Job knew Christ. So isn’t he a saint too?

In John, 8:56, Jesus said “Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
So doesn’t Abraham fit into the category of “saint?”

I realize that they weren’t Roman Catholic, but then again they were the true church… Your thoughts?

All the souls in heaven are saints. When Jesus died He descended to the dead (Abraham’s bosom) to bring all those who were waiting to the Kingdom of God. So, yes, anyone before or after Christ who is in heaven is a saint. The canonization process evolved within the established Church so that is why we recognize those who died after Christ. John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets and we know that he is in heaven. You have it right. Have a Merry Christmas!! :slight_smile:

The Church doesn’t prohibit praying to the Saints you mentioned like Abraham, Judith, Moses, but I don’t think it’s commonly done. When I happen to be thinking of a Saint, whether ancient or more recent, is to thank God for all the gifts, graces and blessings He bestowed on that Saint and that He bestows on us through that Saint’s intercession. Rejoicing with the Saints is a wonderful grace to have, a foretaste of Heaven. I also ask the Lord to help me to learn from that Saint and to grow in His Grace.

Hope this helps. Hope you have a Blessed and Holy Christmas.:smiley:

I pray to Moses now and then.

Many Eastern Catholic Churches have feast days and devotions to the Old Testament patriarchs.

-Tim-

I have prayed for the intercession of Old Testament greats, such as Moses, as well.

As a Church we do, but it’s more common in the East than in the West. For instance: This Tuesday is the Feast of Sts. Adam & Eve.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.